Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:42 PM

17 posts, read 28,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I actually don't want it to be guided. I can't imagine my 5 yr old standing still for any length of time over 20 seconds.
I went there last year and the only option was guided tours. The web site shows they are sold out for all tours on Saturday and Sunday. You have to buy tickets in advance, there is no "at the door" tour tickets sold. So please don't drive 2 hours until you call to see if they have any last minute openings.

Conservators' Center Conservators Center - The Conservators Center is a haven for over 90 exotic animals such as lions, tigers, and wolves with a focus on education, conservation, and rescue. is a similar wildlife education center with tour openings this weekend. All of their tours are guided as well, there is no free roaming like the NC Zoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 06:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuwhiz View Post
I went there last year and the only option was guided tours. The web site shows they are sold out for all tours on Saturday and Sunday. You have to buy tickets in advance, there is no "at the door" tour tickets sold. So please don't drive 2 hours until you call to see if they have any last minute openings.

Conservators' Center Conservators Center - The Conservators Center is a haven for over 90 exotic animals such as lions, tigers, and wolves with a focus on education, conservation, and rescue. is a similar wildlife education center with tour openings this weekend. All of their tours are guided as well, there is no free roaming like the NC Zoo.
Oh wow. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me. I was 30 minutes from leaving the house to drive there. I just got on the computer to get directions. I'll check their website.

EDIT: Oh. . . . I now see that you were referring to the wildlife education center. I thought you were responding to my post about going to the USS North Carolina battleship

Old 10-11-2014, 06:33 AM

So. . . . . .final decision

lunch somewhere with a ocean view
USS North Carolina
if time left over, beach or Serpentarium (we've done the aquarium many times)
Back home in time to let the dog out

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:02 AM

116 posts, read 172,891 times
Sounds fun! Enjoy!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
So. . . . . .final decision

lunch somewhere with a ocean view
USS North Carolina
if time left over, beach or Serpentarium (we've done the aquarium many times)
Back home in time to let the dog out

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!
The trip went well, other than a rocky start. If anyone has any tips for keeping 2 boys from killing each other in the back seat during car drives, please share

We drove down to Front Street, parked, and found the nearest place for lunch. Both kids picked at their lunches and barely ate anything. There was a waste of $15.

But things improved greatly after that.

We explored that battleship for over 2 hours. We started out on the top decks as my 9 yr old wanted to get as high as possible. The 5 yr old stopped at ever single gun to pretend that he was shooting down enemy aircraft. After nearly an hour of exploring above deck, we went below. This is where the real interesting stuff is. We spent over an hour down below deck and probably could have gone longer, but the 5 yr old was starting to get tired.

We then went to the Serpentarium. This actually cost us more than the battleship and we were done within 30 minutes. Lots of HUGE constrictors and dozens of vipers. It was nice that they also had some lizards and alligators/crocs. I enjoyed it, but my kids seemed a little apprehensive, especially when viewing the salt water croc that was bigger than they were.

Thankfully, the 5yr old slept the entire way home and there was no back-seat drama like the trip down.

Oh, and for those who are concerned about the drive, the speed limit on I-40 all the way down is 70 mph, but the prevailing speed was closer to 85 mph.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
NewUser,

Sounds like a good time and I'm sure you found a nice place to eat with a great view of the River Downtown. Just your latest update. If you ever go back and are looking for an affordable place to eat with a great view of the ocean in Wrightsville I recommend the Oceanic. They have outdoor seating on a pier and tons of seating on 2nd floor with tons of windows and great views of the beach from almost all the tables. Tons of Free parking in large parking lot. $9.99 fish n chips lunch basket.

home - Oceanic

Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 PM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Is Columbus Day even an event in the Triangle? The schools are open on Monday as is my office so not sure who's celebrating 'round here.
No it isn't. Columbus Day is a joke & should have never been celebrated in the first place.

Columbus never discovered "America", nor was he this great person that we have been learning about in our schools for centuries.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentP View Post
If two hours isn't too far for you, maybe do the battleship tour in Wilmington? It's awesome! Or Carolina Tiger Rescue - Home Page in Pittsboro seems neat.
I second Carolina Tiger Rescue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary