Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 AM

9,773 posts, read 15,773,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Richmond is similar to Raleigh in some ways. Both cities located on the Fall Line, both fit the New South description, and only two and a half hours apart (closer to Raleigh than NOVA). However, Richmond is definitely more historic and urban while Raleigh was a much smaller city until the RTP boom. Today, Raleigh and the Triangle are more suburban. However, if we're bringing the whole Triangle into the picture, both Durham and Richmond have the tobacco history. It's the suburbs of Richmond and Raleigh that feel very similar to me, the downtown areas of both are a bit different.
I agree that Richmond is a decent comparison. Again, two capital cities. Both start with "R" Both with similar weather and topography. Similar history as being part of southern states. I agree that the city of Richmond itself feels older and denser to me. While Raleigh feels newer and more spread out. I'm not as familiar with Richmond's suburbs but I think across America many newer suburbs look similar - similar housing, same box stores, strip malls, chain restaurants, etc. I imagine there are many similar builders between the two regions, making suburban architectural styles similar, too. As a whole, though, I think of Richmond as "older" and Raleigh as "newer" but it may just be because Raleigh is newer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,559,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I imagine there are many similar builders between the two regions, making suburban architectural styles similar, too. As a whole, though, I think of Richmond as "older" and Raleigh as "newer" but it may just be because Raleigh is newer to me.
Isn't that considered an oxymoron?
Perhaps not:
Taco Bell Mission
Best Buy Brutalist
International House of Pancakes errr... International?

I will buy old school McDonald's Googie

Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 AM

272 posts, read 380,247 times
Quote:
I don't think Raleigh has the "hip" reputation that Austin has. Austin seems more appealing to younger people, while Raleigh is more appealing to families.

Raleigh has some similarities to Columbus, OH. Both are mid-size cities. Both are capital cities. Both have a large university in its midst. Both are similarly diverse. College sports are very big in each. While the city of Columbus is bigger, the metro areas are similar size when you combine Raleigh and Durham's metro areas together. Columbus has the Columbus Clippers. Durham has the Durham Bulls.

Of course, there are a lot of differences between the two cities, too. Columbus is midwestern while Raleigh is Southern. Columbus seems older and denser to me with urban-like suburbs. Raleigh has much milder weather than Columbus.
You forgot.....
Raleigh has NHL Hockey Hurricanes
Columbus has NHL Hockey Blue Jackets

Columbus is capital of Ohio.. "Birthplace of Aviation" (Ohio has a strange anger of North Carolina's "First in Flight") But, umm, the first flight was in NC..that's a fact. So they settled for "Birthplace of aviation. Wright Brother's birthplace. I wouldn't say that Ohio is the "Birthplace of Aviation" I can agree that it is the "Birthplace of the Wright Brothers"

I must add, Raleigh is not only Southern, it is also "Eastern"

Old 10-20-2014, 10:09 AM

272 posts, read 380,247 times
In my opinion, Raleigh/Durham/Cary (Chapel Hill)similar to these other urban areas....due to multiple city regions....

San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington
Washington, D.C./Baltimore/Alexandria

and to an extent,

Minneapolis/Saint Paul
Tampa/Saint Petersburg

Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,487,480 times
Quote:
I agree that Richmond is a decent comparison. Again, two capital cities. Both start with "R" Both with similar weather and topography. Similar history as being part of southern states. I agree that the city of Richmond itself feels older and denser to me. While Raleigh feels newer and more spread out. I'm not as familiar with Richmond's suburbs but I think across America many newer suburbs look similar - similar housing, same box stores, strip malls, chain restaurants, etc. I imagine there are many similar builders between the two regions, making suburban architectural styles similar, too. As a whole, though, I think of Richmond as "older" and Raleigh as "newer" but it may just be because Raleigh is newer to me.
Even the older suburbs of Raleigh and Richmond feel quite similar to me. The suburban areas for both cities are very wooded, similar architecture, quite a bit of pine trees, etc. Definitely the newer suburbs, even though most would say newer suburbs are quite similar across the nation. However, Raleigh and Richmond are close, two and a half hours apart. It's not like we're comparing the suburbs of Boston to the suburbs of LA. But in general, you're pretty accurate that Raleigh is more new. A ton of the suburban neighborhoods outside the beltline aren't that old, and you really have the newer suburban sprawl for the Triangle as a whole. Cary is a perfect example. Richmond feels older and a lot more historic because it is. The Triangle was more remote until the RTP boom, so Raleigh wasn't a huge capital city. My Dad remembers RDU and the Angus Barn being way out in the boonies, different story today! We don't have anything along the lines of a Monument Avenue in Raleigh. Historically, Virginia was more wealthy than North Carolina. Many plantations (mainly tobacco) along the James River, estates in the countryside like Monticello, aristocratic families and historical figures like Robert E. Lee with those backgrounds, etc. North Carolina was a lot more poor and backwoods, less pretentious plantations/estates and more remote yeoman homesteads.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,226,481 times
Dallas/Forth worth in the shared area but two separate cities way of thinking. Also Minneapolis/St. Paul. And the airports being right in the middle of all of them.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,087 times
I'm curious how many of the folks who think Richmond is akin to the Triangle, have lived there?

I lived in Richmond in 1999 and found it to be far different in the ways I think matter: less truly diverse, not as progressive (on all dimensions), an economy heavy on financials and weak on tech/research. And frankly, places like Chester County just nauseated me; we don't have any suburban areas in the Triangle quite as backwards.

Interestingly, one of my colleagues at the time on our project lived in Cary, loved it there, and spoke about how she wouldn't relocate full-time to Richmond, she liked Cary too much!

Old 10-20-2014, 01:25 PM

9,773 posts, read 15,773,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I'm curious how many of the folks who think Richmond is akin to the Triangle, have lived there?

I lived in Richmond in 1999 and found it to be far different in the ways I think matter: less truly diverse, not as progressive (on all dimensions), an economy heavy on financials and weak on tech/research. And frankly, places like Chester County just nauseated me; we don't have any suburban areas in the Triangle quite as backwards.

Interestingly, one of my colleagues at the time on our project lived in Cary, loved it there, and spoke about how she wouldn't relocate full-time to Richmond, she liked Cary too much!

I've never lived in Richmond, although I have visited and driven through countless of times. It wasn't the first place that I thought of as being similar to Raleigh, although there are certainly some similarities and some differences just like all of the other places people mentioned have some similarities and some differences to Raleigh.

I think everyone interpreted the OP's question differently. Some looked at the geography, history, and topography of the cities. Others looked at the size of the cities, its relationship to nearby cities, and its position in the state as a capital. Still others looked at its industries, its diversity, and its politics. I'm not sure the last three are the ones that matter most, unless someone asks specifically about those measurements. But even taking those metrics into consideration, the ways in which Richmond are dissimilar to Raleigh are the same ways Raleigh is dissimilar to NoVa, for example. Raleigh is less progressive, less diverse, and has a different and less robust economy than NoVA. But people still see some similarities between the two.

I also think the answer depends on who is doing the asking. For example, we used to get questions on the NoVA board all the time about how the two sides of the Potomac are different - Maryland and NoVA. And the residents could give all the differences - political, industry, diversity, etc. But when it came down to it, if the person was moving from California, the two areas were going to seem pretty similar to them. I think the same can be said of Charlotte and Raleigh for example. There is a long thread going on in the NC board about the differences between the two cities. But when it comes down to it, for someone coming from somewhere like NYC, the two cities would seem pretty similar and the nuances between the two will be hardly noticeable to a newcomer when compared to how different both of them are to NYC. Having said that, I'm surprised no one mentioned Charlotte. That city is clearly pretty similar to Raleigh.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Charlotte is a little similar to Raleigh, but I feel like it's more culturally southern, probably since it's right on the SC border. However, I'd say it's more similar to Atlanta but I'm sure some might disagree. Both Atlanta and Charlotte are probably the two best examples of the New South. They're also not terribly far apart, and I think of Atlanta whenever I visit Charlotte and vice versa. Only big difference I see is the fact that Charlotte is more glitzy. I also think the Triangle is similar to the Atlanta metro, but less so than Charlotte.

Any thoughts on similarities between the Triangle and Triad?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM

It also seems like you could spot similarities between Raleigh and Atlanta, along with Raleigh and Columbia. I'm tempted to say Nashville or Birmingham, but probably not for the most part. The most similar IMO would have to be Richmond, Northern Virginia, Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Austin, Columbia, and Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary