Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,774 times

Advertisements

Hi--We're an active and upbeat Chicago couple in our early 60s. We love getaways, hiking, museums, theater, restaurants and most of all, socializing with others. We're thinking of the Raleigh area because the weather is better (!) and the cost of living is great compared to what we're spending now. So my questions are these: are there a lot of relocating people our age in Raleigh? How's the culture scene (theater, lectures, symphony, etc.?) If you've been in a similar position, are you glad you made the choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:32 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times
I cant answer most of your questions but one thing you said caught my attention. We moved from Milwaukee WI so had a lot of the culture scene you are referring to. My kids and husband both complain this area is lacking in that respect when compared to Milwaukee & Chicago. And if you ever enjoyed the Shedd, the aquariums here are laughable. The Milwaukee Zoo's aquarium building has more to offer than the ocean-side aquariums here!
But the weather alone makes up for that for me, but the area does feel like something is "missing" when compared to livlier cities. There are plenty of walking trails and nice places, but the "culture" is not here. I do not plan on leaving, but if it werent for me, my family would be back in WI in a heartbeat.
The cost of living is a little better, but when you take into account EVERY area of where you spend your money, it's really not much cheaper-except the housing.

I'm not very outgoing and so we have yet to socialize with anyone. The only place I have been invited by people was to church, and that is not anywhere I need to be invited continually to attend!

I'm sure someone closer to your age group will come along with more info.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:52 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterweary View Post
So my questions are these: are there a lot of relocating people our age in Raleigh? How's the culture scene (theater, lectures, symphony, etc.?)
If I were in your position I would look more at Durham than Raleigh. I think there are more cultural opportunities per capita in Durham. For example: Osher Lifelong Learning Institute -- Duke Continuing Studies

Also the DPAC for theater: http://www.dpacnc.com/events

If I moved again, Durham would be high on my list.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:20 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
We're about your age (early 60's and still working), have lived here for 6-1/2 years and love it. No culture?? Bahhhh....

Lots of museums:
Raleigh Museums | Art, History, Natural Science
Arts in the Triangle

A variety of theaters:
Official Website Durham Performing Arts Center :: Home
Memorial Auditorium - Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts
Raleigh Little Theatre

There are tons of great restaurants and Durham is known as a real "foodie" town - even written up in NYT.
Durham Restaurants - Guide to Restaurants and Where to Eat in Durham - New York Times Travel

We originally moved to Cary where we spent our first 5 years,. We moved into an active Del Webb community on the Raleigh/Durham line last year and have never regretted it. It's a new community, first home closed in August 2013. Our amenity center is under construction and due to be completed by next summer. - 38,000 SF, indoor pool, outdoor pool,full gym, tennis courts, pickle ball courts, etc etc.
Active Adult Retirement Communities | Carolina Arbors by Del Webb | Durham, NC | Del Webb New Home Builders

Old 10-17-2014, 03:03 PM

387 posts, read 638,161 times
Since you specifically mentioned the symphony, let me chime in that the NC Symphony is an absolute delight, very high quality. Of course, you will have to decide if they compare with Chicago, but I think you'd be quite pleased with the NC Symphony. Maestro Grant Llewellyn is a treasure, conducting with amazing nuance and sensitivity. Also, the symphony performs in a wide variety of venues, allowing access to many who may otherwise not attend. When I was still living in Raleigh, they would open the season with a free concert at the downtown amphitheater, not sure if that's still happening. They do have a New Year's Eve performance, they have a few pub performances, chamber performances, and they have a Summerfest series in Cary in an outdoor amphitheater. They also play at the same amphitheater on Independence Day, followed by a professional fireworks display.

I moved away from Raleigh over a year ago; I still miss attending the symphony there.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
No, I'm sure the Triangle is not on a Chicago level, but what cities in the US are? NYC, LA, SF?

The universities bring in a lot of big names. We've had Yo-Yo Ma, Wynton and Branford Marsalis, the Bolshoi Ballet, Youssou N'Dour, Alvin Ailey, Kronos Quartet, etc. That's just in Chapel Hill at Memorial Hall (Carolina Performing Arts). Duke and NC State also bring in some big names. There's a Miró exhibit at the Nasher Museum at Duke right now.

For folks who say there's not much to do, they're either living in the boonies or they're not looking too hard. Are there 50 amazing things to choose from going on every night of the week? Well maybe not, but I can't do 50 things at once, anyway.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times
It's not that there isn't much to do or there is NO culture, but comparatively speaking when coming from the Chicago area, there is much less here-and I find some offerings to be on a smaller scale-especially the few museums I have been to so far.

Not trying to offend anyone. I did come here by choice.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:23 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
It's not that there isn't much to do or there is NO culture, but comparatively speaking when coming from the Chicago area, there is much less here-and I find some offerings to be on a smaller scale-especially the few museums I have been to so far.

Not trying to offend anyone. I did come here by choice.
Not to sound snarky by any means but this isn't Chicago. You really cannot compare theater/arts in the triangle to one of the countries major metropolitan areas. Apples to oranges. That being said, for it's size, this area has lots to offer + (as you mentioned earlier) the weather, greenways etc!

Population of Raleigh 431,000 (approx)
Population of Triangle about 2 million

Population of Chicago 2.7 million
Population of greater Chicago metro area 9.52 million

Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Not to sound snarky by any means but this isn't Chicago. You really cannot compare theater/arts in the triangle to one of the countries major metropolitan areas. Apples to oranges. That being said, for it's size, this area has lots to offer + (as you mentioned earlier) the weather, greenways etc!

Population of Raleigh 431,000 (approx)
Population of Triangle about 2 million

Population of Chicago 2.7 million
Population of greater Chicago metro area 9.52 million
Off topic, but also worth considering:

Raleigh homicides 2012: 17
Chicago homicides 2012: 500

Old 10-18-2014, 08:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I will say that the education level here is apparently significantly higher than Chicago. You can look it up here on city-data's pages or google. Lots of advanced degree holders and yes, there are lectures and talks, etc. Not really my scene, but I read about them. I think about 45% of adults in Chapel Hill hold at least one Masters or PhD or a professional degree. Raleigh and Durham both also have a higher percentage of college degree holders, bachelors, masters and PhDs than Chicago.

At the universities there are pretty much lectures open to the public every day of the week: Upcoming Events Lectures and Seminars Event Categories | UNC Events Calendar | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

For theater we've got the Broadway touring series at Durham Performing Arts Center — Phantom of the Opera right now, Playmakers Rep, ManBites Dog Theater, Burning Coal Theater, Raleigh Little Theater, shows at Duke Energy Center, and many more.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-18-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary