Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:31 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,287,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

It's completely gorgeous here today, btw, sunny, relatively low humidity and 77. Beautiful September day.
That is certainly not indicative of the average summer day in Triangle area NC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 01:05 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,215,355 times
No, but it's not unusual for Sept, either. Had friends from California come visit several years ago and we had nothing but perfect low humidity California weather. I was disappointed because I wanted to torture them with some humidity but it was gorgeous like this the whole time they were here, darn it.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:52 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,071,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Boone, NC --- "The High Country".
We just sold our Cary property to developers. 75 new houses for y'all!
Did you live off Indian Trail?

Old 09-20-2014, 02:20 PM

55 posts, read 98,871 times
I've been away this morning and just jumped on here to see all these amazingly helpful comments and insightful thoughts on Austin vs Raleigh. Wow! I love this forum! Honestly, I joined this site and started these threads with the hope of hearing some comparative analysis posted by residents of Raleigh or Austin (or those researching the area!), and your comments have exceeded my hopes and expectations! Thanks!

While living in Minneapolis these past years, I had always wanted to pick up and move to Raleigh. I had researched the Triangle area thoroughly and felt quite certain Raleigh was the place for me…then I began to hear about Austin, and started to reconsider my choice. I've been in CA for just a short time, here only temporarily, but when I move this next time, I want to be a permanent transplant to my new city, so it's important to me that I make the right decision.

Trust me when I say I will not complain about how great it was where I used to live, because the "good ole' days" were in Minneapolis where I was literally freezing my butt off!! And I'm serious about that! Minneapolis is a great town, progressive and forward thinking, with many outdoorsy types and exercise enthusiasts and healthy eaters and folks who love great art and great culture (broadway series, live theatre, live music…), but it's such an extreme climate! Summers are hot and winters are COLD (read FRIGID!!), and there are 2 days of spring and fall in between. It truly is a 2 season city. Winter and summer. Frigid and humid.

I'm loving these helpful comments and I think you all have helped me make my decision! I'm glad to hear that the good folks of NC are willing to accept newcomers. I'm not a Northerner. Not at all. Was born and raised in OH. Lived in KY for years (that's a story!). Transplanted to MN for years after that. So, I'm much more of a midwesterner, actually.

It helped to hear that Prof46 thinks there's a difference between NC hot and TX hot. I truly believe Raleigh is a place I can settle. And, like others on here have mentioned, when in Austin, driving 3 hours in any direction would still land me somewhere in Texas (and not the Austin part of TX)...but with Raleigh, I can visit Boone, and the hills of NC, as well as Charlotte and D.C. and NYC and the east coast and Asheville….the list is endless…
I plan to make my move to Raleigh next summer!

Last edited by DouxSoleil; 09-20-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 03:45 PM

North_Raleigh_Guy: So glad to hear the triangle has many transplants! Sounds like I'll feel at home from the beginning!
take57: Your comments have been so insightful and have been exactly what I needed to hear to make a solid decision, particularly the "driving 3 hours in any direction…,still in TX" and "access to the Eastern seaboard," as those thoughts are quite significant and had not even entered my mind, I'm sad to say. These two comments alone have prevented me from making a poor decision. Additionally, your comments on the arts and culture scene are also important thoughts as well.
Now…the question is: Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill….any thoughts?

Old 09-20-2014, 03:55 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,554,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Did you live off Indian Trail?
On Indian Wells Road.
I didn't want to stay around to see the trees, gardens and homes bulldozed --- and then see them put up a "Tree Protection Zone".
I'm not sure, but I heard the homes will be in the 600k+ category.
We lived there for thirty years, so it's a bittersweet trip to the bank.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:38 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,215,355 times
You should definitely come and visit.

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill all have slightly different flavors. Chapel Hill (and its sister town Carrboro) are the quintessential college town, home to UNC, which has a huge sphere of influence on the town since it is much bigger in comparison to the population of the town, vs Duke to Durham or NC State to Raleigh. Durham is a very interesting mix of a historically blue collar tobacco town, thriving African American merchant center, and academia in Duke. Parts of Durham can be a little bit more gritty, but in the past 10 years its undergone a huge revitalization and has great creative energy right now. Check out the refurbished American Tobacco Campus. Raleigh is the state capital, home to NC State, has lots of great museums, and has a lot of interesting stuff going on (chocolate!). It's known as a great place to raise a family, but I have plenty of single friends who live there, too.

I know folks who live in all parts of the Triangle and everybody seems to like where they landed. It's easy enough to get from one part to another part for a special event (music, art, theater, etc), although you would want to watch where you landed w/ respect to a commute time if you anticipate having an office job.

You really have to come visit and then it's usually pretty apparent which area appeals to you the most.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:46 PM

660 posts, read 1,000,536 times
I have visited RoaminRebel -- a while ago though. I'm headed back for a week in October. So, I'm relying on tons of online research, a friend who has been in Raleigh for 15 years, and my own experience. I'm fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Did you actually visit or just rely on your friends' advice who may or may not like to admit they don't like the place they chose..

Old 09-20-2014, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the survey, poppydog! Helpful stuff! Yes, I hope to make a trip this fall. Perhaps October or November…but for the moment am thinking I'll land somewhere in Raleigh. I've heard the Cary and Holly Springs areas, just south of Raleigh (I think?!), are lovely places. Plan to check out both of those areas during my visit. Any thoughts on suburbs? I currently live in downtown Sunnyvale, CA, amidst some tall buildings (Broadcom, city center…), but am thinking I won't pursue the downtown lifestyle there in Raleigh.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 19,949 times
Hello DouxSoleil,

I read that you made your decision on Raleigh and its a wise one. I'm originally from New York and moved to Texas a year and half ago and can't stand it here. The only reason we moved here was for my husband's job. My husband is interviewing for a job in the Triangle so we are crossing our fingers it works out. I thought I would never say that I would miss the 4 seasons but I truly do. The weather is Texas is not at all enjoyable and miss seeing trees(sounds funny I know).

Best of Luck and enjoy NC!!! Hopefully, I will be there soon too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary