Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
They owe Mary a PUBLIC apology and a big pot of money. Seems she is th eonly one with integrity in this mess.
She has a nice book deal already, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
IDK- does she?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports has great article. "Why the UNC scandal isNCAA President Mark Emmert’s chance at redemption" .
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the...160034290.html[/SIZE]

"For 18 years and over 1,000 student-athletes, including huge swaths offootball and basketball players, UNC ran classes that were designed to requirelittle to no academic work. It included academic advisers essentially llingthe instructor the grade necessary to maintain eligibility. This was true evenin cases when everyone suspected/knew the student in question submitted falseor recycled papers for the minimal work required.
So they knew kids were cheating … in afake class, no less … and they just calculated the needed grade to keep playingand then gave it to them."

Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
IDK- does she?

Well, "nice" and "deal" may have been overstating it.
But it appears that "book" may be accurate.

UNC professors speak on Wainstein report expectations | The Herald-Sun

Old 10-23-2014, 01:54 PM

544 posts, read 852,331 times
I thought I heard she had or intended to file a whistler-blower lawsuit, but I can't find any references to that online.

Between the outside investigation, outside PR firms, etc. and potential legal liabilities, this is going to cost the university a bundle. This story is going to have a long shelf life.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:19 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,529 times
The most pitiful thing about this whole mess is that not one person above the scapegoat level has admitted to any wrong doing. UNC had the opportunity to really come clean about who knew what and when and add a little class to this whole mess, instead they continue to plead ignorance. It you are making millions (think head coaches) off 20 scholarship athletics and the only thing between you keeping them or loosing them are grades you better believe they know/knew exactly what was going on.

In the long run there has to be a better way to run D1 college athletics. Everyone must know that this is not an isolated incident. In one form or another it goes on in every SUCCESSFUL program. The true scholar athletic is becoming a rare thing indeed at the intense level of D1 football and basketball. Somehow someway there has to be an answer besides this current broken corrupt system.

As sad as the UNC scandal is it doesn't come close to the head in the sand attitude Florida St has taken with its star QB. Academic cover-up is one thing but criminal cover-up is a whole other thing. I have loved college sports all my life and have 3 grandchildren in 3 different ACC schools right now. That being said I have lost so much respect for the athletic programs at the schools in the past couple of years I hesitate to even look at a game.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
The most pitiful thing about this whole mess is that not one person above the scapegoat level has admitted to any wrong doing. UNC had the opportunity to really come clean about who knew what and when and add a little class to this whole mess, instead they continue to plead ignorance. It you are making millions (think head coaches) off 20 scholarship athletics and the only thing between you keeping them or loosing them are grades you better believe they know/knew exactly what was going on.

In the long run there has to be a better way to run D1 college athletics. Everyone must know that this is not an isolated incident. In one form or another it goes on in every SUCCESSFUL program. The true scholar athletic is becoming a rare thing indeed at the intense level of D1 football and basketball. Somehow someway there has to be an answer besides this current broken corrupt system.

As sad as the UNC scandal is it doesn't come close to the head in the sand attitude Florida St has taken with its star QB. Academic cover-up is one thing but criminal cover-up is a whole other thing. I have loved college sports all my life and have 3 grandchildren in 3 different ACC schools right now. That being said I have lost so much respect for the athletic programs at the schools in the past couple of years I hesitate to even look at a game.
How sadly true.

I taught some of these "scholar athletes" at a D-1 school; many of them are nothing more than hired thugs.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Did people really throw rocks at Willingham about her allegations? Did they seriously not know some of these kids could barely read or write much less master college level courses?

Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
I briefly knew a "star football player" at a D1 school for a semester or two. He was dating a girl in my dorm, that I was also friends with. He was the fastest guy on the team. And although he was a nice kid, he was illiterate. There was no way this kid took the SAT and made the required 700, on his own. I don't fault him. He took what was handed to him, but the school knows that these are athletes, and not scholars when they recruit and sign them. I saw athletes get new cars, skip out on classes, miss most of their classes, and still make As. How many college students can afford a brand new car? The answer is "few". But when a local dealership is also a major booster, and just happens to have a fleet of rentals or loaners, then suddenly several star players are driving brand new cars! And this was NOT at a major cash cow like Notre Dame, UNC, etc.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I'm pretty disgusted by the whole thing. What a disappointment and embarrassment.

Last edited by lamishra; 10-23-2014 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary