U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 PM

5,718 posts, read 3,012,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
My mother used to see the "Klan country" billboards in Johnston County in the 60's & 70's. My family never travelled through there at night. My grandmother received a call one evening. The man said, "There is gonna be 3 white sheets coming to your property. My grandmother responded, "I'm gonna send 3 bloody sheets back to you!!" and hung up! LOL It definitely existed in NC back in the day.
Your grandmother sounds extraordinarily cool.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:17 PM

938 posts, read 1,555,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
My mother used to see the "Klan country" billboards in Johnston County in the 60's & 70's. My family never travelled through there at night. My grandmother received a call one evening. The man said, "There is gonna be 3 white sheets coming to your property. My grandmother responded, "I'm gonna send 3 bloody sheets back to you!!" and hung up! LOL It definitely existed in NC back in the day.
I've heard about these billboards. My dad described the one in Smithfield - he said it was a klansman on the back of a white horse; the horse was raring up on his hind legs. I was told black folks NEVER went through Johnston County at night. He said it said something like, "Welcome to the Klan Capital of NC".

It's interesting, because I worked in that area briefly; I see a lot of interracial relationships there now.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:19 AM

7,474 posts, read 9,378,473 times
As has been seen 'overseas' there are groups whose goal is societal disruption at any cost. These particular signs are meant to inflame and divide the populace and are not likely to be an expression of personal opinion. They should be removed IMHO.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:38 AM

4,534 posts, read 7,623,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I've heard about these billboards. My dad described the one in Smithfield - he said it was a klansman on the back of a white horse; the horse was raring up on his hind legs. I was told black folks NEVER went through Johnston County at night. He said it said something like, "Welcome to the Klan Capital of NC".

It's interesting, because I worked in that area briefly; I see a lot of interracial relationships there now.
True, in that black ppl stayed away from that area, and especially at night. Clayton was also a bit dodgy in the early/mid 70's. Four Oaks and Dunn were known for that sort of stuff too.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,555,969 times
You still hear about Johnston County being a Klan hot spot back in the day from some of the older folks around the Triangle, Harnett as well. That Klan billboard was along I-95 outside Smithfield for the longest time, I think it was up until the 80's but I wouldn't know because I wasn't alive. However, my Dad is a Raleigh native and he remembers seeing Klan billboards in the 70's when he was a kid. One fact that most don't know, apparently NC had more Klan activity during the Civil Rights Movement than the rest of the south combined. However, I'm pretty sure that was the case because we were one of the more progressive southern states. Terry Sanford was governor in the early 60's, quite far from a Dixiecrat. No offense to some, but we didn't want to be an Alabama or Mississippi. However, Klan rallies in the 60's weren't uncommon across the state. There is a CBS news report/documentary that you can watch off Youtube from 1965 that focuses on Klan activity at the time. Most of the footage is actually from NC. They filmed a huge rally in Dunn, and interviewed some Klan leaders in Durham at what looks like a picnic table in a public park! Throwing in the Greensboro Massacre of 1979, NC has interesting history relating to the Klan. We went from "Klansville USA" to Obama winning this state in less than 50 years, quite impressive in my book.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM

2,796 posts, read 2,607,276 times
Everyone needs to remember to read between the lines. It's all about fear. I swear, the segment of the population that claims to be the toughest, men-mainly heterosexual men-, shows through their actions, i.e. always carrying weapons, incessant homophobia, intolerance, mean-spiritedness towards women in power (calling Gov. Purdue "Dumplin'") that they're the most afraid of all of us.

All of the skinheads, klansmen are simply demonstrating their fear, period. It's about nothing else.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 AM

2,180 posts, read 1,992,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That Klan billboard was along I-95 outside Smithfield for the longest time, I think it was up until the 80's but I wouldn't know because I wasn't alive.
Wasn't there one along 70, too?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,555,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Wasn't there one along 70, too?
Probably, I think there was a couple around Smithfield.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:11 PM

135 posts, read 137,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I've not seen the signs mentioned above, but I see enough of it around the triangle; with the anti-gay lobby, the "let me take my gun to a family event with 100,000 crowded people" lobby, the anti-poor lobby, and the in general "if you ain't like me, I'll exercise my right to keep you down" lobby. Blahhhhh
Not sure I understand and definitely do not want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying that it is right or wrong for people to speak up for their rights? It seems like you are saying both and I am guessing that was not your intent...

While I have opinions / personal beliefs on many things that may differ from others, a right is a right and whether I agree with an individual's choice, I respect their right to make that choice...

Old 10-21-2014, 02:54 PM

202 posts, read 311,723 times
Not sure secession is such a bad idea, considering the feds continued attempts to destroy traditional Southern culture in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or