Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times

Advertisements

Seen in today's News & Observer ...
Non Sequitur Comic Strip on GoComics.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
The roundabout in Plantation Shopping Center on the corner of Capital and Old Wake Forest is the most dangerous one I've ever seen, and it's in a parking lot! I've nearly been t-boned numerous times there. Hardly anyone yields for that one!

Old 10-09-2014, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 984 times
Default Guide to Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post

Town of Cary really should do a bit of advertising on proper usage of roundabouts. That would probably help matters. I'm sure none of us really wants to bring the inner New Yorker out of the locals to fix the issue. Lol!
FYI, we do have a page on the Town's website about our Roundabouts. Open to any suggestions to make it more helpful for folks.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm heading over to Chatham Street shortly. Think I will go all Tokyo Drift doing laps on the circles and paralyze DT Cary!

Scandanavian flicks work well for a quick exit in tight roundabouts.

Part of the problem with the local ones is how small they are. The one near Brier Creek is not only tight, it also has a centerpiece blocking your forward view.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:13 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownofCary View Post
FYI, we do have a page on the Town's website about our Roundabouts. Open to any suggestions to make it more helpful for folks.
I...wha...uh..?? It's like a celebrity just showed up.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I...wha...uh..?? It's like a celebrity just showed up.
My thoughts exactly! They never seem to show up when everyone is bashing them, though. :-)

As for helpful information, it seems to me that the primary issue is that people think you can't enter a roundabout until it is empty. So, for example, the one I use most often in Chatham St. When entering heading west on chatham there is usually a car entering from Chatham St heading east. Because they will exit the roundabout before my entrance point there is no need to wait until they have exited the circle before entering. People don't seem to know this and so education might help.

And the link to the ToC isn't very clear. It just says to yield to cars already in the roundabout, but it doesn't clarify that you can still enter the roundabout if there are cars already in it. Once making this clarification, disseminating the information at the local libraries, community centers, etc. would probably be helpful in retraining people. It could also be included in community activity brochures.

Does anyone else have input on this?

Old 10-09-2014, 05:48 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
I think what ToC provided regarding roundabouts is perfectly clear. IF PEOPLE USED TURN SIGNALS WHEN EXITING, things would be a lot smoother and a lot less people would be stopping instead of yielding. I've yet to see anyone but myself signal. The yield sign at the circle should make it clear that you can merge. ToC let people know of the changes coming when the roundabouts were planned so that people could prepare. NCDOT is responsible for the training and their handbook covers it.

Last edited by C_Lan; 10-09-2014 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 06:12 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
I think the reason people don't use turn signals, particularly on Chatham, is because if you don't intend to get off Chatham St it doesn't make sense to signal. Especially if you haven't used a roundabout before. Just think, you've been driving this route along chatham for 20 years. Now, in order to drive west on chatham, you have to curve around some pretty island that was added after they put in the brick sidewalks. If you're not turning or leaving the road you intended to stay on, it is counter-intuitive to use a turn signal, unless you've been told that is how it works. I would not be surprised if many people think the change was a cosmetic one and don't realize there are new driving laws in place.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:03 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I have to chuckle a bit, I was just in Beaver Creek at the round about the person inched into the circle and then stopped and tried to wave folks into the circle. It was quite confusing for them I am sure, but many horns where honked to urge them on, they clearly had NO idea how a traffic circle works.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
The roundabout in Plantation Shopping Center on the corner of Capital and Old Wake Forest is the most dangerous one I've ever seen, and it's in a parking lot! I've nearly been t-boned numerous times there. Hardly anyone yields for that one!
People here do not know how to use a traffic circle and fail to yield many times at that strip mall. we live right behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary