Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:00 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Brass=tacky. We spent hundreds in our home to eradicate it.
LOL! I love the eradicate comment. We feel the same way. Hate brass. We eliminated all of it in our house too. Luckily the shower stall and faucets did not have it. Just doorknobs.

Just sticking with chrome, as it is always either in or acceptable, but never totally out. Plus as we age, we like clean and basic. It just feels "easier", which is key when one ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I heard it was but I refuse to give in - I like satin nickel and I'm sticking to it!

Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

We are updating a worn out kitchen, and walking the line between predicting future resale and enjoying for ourselves what we have installed. It's hard.
Yes. My countertop ordeal continues partially for this reason (also because I keep getting laminate quotes close to or over $2,000 with installation, etc....what?!).

Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
love my brushed nickel. won't ever change.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 AM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
I have a traditional looking house with a brick front and black shutters, so when it came time to eliminate the builder brass, I replaced with oil rubbed bronze door knobs and hinges. I think it fits in and looks nice without making a statement.

Faucets and shower hardware is chrome, which IMO fits in anywhere.

Previous poster is spot-on about trends: They always come back around, but in a slightly different way.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
If you are redoing a bath, use polished nickel or stainless. It is timeless. Oil rubbed bronze looks dirty and will be out of favor shortly.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
If you are redoing a bath, use polished nickel or stainless. It is timeless. Oil rubbed bronze looks dirty and will be out of favor shortly.
Disagree about the bronze. Friends in a high volume kitchen/bath fixture business in the northeast say brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze remain the 2 hottest sellers. While brass "is back in", nobody is getting on board.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
If you have real, solid brass fixtures in your home, that is a high-quality material and never really goes out of style. Do not remove them, especially to replace them with cheap brushed nickel or oil rubbed bronze finish stuff from Lowe's.

The cheap stamped steel with brass finish stuff will probably never come back. But that stuff is cheaply made and pretty cheap to buy too, so replacing it every 15 years or so as trends change isn't going to break the bank.

I personally rather like polished stainless.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We are SO being played by the manufacturers, HGTV, Houzz, and Pinterest crowd to feel compelled to keep up with the latest.
Continually pushing fixture changes to observe trendy style over quality. And the costs are enormous to maintain style.
Overtures of "Granite is passé" and "Stainless steel is passé" have bounced around for some time, with failure to provide accepted substitute trends.

Chrome is edging back into a lot of homes. Fixtures and lighting.
Oil rubbed bronze, the pet trend for several years is now dated. "Ewwww! Oil rubbed bronze. The whole house needs updating" is just around the corner.
When SS, granite, and scraped floors finally pass into the purgatory of popular disdain, the home improvement market will soar, and the unlucky owners will be stuck with a terrible bill.

We are updating a worn out kitchen, and walking the line between predicting future resale and enjoying for ourselves what we have installed. It's hard.
Ha, I guess I will have to throw away everything in our kitchen then . Stainless appliances, granite, oil rubbed faucet, (plus the lights in most of the house and all the doorknobs are ORB) Oh, and I forgot, its not scraped or anything, but we do have the terrible what if the dishwasher leaks OMG the floors will be ruined hardwoods through the entire downstairs. (like water leaking from the dishwasher can't get down and ruin the subfloor no matter what the finish is)

Old 10-22-2014, 09:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Brass fixtures (faucets, etc) have not been popular in new construction for a number of years. I heard recently that brass is starting to become popular again. I would appreciate comments from those in construction, real estate, building supply, etc. If you were thinking of selling a home and have brass fixtures in bathrooms should we consider replacing the brass?
It was ugly then, and it's ugly now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary