Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,504 times

Advertisements

It passed a couple of hours ago.

Quote:
...State Board of Education is scheduled to vote today on switching the state’s public high schools from a seven-point grading scale to a 10-point scale. It’s a change that the state’s biggest districts have been clamoring for to help make North Carolina students applying for college more competitive with peers in districts that already use the 10-point scale.
Read more here: NC Board of Education approves 10-point grading scale | Wake Ed Blog | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:42 PM

556 posts, read 946,901 times
Good. Colleges grade on ten point scales. I was (pleasantly) shocked when I started college and realized I had been a straight A student all along by university standards.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:57 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
I'm sure my 8th grader will be happy to hear this.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:00 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
I agree a 10-pt scale will help with students getting into college. And that will help for the brighter students. But I am concerned with the lower end. With the 7-pt scale, <70 is failing. But with 10-pt, it is <60. If a student only grasp 2/3 of the material, should they really pass?

Not to mention, I would assume the grading won't be modified to reflect the new grading scale.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:08 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
I grew up in a district with 10 point grading and you had to get a 65 to pass. Slight difference.

This is about norming the grading policies to align with most districts. I'm sure teachers can handle how they need to grade to reflect mastery.

And even with rubrics, grading is arbitrary. I emailed my DS' teacher in a core class last week because I was genuinely perplexed over points deducted on a part of the rubric. I've never done this before. She asked him to bring the project back to school to explain the grade, and no questions asked, added 10 points. Too late for my current 8th grader but I guess there are enough squeaky wheels that the de facto setting is to undergrade when possible to allow for parental complaints. I'll have to remember this when I have a new middle schooler next year.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And even with rubrics, grading is arbitrary. I emailed my DS' teacher in a core class last week because I was genuinely perplexed over points deducted on a part of the rubric. I've never done this before. She asked him to bring the project back to school to explain the grade, and no questions asked, added 10 points. Too late for my current 8th grader but I guess there are enough squeaky wheels that the de facto setting is to undergrade when possible to allow for parental complaints. I'll have to remember this when I have a new middle schooler next year.
Interesting. Even at the same school, I've had the exact opposite experience (I think they inflate the grades on projects). I always thought they did that to balance out the fact that on some tests, if you miss one question, you already have a B.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
This should have happened long ago. Glad to see something good is happening for education in NC!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:29 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Interesting. Even at the same school, I've had the exact opposite experience (I think they inflate the grades on projects). I always thought they did that to balance out the fact that on some tests, if you miss one question, you already have a B.
Honestly I was really POed about this grade. My child is not a good student and I felt like they were grading him on what they expected out of him. If all else failed I was going to pull the twin card, as their projects were done in essentially the same manner and their grades were vastly different. So it was even more suspicious when the grade was just changed, without me (or him) even really asking, a full 10 points higher.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:47 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,750 times
It seems that the passing grade is now lowered. Seems to be a trend...

Old 10-03-2014, 06:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Good. Colleges grade on ten point scales.
Mine didn't. A large university, it used a numeric 4 point scale using quarter point increments (although individual tests and papers were graded on a tenth of a point scale). There were no letters. Maybe we need to move away from scales that have to convert into something else and just start using raw scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary