Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:09 PM

44 posts, read 49,100 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the Raleigh area in the Spring. In our current home, we had a tub/shower combo, which we pulled out and replaced it with a ceramic tile floor and put ceramic on the wall so still the same length as before only now shower only. It seems like most of the homes we are seeing definitely have that garden tub, and a very tiny stand up shower, where it would be difficult to shave or difficult to share shower time, since it's the length of one person!
So what is the big draw of this garden tub thing and then having a teeny shower?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:17 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnapittsburgh View Post
We are looking to relocate to the Raleigh area in the Spring. In our current home, we had a tub/shower combo, which we pulled out and replaced it with a ceramic tile floor and put ceramic on the wall so still the same length as before only now shower only. It seems like most of the homes we are seeing definitely have that garden tub, and a very tiny stand up shower, where it would be difficult to shave or difficult to share shower time, since it's the length of one person!
So what is the big draw of this garden tub thing and then having a teeny shower?
Thanks.
I think it is that "spa" bath concept but I am with you and do not like my tiny shower and consider the garden tub a big waste of space. However, I tend to believe that getting rid of that tub would cost me when I go to sell. Although, it is not even an option based on the layout of our bathroom.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
What do you consider tiny? We've always had a large jetted tub plus a shower in our past several houses and I've never thought of the showers as small - large enough to hold a couple ( or more) or to bathe a large dog while also standing in the shower.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
What do you consider tiny? We've always had a large jetted tub plus a shower in our past several houses and I've never thought of the showers as small - large enough to hold a couple ( or more) or to bathe a large dog while also standing in the shower.
It would not be possible to bathe a large dog in my shower.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
what you're probably seeing was spec construction, and large national/regional spec. Those homes will almost all have the garden tub and smallish square separate stall shower. Because whether folks use a tub or not, they think they're supposed to have one.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:48 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
When we designed our house, we chose not to put a tub at all in the master bath. We have a 6' x 8' walk-in shower, with a window at the top so we can see the trees outside (we live in the woods), and no door. I've loved it since day 1.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:50 PM

Our current shower is 5 feet long and tub width so a rectangle so 2 people could fit in shower. But I'm looking at my realtor's search for us for single family homes and they all have stand up coffin showers. We have a clear shower door.
I'd rather have the old fashioned tub/shower combo so we still have the typical length. And then if we want to rip out the tub later, we can.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Yes, that's a perfect shower, Claire !

Old 10-09-2014, 09:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Same here. We could bathe a Great Dane in there. With us both in there with him. Jetted tub also.

I don't see the practicality in a tub and separate shower if the shower can't hold at least 2 people.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:32 AM

OP, it will probably depend on your price range. In some ranges the shower that Bo describes is very common but you will occasionally find a few homes where the owners renovated the shower and expanded the footprint. You can also purchase with the intention of expanding the shower, keep that in mind budget wise while you search if you are only seeing homes with small showers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary