Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 05:32 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,658 times

Advertisements

This is probably an unnecessary comment, but there will never ever be a franchise business that produces burgers or anything else better than the old mom-and-pop joints up in the Rust Belt.

That being the case, why even discuss it? I guess it makes sense in a comparative way. Profit-based franchise unit A versus Profit-based franchise unit B versus Profit-based franchise unit C versus...

It would be helpful if someone could identify the best of that sorry bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
This is ... an unnecessary comment....
Edited for brevity and clarity.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
This is probably an unnecessary comment, but there will never ever be a franchise business that produces burgers or anything else better than the old mom-and-pop joints up in the Rust Belt.
Right. Because such places only exist in the rust belt. Sort of like Empress Tuna I guess.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Quote:

That being the case, why even discuss it? I guess it makes sense in a comparative way. Profit-based franchise unit A versus Profit-based franchise unit B versus Profit-based franchise unit C versus...

It would be helpful if someone could identify the best of that sorry bunch.
Last I checked, those Mom and Pop shops operate to make a profit. Maybe they operate as charities in the Midwest.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:40 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastEnvy View Post
A Freddy's just opened in Durham near I-40 and 15-501 (next to PDQ and Chipotle). Haven't been there yet.
I tried it a few weeks ago. I could take it or leave it. The burgers are very, very thin as are the fries. It looked like they had a really good selection of icecream sundaes so I'm willing to give it another shot; but so far not impressed. Same with it's next-door neighbor PDQ's

Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
When Freddy's hangs around as long as Char-Grill burgers and shakes come back and we'll talk

Old 10-12-2014, 03:17 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Right. Because such places only exist in the rust belt. Sort of like Empress Tuna I guess.
Actually, I did find a good tuna.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
There was a post about Freddy's on the Publix thread. I'll repost my comment:

Freddy's opened in Durham about a month ago off 15/501 by Patterson Way. They serve Vienna Beef brand hot dogs from Chicago, have burgers like Steak n Shake, pencil thin fries, custard and various other menu items. We've been about 3 times and always a good experience with food & employees, but the place is always packed!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,979 times
Freddy's is basically a copy of Steak & Shake. The patties are super thin. Both places serve thin shoestring fries. Freddy's is a notch above S&S.

For a Midwest burger chain, I really like Culvers. It's similar to Five Guys, although the fries aren't as good. It's cheaper too.

I am not sure why people always rave about Char Grill. I always found their burgers to be overcooked and dry. I'm assuming they use an excellent, low fat meat, thus making it dry. I much prefer Cook Out.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:48 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandycouch View Post
I also just learned there will be a T.MAC restaurant ("Genuine Food & Craft Beer") over where Publix will be. Which is kind of crazy seeing as how they JUST opened one at Waverly place a few days ago.
T.MAC has canceled its plans to open a location at Bradford.

T.MAC restaurant adjusts expansion plans, pulls out of Bradford in Cary - Triangle Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary