U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 PM

242 posts, read 732,777 times

Advertisements

Meetings are in the evening, so generally, there is no hunt after the meetings. They try to get a group hunt together a few times a year, but people usually buddy up and hunt with one or two others. A club is a great way to get started in any hobby.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:46 PM

237 posts, read 705,483 times
So glad to see this. I have been asking for the last 3 years about a club or someone looking to have a buddy situation. My husband is a big detectorist and professional numismatist who loves to hunt. If anyone wants to get together outside the club situation please let me know. I would like him to have someone to go with one day a week.
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 PM

258 posts, read 626,284 times
I have a nice detector I got as a present a few years ago....shortly after the dog chewed up the instructions....I would love to also have info on the club, or maybe someone in the WF area who would like to show me how the darn thing works, it has fancy dials and whatnot but right now I couldn't tell the difference between a mt dew can and a gold bar....and so far when I have tried to use it I only find cans and junk

Old 09-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
I have a nice detector I got as a present a few years ago....shortly after the dog chewed up the instructions....I would love to also have info on the club, or maybe someone in the WF area who would like to show me how the darn thing works, it has fancy dials and whatnot but right now I couldn't tell the difference between a mt dew can and a gold bar....and so far when I have tried to use it I only find cans and junk
Tell me the make and model. I might be able to locate a manual for you.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 PM

258 posts, read 626,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsnc View Post
Tell me the make and model. I might be able to locate a manual for you.
I will try and find it....in a closet somewhere...however I would most likely need to be "shown" vs reading....I learn better with some things that way...you know how it goes "show me once " and I get it...give me the book and I am screwed lol

Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
rwsnc

saw u all meet at Ridge Rd Baptist Church at 7:30 on every 4 Mon.
Are there women and men in club with metal detectors?
Just got one and want to get started. Live in west Cary.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnabyers View Post
rwsnc

saw u all meet at Ridge Rd Baptist Church at 7:30 on every 4 Mon.
Are there women and men in club with metal detectors?
Just got one and want to get started. Live in west Cary.
Hi and welcome to the sport. Lots of fun and excitement.
As for the club... I joined but don't really attend the meetings. According to the member list, there is one female. Feel free to drop by the next meeting and introduce yourself. They are a pretty good bunch of folks and I'm sure that you'll be welcomed.

Did you find your first silver coin yet?

Bob

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,390 times
I retired last year and staying at home was not going to work so I bought a metal detector. Well if you believe in the, "Keep it simple stupid", I blew it. I need help learning how to use this Minelab E Trac. Any help would be apprecated. I live in West End, NC but would be willing to come to you for a lessons.

Chuck

Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 AM

Chuck,
I too have a Minelab, but not the E trac. That's a good detector and they can all be a little complicated in the beginning. You can find instructional videos on the Minelab website and the Kellyco website. There's a variety of videos on YouTube.

Stay with it, you'll get it.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM

2,464 posts, read 3,712,154 times
When I was a kid, my grandfather had a detector, and I would go with him sometimes. It was fascinating, the prospect of finding "treasure" but the nicest thing we ever found was coins (dime, penny,etc). He let me borrow it a few times and I searched my own yard....did find a bayonet one time....that I'm sure someone just lost or dropped in my backyard!

Occasionally I think back to those days, and look at the costs of a decent detector, and am quickly dissuaded from the prospect of ever buying one. I know a few people who own them, and they have never found anything. It may be fun, I might thoroughly enjoy it, but dropping $1000+ on a decent detector has kept me from moving any further than just thinking about it.

How much did you guys spend to get started? Do you detect on public land, or private land? What are the laws regarding that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary