U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,691,383 times

Advertisements

The Triangle isn't too terribly far from Virginia, roughly an hour south of the state line and 2 and 1/2 hours from Richmond. VA license plates are a common site around the Triangle, but do you think it's common for many people in our area to visit Virginia? Possibly visits to Jamestown, Colonial Willamsburg/Busch Gardens, and Kings Dominion are the most common reasons why NC'ers around the Triangle visit Virginia. From my experiences, it's rare to hear, "Oh, I have to go to Richmond for a few days" or something along those lines. Out of curiosity, any opinions?

Last edited by JayJayCB; 09-22-2014 at 02:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM

34,799 posts, read 31,704,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Triangle isn't too terribly far from Virginia, roughly an hour south of the state line and 2 and 1/2 hours from Richmond. VA license plates are a common site around the Triangle, but do you think it's common for many people in our area to visit Virginia? Possibly visits to Jamestown, Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens, and Kings Dominion are the most common reasons why NC'ers around the Triangle visit Virginia. From my experiences, it's rare to hear, "Oh, I have to go to Richmond for a few days" or something along those lines. Out of curiosity, any opinions?
I think people go to the places you mentioned. Also, to Williamsburg. That's pretty popular. And then, there's The DC area, which is another popular tourist destination for NC residents.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:51 PM

639 posts, read 614,911 times
We just took our 9 year old to Williamsburg/Busch Gardens/Water Country USA. We had a lovely trip. I would imagine many families from here go.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,077 times
Williamsburg and vicinity? Definitely. Also some Kings Dominion devotees in the Triangle although Carowinds is about equal distance away. Visits to the Tidewater or central Virginia (Charlottesville, etc)? Not so much. Nor is Richmond itself much of an attraction. Just about anything in Richmond itself, culturally or in merchandise, is available in the Triangle.

Northern Virginia is another story.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:40 PM

10,593 posts, read 8,032,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Nor is Richmond itself much of an attraction. Just about anything in Richmond itself, culturally or in merchandise, is available in the Triangle.
I agree with you that Richmond isn't a huge tourist destination, but if you're into History, it has way more going on than the Triangle.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:10 PM

566 posts, read 608,535 times
We go every two years or so and spend a few days at Busch Gardens and the GWL down the road

Old 09-22-2014, 03:16 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,689,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Triangle isn't too terribly far from Virginia, roughly an hour south of the state line and 2 and 1/2 hours from Richmond. VA license plates are a common site around the Triangle, but do you think it's common for many people in our area to visit Virginia? Possibly visits to Jamestown, Colonial Willamsburg/Busch Gardens, and Kings Dominion are the most common reasons why NC'ers around the Triangle visit Virginia. From my experiences, it's rare to hear, "Oh, I have to go to Richmond for a few days" or something along those lines. Out of curiosity, any opinions?
People visit the attractions you mention of course....but it's not really a go to vacation spot.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:19 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,691,383 times
Richmond would be fantastic if you're into the Civil War, so I imagine many Civil War buffs in NC visit that area often. Also, there was A TON of fighting just outside the city, Petersburg is a great example. That's probably it, though. I imagine there isn't much else in Richmond that we don't already have in the Triangle. Charlottesville is roughly 3 hours north, and although I've been many times, I wouldn't place money that it's as popular as the Willamsburg area for NC'ers. However, Monticello is definitely worth the visit along with the University of Virginia. A bit similar to Chapel Hill, loads of history! I think the main reason why Virginia isn't more popular is the fact that southern Virginia (areas closer to the Triangle) is quite remote, you really have to drive an hour into Virginia before you run into anything worth stopping for. Then again, it's kind of the same with North Carolina. I-85 between Durham and Petersburg is quite remote!

Old 09-22-2014, 04:52 PM

1,840 posts, read 2,703,364 times
Virginia Beach, Williamsburg and Kings Dominion and possibly the Charlottesville area/Thomas Jefferson Estate. Richmond not so much I'm thinking unless one has friends or family there.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 PM

9,145 posts, read 13,707,162 times
I go there quite frequently - mostly to Northern Virginia to visit friends and take in the sites of DC. But we also go to Williamsburg and Jamestown, the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, and Skyline Drive/Shenandoah Mountains. So much history in Virginia. That's one of the reasons I love it there so much. I head up to Virginia at least every other month - usually once per month in the summer. Virginia is a GORGEOUS state. But I'm a Virginian, so I may be biased. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary