Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:29 AM

307 posts, read 671,726 times

Advertisements

What does it say about companies in the Raleigh-Durham area that do not even acknowledge applications for employment, much less send rejection letters?

If you're involved with hiring at your company, please consider how much work and emotional capital are invested in applying for a job.

Having said that, are there any opportunities in this area for a recent graduates with liberal arts degrees and no corporate experience? Even the entry level positions listed in indeed.com, the various city, county, and state government websites, the VA, and the rest require some experience. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
It doesn't say anything about companies in the Raleigh-Durham area.
It is quite common, and has been for many years, for companies not to acknowledge applications.
No response reduces verbiage that may give the applicant anything to work with to file suit for unfair employment practices.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
From time to time I am involved in hiring for my function. Sorry, but no, unless and until you get to the point where you are speaking with one of our recruiters, you're not going to get any feedback from us just because you sent a resume in.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,715,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
What does it say about companies in the Raleigh-Durham area that do not even acknowledge applications for employment, much less send rejection letters?

If you're involved with hiring at your company, please consider how much work and emotional capital are invested in applying for a job.

Having said that, are there any opportunities in this area for a recent graduates with liberal arts degrees and no corporate experience? Even the entry level positions listed in indeed.com, the various city, county, and state government websites, the VA, and the rest require some experience. Suggestions?

What do you want to do?

I know Fidelity is pretty much always hiring to work the phones and help people with retirement decisions. If you are willing to start there and learn, you can get promotions and training for securities licensing there.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,981,702 times
I've always gotten at least an automated canned e-mail response to any application (i.e., "We've received your application, if you're a good fit, you'll hear from us. If not, we'll keep your application on file for XX days.") Sometimes an e-mail form rejection letter, sometimes not.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:17 AM

116 posts, read 172,458 times
It's nice to at least to get confirmation that your resume was received, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule. Keep plugging along. It took me two months of applying to jobs 9-5 before I landed something.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,355,889 times
Quote:

This isn't just a local phenomena; it happens all over the country, and is the norm.

Companies generally do not notify applicants of anything unless they want to interview the candidate. Otherwise, they'd spend tons of money on man-hours alone.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:10 AM

84 posts, read 159,716 times
To those saying that it would take too much time to respond to applicants... given that 90% of applications for white-collar jobs are submitted online through automated systems, it seems completely reasonable to at least expect an automated "we received your application" and another automated "sorry, the position has been filled." Personal rejection letters are of course not feasible. I had the unfortunate experience of filing applications with a company I wanted to work for for almost a year before finding out that the application was supposed to also be filed through a different email address; since this company wasn't in the habit of sending out any acknowledgement, no one would have any idea (I only found out after being lucky enough to establish a personal connection with someone there).

I have found these practices to be slightly more common here as opposed to in other regions, but that is most likely dependent on the types of industries here rather than some local hiring culture.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:31 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
Quote:
Are you certain that this is unique to the Triangle? Post this on the Work and Employment forum and I strongly suspect you'll find that this treatment is universal. If it is more prevalent here, it's probably because we have such a saturated job market for applicants, and each listing gets so many applications, they don't have time to acknowledge them like they used to (and should, IMHO).

Also, I think the fact that so many applications are done online now makes it seems less like "real people" are submitting them than in the days when people would write cover letters on real stationery and have resumes printed on fancy paper. Now it's all just a bunch of digital data.

Quote:
...are there any opportunities in this area for a recent graduates with liberal arts degrees and no corporate experience?
And sadly, with no "hard skills" nor experience, there is even less reason to acknowledge you.

Consider getting involved with a volunteer organization where you can get "corporate experience" as far as working with budgets, operations, etc., even if you pay the bills with a "McJob" as so many liberal arts new grads have to do (as did I, back in the day).
Quote:
It's nice to at least to get confirmation that your resume was received, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule.
I actually did get a "your application has been submitted" email every time I sent in an electronic application lately, to at least know that much, but it was rare for anything beyond that. I did just get a notification for something I applied for 5 months ago, that it had been filled--so sometimes they might do it, but the hiring process takes so long sometimes, you might have forgotten you even applied there before you hear anything from them if it's negative.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Semantics, perhaps, but we don't "reject" candidates. I can see little good from communicating with applicants that we choose not to interview. As it is, we get the occasional candidate (or worse, their parent) who berates us via letters and emails about the fact that we didn't hire them. Sending applicants a "no thanks" letter is only going to invite more questions about why, and more challenges that they weren't selected. Hiring is enough of a hassle as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary