Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Another warning, as well; things will get worse here before they get better. Church street will be closed, but Hopson Road won't be widened near its intersection with NC54. Morrisville Parkway will be temporarily closed for 6 months towards the end of 2015. So this is basically a disaster brewing. If you really want something to push for short term, push for getting Hopson widened all the way to NC 54 (Project ID# U-4719D).
Noooo! I'm already dreading Morrisville Pkwy closing for 6 months. I can't even imagine how horrific traffic will be on M'ville-Carpenter & McCrimmon. If the 2 week period it was closed this summer is any indication, I may need to stock up on supplies and plan to be a shut-in for those 6 months.

As for Hopson -- I switched jobs, and drive down it every day now. They seem to be doing some sort of construction on the west side of 54. I was wondering what that was. Is it part of the widening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 11:29 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
I am dreading the Morrisville Parkway closing. Six months! It is a road we use and routing around it will be a PITA.
Same! It's the quickest route to work for me. The detour will add another 5-10 mins to my commute.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:16 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
The traffic on McCrimmon Parkway towards 54 during the morning 8-9 is horrible. Same thing in the evening from 540 west -exit 69 onto 54 towards McCrimmon Parkway. I am seeing a separate right lane from McCrimmon to Church st, a similar right turn from McCrimmon to 54 would be very helpful to ease the traffic.

Is anything being done or we need to start some kind of a campaign to have the town/DOT realize how bad it is ?
In my view the traffic situation on McCrimmon Parkway in Morrisville was made worse when Tolls were introduced on the the section of 540 between NC54 and NC55 which was previously 'free' as a taxpayer funded highway until it was gifted to the NC Turnpike Authority. Many West Cary residents stopped using 540 when Tolls were introduced and use Morrisville Carpenter and McCrimmon as an alternative to 540. Maybe lowering the Toll on the previously 'free' section would help alleviate conjestion on McCrimmon, but pigs will fly before that happens

Another alternative would be for Town of Cary and NC DOT to build the 200 yards of paved road on Morrisville Parkway from Green Level so 540 becomes so much more convenient for over 30,000 West Cary Residents that it becomes their route of choice avoiding the 3 mile trek to 540 / NC55 intersection. Not only would that be a major convenience for Cary residents it would alleviate significant traffic from West Cary roads and McCrimmon in Morrisville. The other big winner would be the Turnpike Authority as it would seduce motorists onto their current under used highway. How expensive would it be to build 200 yards of paved road? OR will the ToC and DOT continue to milk West Cary taxpayers and not provide the infrastructure required by a new neighborhood of 30,000 people? Only recently a Developer built a 500 yard extension (at their expense) to Morrisville Parkway which currently has Zero traffic, and it requires that final 200 yards to connect to 540 and solve a serious traffic conjestion problem.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:25 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
The project you are talking about is under way by Cary. They have approved the expenditure and the DOT has agreed to pay for the ramps from Morrisville Pkwy to 540 though it may be after Morrisville is connected.

http://www.townofcary.org/Department...svillepkwy.htm

Old 09-28-2014, 12:37 AM

610 posts, read 746,227 times
This summer was rugged for roads. All three - McCrimmon and both Morrisvilles are roads we use constantly. My poor hubby uses them daily during rush. At one point, all three had construction going and I was sitting there going, "Really? Why not leave one alone until the other two are done."

But they have their reasons, I guess.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
This summer was rugged for roads. All three - McCrimmon and both Morrisvilles are roads we use constantly. My poor hubby uses them daily during rush. At one point, all three had construction going and I was sitting there going, "Really? Why not leave one alone until the other two are done."

But they have their reasons, I guess.
Don't forget a section of Cary Parkway was also closed.

Honestly I wish they'd do more road construction in the Morrisville area. It's so badly needed that I'd be happy to do it all and get it over with. Unfortunately though, the money just isn't there.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 AM

656 posts, read 1,207,773 times
Quote:
You are welcome to contact the town of Morrisville, local Norfolk Southern management, the North Carolina Railroad, and NCDOT to try. Regarding getting a lane added, I wouldn't be too optimistic. Railroads and their lawyers aren't very good at "understanding" anything that compromises their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders, which involves vigorously defending their property against encroachments. More lanes at grade crossings mean more potential for terrible accidents to happen.

Even if you can manage to broker a deal among all parties, to temporarily widen the crossing until the bridge is built, legal negotiations and studies are bound to take a pretty long time. At that point it will be just wasted money since the bridge will be just a couple years away. And if we get crossing improvements in the short term, it might even inadvertently cause the ultimate solution of a bridge to become a lower priority.

However, it would be a great idea to try to push for the bridge to get built as soon as possible. Since this is a NCDOT project, you should contact your representatives in the legislature.and this would be a great time to do so since the final draft of the priority list is currently being worked on.

Another warning, as well; things will get worse here before they get better. Church street will be closed, but Hopson Road won't be widened near its intersection with NC54. Morrisville Parkway will be temporarily closed for 6 months towards the end of 2015. So this is basically a disaster brewing. If you really want something to push for short term, push for getting Hopson widened all the way to NC 54 (Project ID# U-4719D).
Thanks for the details, is there a link for the bridge project, i can send emails to people to comment for the project to happen as soon as possible!

Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
It's contemplated in the Morrisville Transportation Plan. Mentioned several places scattered throughout the document, with the specific plan shown in Appendix F (page F-6).

Old 09-29-2014, 10:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,272 times
A few links regarding the McCrimmon Parkway grade separation:

54 + More study (Town of Cary) is a study by NCDOT, NC Railroad, Cary, and Morrisville that is looking at the whole NC 54 corridor between NW Maynard and NC 540, as well as improvements to the railroad crossings at McCrimmon and Morrisville-Carpenter as well as a new one by extending Airport Blvd on a bridge over (or tunnel under) the tracks.

NCDOT project Summary Sheet NCDOT has not yet assigned this project a Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) number, so it should be referenced by its Strategic Prioritization Office of Transportation (SPOT) number, H090435-C, for now.

CAMPO, the Capital Area Metropolitan Agency, which is a body of local officials representing the different municipalities in the eastern triangle area which basically sets the priorities for how state transportation money will be spent in the area.

NC Legislature. This link will take you to a page that helps you find who is your local representative.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,773 times
Quote:
A few links regarding the McCrimmon Parkway grade separation:

54 + More study (Town of Cary) is a study by NCDOT, NC Railroad, Cary, and Morrisville that is looking at the whole NC 54 corridor between NW Maynard and NC 540, as well as improvements to the railroad crossings at McCrimmon and Morrisville-Carpenter as well as a new one by extending Airport Blvd on a bridge over (or tunnel under) the tracks.

NCDOT project Summary Sheet NCDOT has not yet assigned this project a Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) number, so it should be referenced by its Strategic Prioritization Office of Transportation (SPOT) number, H090435-C, for now.

CAMPO, the Capital Area Metropolitan Agency, which is a body of local officials representing the different municipalities in the eastern triangle area which basically sets the priorities for how state transportation money will be spent in the area.

NC Legislature. This link will take you to a page that helps you find who is your local representative.
Awesome, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary