Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,568,953 times

Advertisements

I'll probably always rescue/adopt but I took a look at the breeder's FB page and they do extensive health testing on their dogs - they are not backyard breeders by any means. I have no problem with responsible, ethical breeders. It would be great if everyone adopted from shelters, but that's not realistic so I'll save my venom for the puppy mills or the people (like my neighbor) who breed their dogs just because it'll be cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 08:17 AM

19,397 posts, read 27,699,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'll probably always rescue/adopt but I took a look at the breeder's FB page and they do extensive health testing on their dogs - they are not backyard breeders by any means. I have no problem with responsible, ethical breeders. It would be great if everyone adopted from shelters, but that's not realistic so I'll save my venom for the puppy mills or the people (like my neighbor) who breed their dogs just because it'll be cute.
Well said, NorasMom.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:54 PM

426 posts, read 1,488,404 times
I find it sad and cruel. No dog should have 27 puppies in 10 months!

I am a dog rescue volunteer and foster. I've visited a high kill shelter to rescue dogs at the last hour. I just looked through an online album of the beautiful dogs and puppies on this weeks euth list. Our rescue is overflowing, we cant help any this week, its sad and depressing.

Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 AM

135 posts, read 162,342 times
There are several pet adoption agencies in Northern VA that rescue dogs from shelters across many different states including NC. We were told that our most recent rescue was brought up from a shelter in NC. I guess there aren't enough dogs to be adopted in the area or maybe not enough people adopting in some of the areas they gather dogs. Either way, I'm glad we got our little girl, but...

When we began looking for another dog, we did lots of looking, learning and research. We looked at and considered various breeds and asked questions about those breeds. We ruled some breeds out that we didn't feel were a good match for us and there were, of course, some we didn't consider because we knew they were not what we wanted. We also looked at rescues. First, I will say that our family has always had one or two dogs. We have non-working family who is generally home during the day, a fenced yard and the dog(s) get regular walks.

We found a rescue we were interested in and that experience almost caused us to go back to looking at pure breds. It was NOT the dog. It was the process this company put us through and their unwillingness to work with us. The dog we were looking at had not been brought to our area yet and they told us that if we wanted the dog, we would need to meet the van that was bringing the dog on a particular day at a particular time. We had planned on being out of town that weekend, but changed our schedule to meet their requirements when they said the delivery could only be done that particular Sunday. We rescheduled our trip for the following weekend. We completed a long application and made sure to have all of us at the house so they could come meet us and "check" the house to make sure they felt we would make a good home for the dog. They also called our vet and told us on Thursday (before Sunday pick up) that we were approved to get the dog. They called us Friday evening and told us that the dog had kennel cough and would not be delivered as scheduled.

While all of that is understandable, they told that we would have to pick up the following weekend. We were unable to reschedule our travel again (dog was going with us) and we tried many other ways to get the dog (including us driving about 10 hours round trip to meet someone and get the dog). Again, if we couldn't meet their schedule, we could not have the dog. Reluctantly, we decided that we could not have the dog. Luckily I think we ended up with a better dog for us, (after going through the whole process again). They were fairly unyielding as well with their process, but were were able to work things out mostly because they felt we would provide an excellent home and a volunteer went to bat for us.

I am bringing this up mainly to point out what I saw / felt within this multi-week process. I had a conversation with a very reputable breeder regarding a breed that we were considering. During that time the breeder asked as many questions of me as I asked of them. We eventually decided against purchasing to go the rescue route, but the questions the breeder asked and the information I supplied in an initial e-mail exchange satisfied them that we would be an excellent home for one of their dogs. It was more effort and paperwork and problems dealing with trying to adopt a dog that otherwise would have been put down than it was to purchase a pure bred. Again, we have been quite happy with our choice, but I will definitely think twice about going through the adoption process again with one of these agencies...

Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
We found a rescue we were interested in and that experience almost caused us to go back to looking at pure breds. It was NOT the dog. It was the process this company put us through and their unwillingness to work with us.

They were fairly unyielding as well with their process, but were were able to work things out mostly because they felt we would provide an excellent home and a volunteer went to bat for us.
I've talked to married couples that mentioned that it was easier and less invasive going through Pre Cana than adopting a dog from a breed specific rescue organization.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:07 PM

135 posts, read 162,342 times
These were not breed specific organizations - these were generic rescue organizations where the dogs could be of any breed although I only saw mixed breeds and where the dogs would have been put down had they not been brought to adoptions by the agencies.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:29 PM

2,001 posts, read 3,572,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
A comment on WRAL notes that the "silver" version is not a recognized AKC breed. If so, why are they any more desirable than a shelter dog?
It's a rare combo. My inlaws paid 1000 bux and a plane ticket to have a pup like that flown in from the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary