Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
They do that in most public schools too.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
They do that in most public schools too.
So my first thought was, "Oh no they don't." Because that's basically what this thread is about, and everyone is saying you can only move up a grade in one subject -- math or language arts.

Then I realized that it might be true, but it's just not always "official" (that's not the right word, but I can't think of a better one right now). For instance, when my dd started 1st grade, she was reading at the level of an end of year 2nd grader. They didn't "officially" move her to 2nd grade (or 3rd grade) for reading, but they did provide her with appropriate grade level materials based on her ability.

Is that what you're talking about?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
So my first thought was, "Oh no they don't." Because that's basically what this thread is about, and everyone is saying you can only move up a grade in one subject -- math or language arts.

Then I realized that it might be true, but it's just not always "official" (that's not the right word, but I can't think of a better one right now). For instance, when my dd started 1st grade, she was reading at the level of an end of year 2nd grader. They didn't "officially" move her to 2nd grade (or 3rd grade) for reading, but they did provide her with appropriate grade level materials based on her ability.

Public schools can move a child up a grade level if they are advanced in all areas and if the family agrees with this plan for the child, socially. The biggest concern IMO with a child skipping a grade is, are they emotionally mature enough to handle it. When I was in elementary school a boy in our grade skipped either first or second grade. He was the youngest in his grade and a bit immature compared to peers at times but he was very bright and it was the right decision for him.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:

It is true that you can't do SSA for both LA and math. The school system says you can stay in your current grade and move up in one subject. If you are advanced enough to move up in both LA and math, they can and do, let kids advance a whole grade. The thing with LA is that it's easily accommodated for in their own grade level, so many people choose to to do SSA in math only and allow teachers to differentiate for LA in the classroom rather than moving up a grade level.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Public schools can move a child up a grade level if they are advanced in all areas and if the family agrees with this plan for the child, socially. The biggest concern IMO with a child skipping a grade is, are they emotionally mature enough to handle it. When I was in elementary school a boy in our grade skipped either first or second grade. He was the youngest in his grade and a bit immature compared to peers at times but he was very bright and it was the right decision for him.
I know they *can*, but it in 8 years in WCPSS, I've never seen it actually happen. I realize that my sample size (my kids' classrooms) is small, so...yeah. But it seems like I always see posts from folks talking about private schools or other school systems where kids are regularly moved up a grade, and it seems incredibly rare in public school here.

FWIW - I was a year ahead (a billion years ago). I did fine, but looking back (and watching my own kids now), I realize that I probably would have been better off in a lot of ways if I hadn't skipped ahead.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I know they *can*, but it in 8 years in WCPSS, I've never seen it actually happen. I realize that my sample size (my kids' classrooms) is small, so...yeah. But it seems like I always see posts from folks talking about private schools or other school systems where kids are regularly moved up a grade, and it seems incredibly rare in public school here.

FWIW - I was a year ahead (a billion years ago). I did fine, but looking back (and watching my own kids now), I realize that I probably would have been better off in a lot of ways if I hadn't skipped ahead.
I have no idea how often it is done in WCPSS. Maybe they prefer to do what you stated and provide advanced course work and keep kids with their are group.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 PM

I know 3 kids in WCPSS who were grade advanced, one is my neighbor and another is in my girl scout troop another is a friend of that neighbor. I know a couple where it was being discussed but in the end, the parents didn't want to (which I think is generally a good choice).
I don't think it happens often, nor should it, but I also don't think it happens that often in private school either due to academic performance, I hear more often in terms of kids who didn't make the cut off by a few days and the private school lets them move up.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Actually make that 4, I just remembered another one that our school moved up a grade in 4th.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
I know 3 kids in WCPSS who were grade advanced, one is my neighbor and another is in my girl scout troop another is a friend of that neighbor. I know a couple where it was being discussed but in the end, the parents didn't want to (which I think is generally a good choice).
I don't think it happens often, nor should it, but I also don't think it happens that often in private school either due to academic performance, I hear more often in terms of kids who didn't make the cut off by a few days and the private school lets them move up.
WCPSS wanted to move me up a grade in 3nd grade and my mom didn't want me moved. This was... let's just say it was some time ago.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:55 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Actually make that 4, I just remembered another one that our school moved up a grade in 4th.
I know two kids on Wake Forest in the past 5 years. We talked about it for my daughter but it just didn't seem the right choice at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary