Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

I'd put Morrisville at the very top of being the least southern. Heck, it's probably more than just "not Southern", it can also be described as most international.

As DT Raleigh explodes with new residential development, it will be interesting to see how it will culturally morph with all the new residents.

I agree with others that (essentially) the further east and southeast of Raleigh one goes, the more culturally Southern it becomes. This would include the swath from Knightdale to Garner and outward. This will probably change over time as places like Clayton continue on the path of "Cary-ization" and closer-in locations like Garner transition home ownership as a result of generational replacement. As it stands, Garner has an older population than adjacent Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 10:15 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Specifically focusing on Wake County, anyone else agree that northern Wake County around Falls Lake still feels quite southern? I don't think this area is "Cary-ized" but I could be wrong, this is an area full of HUGE houses and wealthy neighborhoods that are a bit more remote and distant from the bustle of the Triangle. I'm talking about the areas north of 540, east of highway 70 in Durham, and west of highway 1 cutting through Wake Forest. Creedmoor Road, or highway 50, cuts right through this area. Norwood Road, Six Forks Road north of 540, Ghoston Road, Stony Hill Road, Possum Track Road, Carpenter Pond Road, etc. To me, this area feels like suburban meeting rural. Suburban neighborhoods nestled among pine forested areas, quite peaceful and slower paced IMO. I still receive a "country vibe" when I drive around these parts, like highway 98 between Durham and Wake Forest. You'll find newer subdivisions right next to houses/farms more than 100 years old. North of Falls Lake is still very southern, no doubt about it. As soon as you cross the line into Granville County, you're definitely out in the country. Creedmoor is a town that still retains old time NC country charm. What do y'all think regarding northern Wake? Am I crazy?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
I'd love to hear more about how people are defining Southern, particularly natives versus transplants. But that might just be asking for trouble.
Southern: Stop at roundabouts
Transplants: Yield at roundabouts

Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Specifically focusing on Wake County, anyone else agree that northern Wake County around Falls Lake still feels quite southern? I don't think this area is "Cary-ized" but I could be wrong, this is an area full of HUGE houses and wealthy neighborhoods that are a bit more remote and distant from the bustle of the Triangle. I'm talking about the areas north of 540, east of highway 70 in Durham, and west of highway 1 cutting through Wake Forest. Creedmoor Road, or highway 50, cuts right through this area. Norwood Road, Six Forks Road north of 540, Ghoston Road, Stony Hill Road, Possum Track Road, Carpenter Pond Road, etc. To me, this area feels like suburban meeting rural. Suburban neighborhoods nestled among pine forested areas, quite peaceful and slower paced IMO. I still receive a "country vibe" when I drive around these parts, like highway 98 between Durham and Wake Forest. You'll find newer subdivisions right next to houses/farms more than 100 years old. North of Falls Lake is still very southern, no doubt about it. As soon as you cross the line into Granville County, you're definitely out in the country. Creedmoor is a town that still retains old time NC country charm. What do y'all think regarding northern Wake? Am I crazy?
There are some older, more traditional homes in this area, especially if you move North of Hwy 98. But I don't consider the newer neighborhoods with the large homes and lots to be particularly "southern". It is more of a suburban feel than anything else.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Southern: Stop at roundabouts
Transplants: Yield at roundabouts

What about those who cut people off at roundabouts?

I will say that people who come to a dead stop at roundabouts, when there is absolutely no need to do so, drive me crazy!!!

I sometimes wonder about peoples' spatial relationship perceptions in an environment with moving objects.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:59 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I sometimes wonder about peoples' spatial relationship perceptions in an environment with moving objects.
People who have vision in only one eye qualify for a driver license. Lacking binocular vision, they have inferior depth perception. This calls for an extra measure of caution and perhaps -- in your judgement -- needless delay.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
There are some older, more traditional homes in this area, especially if you move North of Hwy 98. But I don't consider the newer neighborhoods with the large homes and lots to be particularly "southern". It is more of a suburban feel than anything else.
Yeah, it could be the traditional homes for me. These homes are quite rare if you get closer to the suburbs around RTP. Also, these northern Wake areas are a lot more forested than other suburbs around the Triangle. In my book, this gives it more of a country, remote vibe. The longleaf pines especially, very NC! Who knows, that's probably just me. You're right that it gets more southern and remote north of Hwy 98. Even though it's relatively close to Durham and RTP, the town of Creedmoor doesn't seem to be "Cary-ized" at all.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:11 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
What about those who cut people off at roundabouts?

I will say that people who come to a dead stop at roundabouts, when there is absolutely no need to do so, drive me crazy!!!

Drives me up the wall too. The roundabout right at the Durham/Chapel Hill border seems to have stop signs that I cannot see; I can only see yield signs.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:49 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Yeah, it could be the traditional homes for me. These homes are quite rare if you get closer to the suburbs around RTP. Also, these northern Wake areas are a lot more forested than other suburbs around the Triangle. In my book, this gives it more of a country, remote vibe. The longleaf pines especially, very NC! Who knows, that's probably just me. You're right that it gets more southern and remote north of Hwy 98. Even though it's relatively close to Durham and RTP, the town of Creedmoor doesn't seem to be "Cary-ized" at all.
We took a ride up there on Sunday. Definitely felt country to me.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
We took a ride up there on Sunday. Definitely felt country to me.
To Creedmoor? Yeah, still a typical, Upper NC Piedmont small town. Pretty far from becoming another Cary or Apex, if ever. Same story with Oxford, just as country but further from RTP and closer to the Virginia border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary