Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 AM

352 posts, read 550,816 times

Advertisements

Thought you guys might be interested in this article about the apparent rising cost of living in the area:

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/whe...nt?oid=4254757
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 AM

637 posts, read 1,058,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
Thought you guys might be interested in this article about the apparent rising cost of living in the area:

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/whe...nt?oid=4254757
I know you're just passing it along but not much to see there, IMO. Those were heavily marketed townhomes in downtown (i.e. not exactly a surplus of building land available) with quartz countertops, hardwoods, garages, brand name everything, etc.

A home like the average family owns around here would be $800k-1.4 mil in good neighborhoods in L.A. that have pretty much zero yard (homes nearly touching each other). $270 doesn't seem crazy to me at all. Plus there are townhomes around for much less if someone wants to spend under $200k.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
I don't think anyone expected that once the downtown area was made to be appealing it would also remain cheap; it's that whole supply and demand concept hard at work.

I can still buy my house for pretty much what I paid for it seven years ago, and I live in a desirable neighborhood in North Raleigh. I don't think the cost of living has budged very much over that same period of time.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 AM

397 posts, read 805,370 times
You're always going to pay up for living in the heart of downtown Raleigh. Land and space is at a premium.

And with a trend to bring higher income people downtown with money to spend on local businesses....they want nicer surroundings and ammenities.

But it's not just downtown. The real estate market is on a huge upswing as a whole. So everybody is paying more for housing and apartments.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,609 times
Fairview Row townhomes selling for over $1 million!

Fairview Row condos in Raleigh selling for $1M-plus - Triangle Business Journal

Cost of living is quite generally going up and why Holly Springs and Clayton and Garner are rapidly growing as land is cheaper further out.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
the City of Raleigh owns plenty of land, and plenty of fairly well-concentrated land, that they can develop it into more "affordable housing" as they want. Certainly, the number one way it can be done is density. The first article linked is a wonderful opinion piece on a shangri-la method to approach.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:38 AM

Default It's relative

"A home like the average family owns around here would be $800k-1.4 mil in good neighborhoods in L.A. that have pretty much zero yard (homes nearly touching each other). $270 doesn't seem crazy to me at all."

Right, I understand. I'm currently in Alexandria near DC. Yesterday, the wife and I just went to an open house for a 1500sqf townhouse near our apartment - $500,000. The tiny single fixer-upper family homes in the area start at about 550k, nicer homes are easily 700k and up. The cheaper suburbs with an hour+ commute SFHs with a yard are about 500k+. You have to get about 1.5hour commute out of town before the houses drop to 350-400k. It's relative. The cost of living is somewhat balanced based on average salaries. There's an extremely high percentage of graduate degrees in the DC area. The other cities in the NE are expensive as well. Raleigh has more middle and working class families and so "affordable housing" is/was a draw to the area.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
There's an extremely high percentage of graduate degrees in the DC area. The other cities in the NE are expensive as well. Raleigh has more middle and working class families and so "affordable housing" is/was a draw to the area.
Raleigh is not exactly at the bottom of the barrel in the category of post-graduate degrees.
Take a look at housing cost as a multiple of salaries and you will see that Raleigh is a very reasonable place to purchase a home. Bring your $500,000 budget here and buy a home that would run 3 times that in NoVA.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Default Graduate degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Raleigh is not exactly at the bottom of the barrel in the category of post-graduate degrees.
Take a look at housing cost as a multiple of salaries and you will see that Raleigh is a very reasonable place to purchase a home. Bring your $500,000 budget here and buy a home that would run 3 times that in NoVA.
I know that the Raleigh/Durham area is one of the most educated areas in the country, but there is still a wide mix of education levels and salaries that moderate the cost of living in the area, so it's not the insanity that the DC metro is (and other big cities like SF, NYC)

Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Raleigh/Durham is very fairly priced I think and there are plenty of choices. One can choose to live in pricey 5 points or Lochmere in Cary or Wakefield. But one could also choose to live in Knightdale or Suburban Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary