Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Okay, I saw something today that I don't believe I've ever seen around Raleigh and the Triangle. On the side of a Northwest Raleigh road, I saw a sign with "SECEDE" written with "Dixie net.com" underneath. This was one sign among many political signs that really stood out. I looked up the website, turns out it's a Southern nationalist organization called the League of the South. This group is listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, and apparently they've put up "SECEDE" billboards around Alabama where they're headquartered. Now I get it, North Carolina is a southern state and the Triangle is a southern metro. I'm a North Carolinian and I've lived here my whole life, but I think this is a first. However, I'm a college kid so I'm pretty young. I'm sure it was quite different back in the day. Any opinions? Should I be as shocked as I am?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:24 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
I've seen these. And I'm not sure this is the type of thing that is typically seen in the triangle. However, in today's tense climate, I'm not surprised at all.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Okay, I saw something today that I don't believe I've ever seen around Raleigh and the Triangle. On the side of a Northwest Raleigh road, I saw a sign with "SECEDE" written with "Dixie net.com" underneath. This was one sign among many political signs that really stood out. I looked up the website, turns out it's a Southern nationalist organization called the League of the South. This group is listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, and apparently they've put up "SECEDE" billboards around Alabama where they're headquartered. Now I get it, North Carolina is a southern state and the Triangle is a southern metro. I'm a North Carolinian and I've lived here my whole life, but I think this is a first. However, I'm a college kid so I'm pretty young. I'm sure it was quite different back in the day. Any opinions? Should I be as shocked as I am?
If you're college age, it means you were born around the early 90's, so it's not surprising that you haven't seen those. Myself and other posters discussed seeing Klan billboard signs around Raleigh and Eastern NC in the 70's. This was a backlash from the civil rights activities that were going on at the time and had waned by the early 80's or so.

Freedom of speech is there to protect all speech, especially offensive speech. I would much rather see that then have a government panel determine what may or may not be publicly stated. That is a slippery slope from which we would never return.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I've seen these. And I'm not sure this is the type of thing that is typically seen in the triangle. However, in today's tense climate, I'm not surprised at all.
I suggested this very thing in another thread; that this type of tension tends to increase during hard economic or social times. I was, as usual, harshly criticized by some over sensitive poster that said my assertion was "flaky" and baseless...

Old 10-15-2014, 04:57 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
What about the signs along Hammond Rd that refer to the 911 attacks as The Carpetbaggers hoax. Upon online digging I found a guy running for some political office who incorporates the theory into his platform. I suspect the signs are his campaign. He believes that an airplane couldn't bring down the towers. Drive by for a week wondering wth carpetbaggers hoax meant.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
If you're college age, it means you were born around the early 90's, so it's not surprising that you haven't seen those. Myself and other posters discussed seeing Klan billboard signs around Raleigh and Eastern NC in the 70's. This was a backlash from the civil rights activities that were going on at the time and had waned by the early 80's or so.

Freedom of speech is there to protect all speech, especially offensive speech. I would much rather see that then have a government panel determine what may or may not be publicly stated. That is a slippery slope from which we would never return.
^^This^^

Free Speech doesn't mean "free as long as its nice or productive." It means "Free as long as you don't yell fire in a theater."

Old 10-15-2014, 06:50 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post

While I 100% agree with you on this point (without if's and's or but's), I find it troubling that so many people use their constitutional rights to promote hate. This kind of speech is in fact protected, it's a shame that so many use it they way they do...

I've not seen the signs mentioned above, but I see enough of it around the triangle; with the anti-gay lobby, the "let me take my gun to a family event with 100,000 crowded people" lobby, the anti-poor lobby, and the in general "if you ain't like me, I'll exercise my right to keep you down" lobby. Blahhhhh

Old 10-15-2014, 06:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Haters be hatin', is all.

Considering my religious and political affiliations, I'm often in the sweet spot of somebodies vitriol and have been since coming of age many moons ago. I tend not to worry about signs I read along the road and just a little bit more of those I find online. It's when they can start affording television and radio time that I become concerned about the fringe groups.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
My mother used to see the "Klan country" billboards in Johnston County in the 60's & 70's. My family never travelled through there at night. My grandmother received a call one evening. The man said, "There is gonna be 3 white sheets coming to your property. My grandmother responded, "I'm gonna send 3 bloody sheets back to you!!" and hung up! LOL It definitely existed in NC back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary