Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 04:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When Trader Joe's came to Cary, I tried many things. All I could figure was people liked cheap vegetables from other countries! Or cheap wine.
Don't know about Smashburger, but the attraction for TJs for me is convenience frozen food (mandarin chicken, etc) and chocolate. They have some really good, really cheap chocolates.

Second OnlyBurger coming to Durham: http://www.wral.com/onlyburger-opens...tion/14054353/

Last edited by poppydog; 10-07-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,044 times
I like the Trader Joe's frozen mac n' cheese and their microwaveable Indian food.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
[QUOTE
There's nothing great about White Castle. It's cheap, it's always open and tastes really good when you're drunk and hungry at 2:00 AM. [/quote]

BINGO! I had forgotten the drunk part of that experience

Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
I read these threads and then I'm so excited when these establishments come to the area and then I'm sooooo disappointed when I go!

I think it is either a nostalgic thing or a different taste bud thing.

Who was it that was so excited when Chubby's Tacos opened? I waited in line to try it. Meh! I was in Greensboro, went to Friendly's. Couldn't figure out what was so special. When Trader Joe's came to Cary, I tried many things. All I could figure was people liked cheap vegetables from other countries! Or cheap wine.

The list goes on and on. So again, I think...either nostalgic or my taste buds are just different.

Next...
Friendly's is nothing about the food and all about the ice cream. The hook was that you could get an inexpensive ice cream dish if ordered with a meal. Plus, it's a very family friendly establishment with crayons and activity sheets for the kids and a diverse children's menu. If anyone ever sold Friendly's on the merits of its food, they were clearly insane.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Don't know about Smashburger, but the attraction for TJs for me is convenience frozen food (mandarin chicken, etc) and chocolate. They have some really good, really cheap chocolates.

Second OnlyBurger coming to Durham: OnlyBurger opens American Tobacco location :: Out and About at WRAL.com
Hubby gets on his "made in America" kick and hates cheap stuff from other countries.

So, when I bought frozen stuff from TJs and he read that it was ALL from other countries, he decided he didn't like it!

I did notice that the frozen broccoli that I buy from a regular grocery store has more of the florets but TJs was mostly stalks. I guess you get what you pay for!

Yes, it was ice cream we got from Friendly's. So it isn't that it is so great but that it is cheap? I thought it was all about the taste!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:37 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
....Yes, it was ice cream we got from Friendly's. So it isn't that it is so great but that it is cheap? I thought it was all about the taste!
It's not even about the taste (said the man happily surrounded nowadays by Dairy Queen), it's about knowing, going in, that you're getting ice cream for dessert. And if it's cheap(er), I don't recall.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:40 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktut View Post
Drove by Falls Village shopping center on Falls of the Neuse tonight and noticed a Smashburger sign on one of the buildings.....not open yet.
Wow, another burger joint. Just what everyone needed.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Frozen stuff at TJs isn't all from other countries. Just the stuff you bought musta been. I've seen green peas from China in HT, too. TJs just repackages other brands. We used to buy the Amy's frozen organic pizzas there until my kids decided they didn't like frozen pizza anymore.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:58 AM

181 posts, read 387,315 times
Smashburger will open Dec. 17th.

Triangle Restaurant News: Smashburger sets opening date in Raleigh :: Out and About at WRAL.com

Old 12-05-2014, 01:47 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
I've been to the smashburger on Erwin Rd in Durham many times. Food is pretty good, but don't plan on eating a life-changing burger there. I actually think their fried chicken sandwiches are better than the burgers. If it's convenient for you to go and you're in the mood for a burger or chicken sandwich, then it's a good bet, but it's certainly not worthy of any cult-like following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary