Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:30 PM

610 posts, read 745,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They have adamantly told me they do not want to go to Disney ever.
Wow, those are some unusual kids. Most kids would love to go to Disney.

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale, we'd go up to Disney around every other year or so. The kids loved it as did I. The husband tolerated it. It's the only Florida thing I miss.

Regular amusement parks aren't fun for me anymore. I love coasters, but with severe spine issues, my roller coaster days are done. Alas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
I don't think the area is lacking in things to do, at the same time it would be a very cool addition and would bring in more tourism. I do think since Emerald Pointe depending on where you are at in the Triangle can be like 50 minutes to an hour and some change, and Carowinds also being 2 hours and some change does affect one coming here.

All and all I don't think they need a amusement park but think something like great wolf lodge( with out you having to get room) would be cool, not a big park, like one giant a** in door wave pool, slides, maybe a few other water related rides, would be nice.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Amusement/theme parks are built for kids/teens not grumpy old farts. Anybody who thinks their kid wouldn't have a blast at Carowinds (for a day each year) is just simply misguided or have brainwashed them into a dull existence. No, it isn't necessary but neither is ice cream or cake at birthday parties.

I think RDU could support a small theme park and it would be an asset to the area. I'm not sure why it'd be a problem traffic wise, neither Kings Dominion or Carowinds impact Richmond or Charlotte's traffic flow since they're obviously located quite a distance from the central city.

NC has always been a bit backwards (I am a native) with establishing common forms of entertainment. Neither Charlotte, Triad or RDU have a Zoo or Aquarium (please do not count that thing at concord mills). Nothing against Asheboro but why build a state zoo out there? If anything put the state zoo in/near Greensboro to serve as a midpoint of sort. And for the life of me, why not build a large state Aquarium in Wilmington off of Front Street (or river front area) instead of scattering 3 small aquariums in sparsely populated areas along coast line...I could go on and on.
In regards to the Triad there is the Sciquarium in Greensboro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFljC51VLI

Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
The Sciquarium in Greensboro is pretty well done. It's not as big as the NC Aquariums at the beach, but very nice. We really liked the penguins and the stingrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Wow, those are some unusual kids. Most kids would love to go to Disney.
Ehhh...not that many of their friends talk about it either. A few have gone to Disney, but it's just not a big thing with their friends. My kids were never big into the Disney movies, hated princesses, etc.

They would like to go see the Harry Potter stuff at Universal, but it's the theming they're interested in rather than thrill rides, so some place like Carowinds doesn't do much for them. I mean, they'll ride a Tilt-A-Whirl or Ferris Wheel at the fair, but they're just not much into riding roller coasters or the scary rides.

And they don't like big crowds or lots of noise. We've done the State Fair a time or two, and they're good for maybe 2 or 3 hours max.

I imagine one of these years we'll drag 'em over to Carowinds, but it's really not a burning desire for them. They know it's there. Their grandma lives in Charlotte. We go to Charlotte all the time, but they've NEVER said, "please can we go to Carowinds." They do like Tweetsie a bit.

I don't know. I'm happy with what the Triangle has. Don't see any need to add an amusement park onto it. We love the museums. I think that's part of why we prefer the Triangle's vibe over Charlotte's. We're museum people and college sports people instead of Carowinds and Panthers & NASCAR people.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 PM

354 posts, read 627,115 times
First & Foremost, I have one concerned question, when people say that there isn't nothing at all to do in NC in general. What exactly is it that you all like to do, that you are not finding to do. Because I am most certain & sure that there is plenty here to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary