Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 PM

55 posts, read 98,871 times

Advertisements

Austincool: You think Austin is a better fit, but I'm wondering, have you visited, or did you once live in Austin at one point? The reason I ask is I notice you're currently located in Charlotte, NC, is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 9,854 times
I think Raleigh is a much better place to live than Austin TX. Raleigh has great weather, you have all four seasons. Hot summers cool winters with some snow every once in a while, and spring and fall have warm days and get cool at night. Lots of fun things to do in Raleigh. Lots of museums, lots of great restaurants, and many fun festivals downtown. Raleigh is 2 hours away from the ocean, and 3 hours away from the mountains. I think Raleigh is the way to go!

Old 09-29-2014, 08:00 AM

139 posts, read 150,887 times
You mentioned Broadway shows. I'm not sure what the theater scene in Austin is like, but in Raleigh/Durham it is pretty good. You have DPAC in Durham and the theater in Raleigh - I haven't lived in the area in while but it used to be called memorial auditorium. They get the Broadway tour shows and there are also operas and ballets, lots of different things. I really like DPAC because there are several good restaurants within walking distance of the theater.

I grew up in Cary and my parents also moved from CA after choosing between Austin and the triangle area.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM

elik98 & Fromageball: Thanks for the great info on Raleigh! I'm so glad to hear about the museums, restaurants, festivals, and particularly the opportunity to see Broadway-series plays, opera, and ballet!! Plus, let's face it, I'm outdoorsy, and the fact that I could be 2-3 hours from the ocean and 3-4 hours from the mountains makes my decision much easier! I'm relieved to hear of these opportunities for fun, enjoyment, and adventure in the Triangle area! Thanks for your help! Appreciate hearing from you. Also, Fromageball, I'm glad to learn your folks were choosing between Raleigh and Austin and inevitably chose Raleigh!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,725,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouxSoleil View Post
My husband has an equally stable opportunity in both locations, but I must find something suitable after our relocation.
Care to give us hints as to what field you'd be looking in?

I do believe the two cities (Metro areas) are similar: both capital cities with a large university presence, both liberal spots in a conservative state, both having booming population growth, to where BOTH cities are suffering from infrastructure overload due to so many moving there so fast. Texas overall probably has a better job market, but you didn't say what field you'd be looking in. Texas is probably hotter but NC likely more humid (summer is going to be oppressive either place).

It probably comes down to visiting both places and seeing which one "calls to you" more. There is only so much a bunch of folks on the Internet can tell you about what YOU would like better.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 PM

97 posts, read 169,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Care to give us hints as to what field you'd be looking in?

I do believe the two cities (Metro areas) are similar: both capital cities with a large university presence, both liberal spots in a conservative state, both having booming population growth, to where BOTH cities are suffering from infrastructure overload due to so many moving there so fast. Texas overall probably has a better job market, but you didn't say what field you'd be looking in. Texas is probably hotter but NC likely more humid (summer is going to be oppressive either place).

It probably comes down to visiting both places and seeing which one "calls to you" more. There is only so much a bunch of folks on the Internet can tell you about what YOU would like better.
This. What is your job, OP?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,215,355 times
I think the OP said on another thread that she is a technical writer, IIRC.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:14 PM

Francois: Thanks for your input. I'm a technical writer, so I can work from anywhere, really. (B.A. in communication & M.S. in communication with emphasis in tech writing).

I DO understand that a "bunch of folks on the internet," as you say, cannot adequately choose for ME where I should move; however, I do believe there is value in hearing the thoughts of the local residents of a given area, as they've spent many years, often a lifetime, in an area and are capable of discerning much about an area that cannot be surmised in a week visit. I was hoping to learn from the observations of the residents of these interesting towns. Again, thanks for your thoughts!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,284 times
I moved here over 30 years ago from atlanta with a degree in retailing and SO did NOT want to move here and now you cant pay me to move. I Love so many things about Raleigh! I love the location the very most. It is 2 hrs from the beach, 3 hrs from the mountains. Easy access to so many places if needed, but staying right here there is always something going on and Raleigh gets better and better every day. The Bluegrass festival this weekend is huge, the State Fair is a cant miss thing eery year and always in combination with parade of Homes coming up. RTP has plenty of opportunities and more companies moving here every year. It has been a great place to raise a family, I think a very family oriented place. I could see if you were young in 20's low 30's it might not have enough great restaurants, but i think we have a lot. Downtown is really starting to take off. So whether you want the lake,beach or the mountains or a great town to do many activities, it has been a wonderful place to be!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,015,913 times
[quote=Francois;36693888]Texas is probably hotter but NC likely more humid (summer is going to be oppressive either place).

You can get rid of the word "probably". I have lived in both states and it's much hotter and more oppressive during Texas' Summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary