Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:59 AM

580 posts, read 712,123 times

Advertisements

Text alert from WRAL-
Sears in Cary to close in January — The Sears store at Cary Town Center will close in mid-January, a company representative said Thursday. The store has 66 employees
Read more at Breaking News, Weather, Video, Traffic and Sports from WRAL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Not surprised, the whole mall needs to be scrapped!

Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Text alert from WRAL-
Sears in Cary to close in January — The Sears store at Cary Town Center will close in mid-January, a company representative said Thursday. The store has 66 employees
Read more at Breaking News, Weather, Video, Traffic and Sports from WRAL
That is unfortunate.
I grew up on Sears, when they were the beast of middle America retail. The decline is sad to watch.

And, we just ordered a full boat of appliances there. Glad we will have them shortly.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Hopefully this will help spur redevelopment of the mall as has been rumored.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:51 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,218 times
Now I'll have to find another place to park! We usually park there since it's easy to find a spot close to the mall. I don't spend much time in Sears. For some reason, that store is uncomfortably warm for me!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
I hope they can find a way to revamp that mall.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:30 PM

135 posts, read 162,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That is unfortunate.
I grew up on Sears, when they were the beast of middle America retail. The decline is sad to watch.

And, we just ordered a full boat of appliances there. Glad we will have them shortly.
We just ordered several appliances from Sears as well this past weekend! Both my wife and I have always gone to Sears and they seem to be the first (and frequently only) place we think of when it comes to appliances. Still need to schedule the delivery once we have closing date and our schedule nailed down for our soon to be house in NC. Virginia had a sales tax holiday on Energy Star rated appliances, so we saved a little money by buying ahead!

Old 10-16-2014, 01:48 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That is unfortunate.
Me too. I still have some of the tools I bought from that store when we moved to Cary in the early '80s (before Crossroads with Hechingers, HD and Lowes where there).

Unfortunately for Sears (and K-mart and probably JCP) things are probably too far along to save the company. Having been through lay-off land a couple times, I feel for the employees losing their jobs.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
There was a time when I loved Sears and shopped there regularly.
There was a time when I owned Sears stock and intended to hold it for life.
Things have changed ...

CEO Eddie Lampert is flying Sears Holdings (that's Sears and Kmart) right into the ground.
He has been repeatedly cited as among "the worst CEOs in America."
One example:
Oops! Five CEOs Who Should Have Already Been Fired (Cisco, GE, WalMart, Sears, Microsoft) - Forbes

Old 10-16-2014, 02:51 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Sears used to have dreadful customer service. They'd argue with you and claim it was your fault. I remember a TV show in which a woman in the audience was describing a dishwasher that left her dishes covered with baked-on food and the sales clerk kept insisting she didn't know how to load a dishwasher. Finally, the woman hired her own repair person to come out. Low and behold, something was hooked up backwards and it threw everything in the drain back on the dishes.

The show host finally got her to say the name of the store -- Sears. Seemed like everyone in the audience had a similar story to tell.

I don't know if their customer service has improved as I've not shopped there in years. We had several go rounds with a riding lawnmower and that was it for us.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 10-16-2014 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary