Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 AM

39 posts, read 107,067 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I currently live in an apartment complex, and I hate apartment complexes. I have lived mostly in apartment complexes since the tender age of 18 , and I am now 27...that is a long time. I long for my own yard, my own driveway, etc. I would purchase a home, but I do not feel secure enough in my current position (Teach For America, two-year contract, not sure what I will do once I am done with the contract). Also, my husband is a student. As such, I prefer renting (for those wondering), as well as not worrying about maintenance on broken appliances, HVAC systems, etc. Cannot afford those big-budget items and/or repairs at the moment.

I have found a great rental property, in a great neighborhood, and I am currently awaiting approval on the application. It has a great backyard, and I already got the okay for the installation of a fence, including a temporary fence. I would go with the invisible fence route, but I am not okay with the shocks, and I would also like an enclosed space for my daughter & and her dog to go outside without me for 15-20 minutes to play.

I have found one decent option, but I still do not feel that it is large enough for those two to "play" in, it's 10x20. It is a chain link fence, and something that I can take with me when I move, because it isn't placed into the ground. Aside from an invisible fence and a small-ish 10x20 fence, are there any options for temporary fencing for renters like myself, who do not want to put that much $ into fencing, but really desires a fenced-in backyard, or at least a fenced area that my daughter and dog can enjoy? Trust me, I have been searching for rentals with fenced-in yards (and admittedly, I am so ready to move out of this place), and in the location I need to live, I have only found one or two, and they do not meet my overall needs (amount of bedrooms, bathrooms, or have a no pet policy, etc.).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:15 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhmanda View Post
... are there any options for temporary fencing ...
HDX 6 ft. Heavy Duty Steel Green Painted T-Post-901176HD at The Home Depot

HDX 4 ft. x 50 ft. 14-Gauge Galvanized Steel Welded Wire-308302HD at The Home Depot

Inexpensive, unadorned, easily installed, easily removed.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:32 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
yup. DIY.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:36 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
I would go with the invisible fence route, but I am not okay with the shocks, and I would also like an enclosed space for my daughter & and her dog to go outside without me for 15-20 minutes to play.
Two of the issues with invisible fence products are they don't keep other animals out, and if your dog gets excited and chases a squirrel through the fence, they won't want to come back into your yard.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 AM

39 posts, read 107,067 times
Thanks for the links! However, I have read through multiple posts regarding fencing and rentals. The problem is that if it is literally inserted into the owner's yard, the owner can claim it as his/her own. As such, I cannot remove the fencing. I would have to get it in writing that the posts and wire would come with me upon the end of my lease/moving out. However, if it is "movable" or "portable," then they cannot claim it as their own, much like they couldn't claim a couch inside the home is their property. Perhaps I am receiving wrong information, but the owner stated it was fine to place a fence, but that he would not install it (not that I expected or asked him to install a fence haha). Do you know anything about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Two of the issues with invisible fence products are they don't keep other animals out, and if your dog gets excited and chases a squirrel through the fence, they won't want to come back into your yard.
Thanks for this add'l info. I wouldn't do it anyway. One of the major reasons I am moving is a bit more outside freedom for my daughter and her dog. I have a huge deck (or, upon approval lol) that I would love to sit on and not worry every 2 secs that the dog is going to shoot out to the street (it's residential/subdivision, thankfully) and get hit or run away. I would hate it even more if she ran out (innocently) and didn't even want to come back in. That would totally defeat the purpose and sounds truly traumatizing.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:53 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
It so depends on the dog. If the dog is not too rambuctious or too much of a hunter you can use metal T-posts that you pound in the ground, then attach some kind of coated wire mesh (see big box HD, Lowes). Don't leave your dog out unattended for long periods (boredom) and this will work great. When you leave, role up the wire and pull up the T-posts.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:56 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
... I would have to get it in writing that the posts and wire would come with me upon the end of my lease/moving out. ...
You answered your own question. Get it in writing.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
I would have to get it in writing that the posts and wire would come with me upon the end of my lease/moving out. However, if it is "movable" or "portable," then they cannot claim it as their own, much like they couldn't claim a couch inside the home is their property.
If you want to go the "semi-permanent" route, these folks (Coalition to UnChain Dogs |) build them almost every weekend and have detailed instructions on how to do it. They recently changed their web site, but here is the link on the details - http://www.980dogs.com/How_to_Build_a_Fence.pdf. They do go back and remove the fence if the owner moves, dog leaves, etc., so it is removable (with some work).

Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
You answered your own question. Get it in writing.

Yes! My husband and I arranged to swap out the door we viewed as a major security risk for a more secure door with our landlord and got it put in writing. Landlord took possession of the existing door and we have a written copy of the contract.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
So, you leave it! The dog wire fence is pretty cheap. You can get a 50 ft roll of 3 foot fence for less than $30. You might not need many stakes. Depends on the dog, of course. I have had dogs that you could tie a string between two trees and they'd view that as a fence and not cross it and I've had dogs that would jump anything less than 6 feet and dig under, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: