Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

Seriously. And not even in a school zone.

What does one do when they get a ticket for 5 MPH over with no prior tickets? Can you go talk to the DA? Can you get it tossed? The officer said it doesn't affect insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 04:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I got pulled over the other day for having an 11 day out of date registration, which was within the 15 day grace period. Really?!

I bet if you go to court the officer won't bother to show up. Been awhile since I've gotten pulled for speeding, though, so someone with more recent experience may have other advice.

This is the second time that I've gotten pulled just because the officer felt like pulling someone. Last time it was because my license plate holder was too big.

My lesson has been learned. If a cop pulls out behind me I am taking the next turn no matter where I'm going. Don't want those guys following me trying to figure out what they can pull me for.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Wow, not in a school zone. I have heard of someone getting a ticket five over in a work zone.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:38 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post

What does one do when they get a ticket for 5 MPH over with no prior tickets? Can you go talk to the DA? Can you get it tossed? The officer said it doesn't affect insurance?
Might try internal affairs at the PD.

Sounds like this officer was trying to fill a quota.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:57 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We have a winner!

Go to court!

Old 10-02-2014, 06:29 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Usually, they clock you higher and reduce it when they write it at 5 over. The original clock speed will be documented on the ticket, if that's the case (so DA would see it).

Going to court is probably a waste of time, regardless. DA is very unlikely to just dismiss it.

Disclaimer - I am an attorney but no longer practice traffic law.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:36 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,017 times
Quote:

Ha, internal affairs.

Um, her registration was expired, thus she was pulled. An officer can't tell from the license plate if it's within 15 days of being expired but they can see it's expired. So....if you don't want to get pulled, register your car on time.

I'm sure he didn't give her a ticket anyways, so there goes your quota theory.

Alas, we live in a world of not wanting to take personal responsibiity. Ie, he pulled me to fill his quota, vs, he pulled me because it was my fault I failed to renew my registration. Why take fault when we can blame everyone else?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Ha, internal affairs.

Um, her registration was expired, thus she was pulled. An officer can't tell from the license plate if it's within 15 days of being expired but they can see it's expired. So....if you don't want to get pulled, register your car on time.

I'm sure he didn't give her a ticket anyways, so there goes your quota theory.

Alas, we live in a world of not wanting to take personal responsibiity. Ie, he pulled me to fill his quota, vs, he pulled me because it was my fault I failed to renew my registration. Why take fault when we can blame everyone else?
Don't all plates expire 15 days after the tag month end period?

Example, pulling someone over for expired tags on the 11th of the month after their plate sticker is due is pointless, because it states right on the registration the tags expire the 15th day of the month after their due date. The due date is obvious, because there is a large sticker on the plate.

It's basically a waste of time for everyone, except that the officer gets to pull someone over and hopefully find something else amiss.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Sure he can tell. He knows what day of the month it is. There's a 15 day grace period written into law. All registrations expire on the last day of the month. He pulled me over Sept 11th. He knew that I was w/in the grace period. He gave me a warning ticket and almost made me late for dropping my kid off at school for no good reason. The stupid warning ticket said I was supposed to find an officer and show them the warning ticket after I got it inspected and paid for my new sticker and then have them sign it and then I was supposed to mail it in to the highway patrol. Well, I got the flu or something and got really sick the day after I got it inspected and the registration updated so I blew that off. It was all done by the 15th and I was running a fever for the next week so no way was I tracking down a patrol officer and do that piddly mess.

My new rule is don't let a cop follow you. I saw him pull out after me. He was waiting for a speeder right after the speed limit increased trying to catch someone who put the pedal too far down. I saw him so I made sure not to speed, but he just wanted to pull me for something. He was _very_ young. Looked about 20. Highway Patrol.

The other time I got pulled for similar nonsense was also by a fresh-faced rookie cop in Chatham Co. Same deal. I saw him pull out after me and I made sure that I didn't speed. He followed me all the way from the south side of Pittsboro, around the courthouse, through town, and finally pulled me on the way out of town and told me my license plate holder was too big. My elderly mom was in the car with me that time. It was obvious he just wanted to pull someone. I also got a warning for that one.

Next time I see a law enforcement vehicle behind me, I'm turning at the next street or gas station. I'm not giving them any extra time to try to figure out something they can pull me for.

I suppose I should count myself lucky that all I got was warnings after all the stuff that's been in the news lately.

I'm a safe driver, though. I haven't had a citation or even a parking ticket, aside from these two warnings, in probably more than 20 years. I think the last one I got was when I got in a single car wreck in 1991 and woke up in the hospital with a ticket for "going too fast for conditions of the road" in my bag. No one even saw the wreck! Road was a little damp, my tires were a little worn, I skidded and overcorrected. He had no idea how fast I was going.

I can't remember the last time a cop actually clocked me and pulled me over for speeding.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-02-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:

Internal affairs isn't for this in our geographic area. I don't know of quotas, but wonder if it was a new cop or a trainee? Or if they've had complaints of speeding where Iamishra was stopped. While I am surprised they did this, it's not unheard of in smaller towns around here. Rolesville used to be known for this years ago.

Iamishra - sorry to hear this. I recently received my first in SC. I deserved it. But my insurance didn't go up. I simply paid the ticket online. See DMV website for rules about this. Maybe you could also simply pay it? I wouldn't waste money on a lawyer, or ask for a PFJ. But would like to hear from someone who may have more facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary