Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:56 AM

660 posts, read 1,006,594 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone!

I've posted on here before, so some of you are familiar with my story. In short, I'm moving to the Triangle in April, 2015. Just visited for a few days (I'm currently in Buffalo, NY after living for 13 years in Seattle, and tired of the long super-cold Winters here). I'm a professor working remotely for 2 universities (though will likely eventually look for work there after relocating).

Right now I'm planning on moving in April, and looking for temporary housing (for about a month or so) while I look around at long-term options; This seems to make the most sense. I got some idea of areas I like while visiting (West Durham, Watts-Hillandale, Carrboro) but think I need more time to explore, especially since I prefer to NOT live in an apartment complex (permanently) and might need to "hit the streets" to investigate other options.

Any short-term housing recommendations? My budget is between $700-800/month ideally.

I might even consider something like a 3-month lease, but would prefer to put that money towards a more permanent address.

Any advice or referrals are appreciated. I'm trying to plan!

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Any short-term housing recommendations? My budget is between $700-800/month ideally.
Can your employer(s) help you with expenses or housing? Otherwise, the short-stay hotels charge $1600-2400/month. You might look at the Duke Tower at $1500+ monthly rate. The only other possibility I can suggest is subletting an apartment from someone who wants to get out of a lease.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Default Options

I wish they could - it generally doesn't work that way goldenage1 - at least in academia.

A.) I'm not moving there to work for them (I work remotely and can do so from anywhere) and B.) when I accepted my former professorship I got $2000 TOTAL to move from Seattle to New York. LOL!

Budgets are TIGHT in higher education, unless you're a star bringing in grant money being courted by Duke.

I'm sure there are other options. When I moved here I rented a house short term for $600/month. :-)

If not, I'll make other plans. I know previous commenters mentioned the availability of short-term leases in the Triangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Can your employer(s) help you with expenses or housing? Otherwise, the short-stay hotels charge $1600-2400/month. You might look at the Duke Tower at $1500+ monthly rate. The only other possibility I can suggest is subletting an apartment from someone who wants to get out of a lease.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Good luck with finding something in that budget. I'd suggest putting a want ad on Craigslist and/or looking for students who want to get out of a lease.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:33 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
GoldenAge is spot on about corporate and furnished short term rentals.

There are apartment complexes that will do short term leases (read 3 months minimum). Those will be unfurnished. SOME might be in your price range, but the shorter the lease, the higher the rent.

I do not think you are going to find a short term rental for a home in that price range. I'm not so sure you could find a long term rental for a house in that price range.

Other suggestions: Craigslist, VRBO, airBnb. I'd also suggest you consider renting a room in somebody's house until you find a permanent rental.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:36 PM

579 posts, read 522,149 times
craigslist sublet. Perfect for you as most leases for grad students last longer than they stay in town for school. Pick up their last months rent and then move on to your new place.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
There are apartment complexes that will do short term leases (read 3 months minimum). Those will be unfurnished. SOME might be in your price range, but the shorter the lease, the higher the rent.
This place in Raleigh is not an ideal location for Durham or Chapel Hill work locations, but it will give you an idea what's available under a short term lease. Quoting their terms for a 1 bedroom available today:

4 months at $905/month
5 months at $905/month
6 months at $825/month
7 months at $805/month
8 months at $820/month
9 months at $815/month

Raleigh, NC Apartment Rentals | Trinity Park Apartments

Old 10-16-2014, 01:20 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Carrington at Brier Creek also does short term rentals, and I would guess the prices are somewhat less than Trinity Park (but not much).

Old 10-16-2014, 01:34 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
Check out this place. Not sure if there are unfurnished short term rentals or furnished only.

Forest Apartments: Home

Old 10-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Default No house! :-)

Note -- I don't want a house -- but a studio or 1BR apartment. I'm not crazy enough to think I could get a house rental for that budget. :-) Of course I didn't specify that in my original post.

Craigslist is basically ALL complexes (not preferred), but I have found some possibilities on VRBO and Air BNB.

I am just looking at my options and thought someone might have some further insight.

I found a furnished and brand new 1-BR near downtown Durham for $1000/mo, but didn't want to go that high (3/mo. minimum lease).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
GoldenAge is spot on about corporate and furnished short term rentals.

I do not think you are going to find a short term rental for a home in that price range. I'm not so sure you could find a long term rental for a house in that price range.

Other suggestions: Craigslist, VRBO, airBnb. I'd also suggest you consider renting a room in somebody's house until you find a permanent rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary