Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:12 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,547 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the Sears spot could be opened up and the adjacent parking could be converted into an outdoor section for several new retail spots? They could pull Barnes&Noble back from across the street, get a theater... could be an opportunity to inject new lifeblood into the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 01:36 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,897,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
Agree.... likely Sears & Kmart will join others in the US retail hall of history:
  • Montgomery Ward (I always liked Monkey Ward better than Sears or Penny's)
  • Western Auto
  • Woolworths
  • Woolco
  • Grand Union
  • Hechingers
  • Circuit City
  • Linens and Things
....and probably many more that I am forgetting...?
Not including companies that were merged/bought-out/acquired....
Brendle's. Can't believe it was based in Elkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Maybe the can move that awful small Dave and Busters into that space. It's the only reason to go to Cary Towne at this point IMO. It's probably the worst mall in the Triangle. Maybe Northpgate. It's close though.
So much hate for the Cary mall in here. Wow.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:31 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
I suspect the Sears store at CTC will be retrofitted to perhaps a sports place, like D&B but perhaps for golfers, like the GlowGolf in some cities. Cary needs more place for craft beer junkies, too. Might be a good place to take kids when the movies are so lousy.

Senior Housing is being built in an out-parcel, and the closed H-T grocery store will be a fitness center.

It's got the best close-to-store parking access of any mall in the area.

Great re-purposing of a mall!
The current project under construction on the Aquatics Center side, is that senior housing?

I agree it has great parking access. Even over the holidays you can always find a spot. The only time I have ever seen the lot fill up is when it is used as a park-and-ride spot for Lazy Daze in downtown Cary.

My understanding is the plan is to transition the mall into a North Hills type shopping area and add stores, restaurants, and bars with more appeal to young professionals. Craft beer taverns would fit right in.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I am afraid Sears Holdings is past the point Sears and Kmart can coexist in the same entity. Kmart cannot compete well against Target and Walmart. Sears continues to thrive with assets in its Craftsman and Kenmore brands and departments uncommon to major department stores like automobile service centers, electronics, appliances, and lawn and outdoors. Is it time to divest Kmart and focus all energy into Sears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
Agree.... likely Sears & Kmart will join others in the US retail hall of history:
  • Montgomery Ward (I always liked Monkey Ward better than Sears or Penny's)
  • Western Auto
  • Woolworths
  • Woolco
  • Grand Union
  • Hechingers
  • Circuit City
  • Linens and Things
....and probably many more that I am forgetting...?
Not including companies that were merged/bought-out/acquired....
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Sky City, based out of Asheville, and Service Merchandise can be added to that list. I do not know what other companies could be in danger of going under.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 AM

8,035 posts, read 10,626,487 times
They have closed the two Sears stores in my area within the past year. They are closing stores everywhere, but slowly as not to get too much publicity about it.

I am a former long-term employee of Sears and watched it go steadily downhill until I, thankfully, was able to bail out a few years ago. The last few years I was there, the focus became all about cutting costs and gathering customers personal information (via credit card applications, etc.) and was no longer about truly serving customers, generating sales from merchandise, or capitalizing on the once strong Sears brand. They found a way to let go or chase away almost every loyal, quality employee they ever had (ala Circuit City's management did this also) and lost touch completely with what Sears used to mean to customers. We few full-timers hanging in there for dear life were made to feel like liabities: our 401K contributions frozen, benefits slashed, no raises for years, over-worked, all the while the CEO buying islands for himself and board memebers making multi-million dollars salaries, but sadly, no investment in the stores. Both Sears and K-mart have become run-down and depressing places to shop. Last time I went in a Sears, shopping for a lawn mower, the bored looking teen-aged part-timer working in Lawn and Garden told me she had no idea what kind of motors were in the lawnmowers, but she "thought" they might be Craftsman motors (no such thing, they are Briggs and Stratton). Pitiful.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:37 AM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Yeah, I have to admit, I tried to support Sears for a long time, but they finally threw me off. The people on the floor were great but the administration was firmly anti-customer.

What I don't get is Target. I go in there once in a while when I'm looking for something, and there is just nothing in that place that I would want. Not many people in there either. And it looks cheap and tacky. How the heck does Target stay in business?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
What I don't get is Target. I go in there once in a while when I'm looking for something, and there is just nothing in that place that I would want. Not many people in there either. And it looks cheap and tacky. How the heck does Target stay in business?
Sure you're not wandering into Kmart? Every single Target I go in to (no matter the time of day) is full of girls, women, and just generally young adults. They're basically upscale Walmart for what it's worth. That's how they are perceived and how they stay in business. Also pretty much every college has a Target / Walmart within a few miles.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
How the heck does Target stay in business?
Never been to the North Hills Target have you?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:50 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Probably by being the #4 US retailer, with $71,279,000,000 in sales in 2013 (https://nrf.com/2014/top100-table). Someone must be shopping there.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

So much hate for the Cary mall in here. Wow.
Hate? It's not a good mall. That it. With all the other choices around it just doesn't stack up. The reason it is struggling is because it's not able to compete with the other area malls. I hope the management make the improvements needed to compete. Maybe the could convert the Sears area to a movie theater like University is doing. That would help IMO. D&B's a movie theater and a few more good restaurants would help.

It can be revived. Great example Waverley Place in Cary. I went to TMAC last night great place. So many TV.s it college football heaven.. If anyone remembers what Waverley looked like years ago. Compared to now night and day. CTC needs that type of makeover to compete in the Triangle. CTC needs to step its game up that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary