U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:36 PM

42 posts, read 37,728 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend an area in suburban Raleigh- D-CH-C that might have either condo or town home rentals near open space where a dog could be run off lead ? I am not into dog parks as they are the # 1 place for dog injuries ! I am talking an area like a state park, state forest, etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 06:38 PM

16,174 posts, read 20,946,317 times
I thought keeping your dog on leash was a legal requirement in the Raleigh area (with the exceptions of your own property that is fenced in, a recognized dog park, a doggie day care that is fenced in, etc.)

Am I incorrect?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 23,055,482 times
No off leash areas in state parks or forests but that certainly doesn't stop people from doing it.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:24 PM

2,868 posts, read 6,675,715 times
Don't be that guy. Seriously. The laws are the way they are for a reason. Everyone thinks their dog is just wonderful....until there is an incident. No one walking their dog legally, or out hiking with their children, want to deal with your dog.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:01 PM

16,174 posts, read 20,946,317 times
Thank you, Dire Wolf. I'm a dog mommy, but I'd never let my dog off leash in a public area. Not safe for my dog (who is, of course, the sweetest and nicest dog in the world ). It's also flat out disrespectful to people who don't like dogs or are afraid of dogs. They have a right to enjoy hiking, too. More than an unleashed dog.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:51 AM

593 posts, read 1,136,853 times
I hike in Duke Forest (Koristan Division) all the time, and see plenty of off-leash dogs. Some do come right up to me without being encouraged, and their owners don't seem to have much ability to stop them. I'm fine with it though, because I like dogs a lot. However, I can certainly see how someone that is afraid of dogs, or just doesn't like them, would not be happy about this. I think someone that owns this type of dog, and lets them off-leash, is slightly rude, and it doesn't even seem like the right thing to do for the dog since they don't listen well enough and could potentially get hurt. What amazes me though are the people with dogs that walk within a short distance of their owner, heel on command, and don't leave their side as I walk by. That dog is as good as on a leash. I, or a child for that matter, would need to actively reach out towards him in order to make contact with that dog, and the same would be just as possible if the dog were on a two foot leash. All this being said, people still shouldn't break the law. If there is a law in place for leashes then you should follow it. Duke Forest is private property, but it seems likely that they have signs posted near the entrances that say to keep dogs on leashes --- I don't know though for sure as I don't usually enter at the entrances.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:55 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,487,517 times
Enter everyone getting on their soapbox about off leash dogs and who has rights over who and their bad experiences blah blah blah. Gotta love the internet, everyone has an answer for a question no one asked.

To answer your question OP instead of thumping my chest, your best bet may be a VRBO listing in the woods/hills somewhere where the person has acreage and you can roam around the property.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:51 AM

2,914 posts, read 3,457,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Enter everyone getting on their soapbox about off leash dogs and who has rights over who and their bad experiences blah blah blah. Gotta love the internet, everyone has an answer for a question no one asked.

To answer your question OP instead of thumping my chest, your best bet may be a VRBO listing in the woods/hills somewhere where the person has acreage and you can roam around the property.
It's pretty simple, the law is to keep your dog on a leash. You may not like it, but its the law.
My dog was attacked by an off leash dog in a public park. I picked him up and kicked the attacking dog in the head. The owner, who was jogging about 100 yards behind, came up and started yelling at me because I kicked her dog. In addition to a few choice words, I let her know that if it ever happened again, it wouldn't be just one kick.

Keep you dog on a leash.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:13 AM

6,287 posts, read 9,541,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
It's pretty simple, the law is to keep your dog on a leash. You may not like it, but its the law.
My dog was attacked by an off leash dog in a public park. I picked him up and kicked the attacking dog in the head. The owner, who was jogging about 100 yards behind, came up and started yelling at me because I kicked her dog. In addition to a few choice words, I let her know that if it ever happened again, it wouldn't be just one kick.

Keep you dog on a leash.
Right, exactly - my dog has been attacked by off leash dogs and we won't even hike in a very large state park anymore because of them (I won't name it, because I won't encourage the OP). But in this state park we were about a mile from the trailhead when we encountered a couple with two off leash dogs. They were able to get ahold of the aggressive one, but the older puppy made a beeline for my dog and jumped all over her - this didn't go over well, but no blood was drawn, fortunately. Had my dog been injured I never could have carried her for a mile.

Your best bet OP is private acreage somewhere in the country where there are a lot of off leash dogs. Please do NOT do it in parks. The leash law is in effect throughout the triangle.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:19 AM

4,022 posts, read 4,682,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
It depends on where the dog is.

For Wake County, it appears the only restrictions are on public parks, animals in heat and dogs deemed as potentially dangerous.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/North%20Carolina/wakecounty_nc/wakecountynorthcarolinacodeofordinances?f=template s$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:wakecounty_nc

91.07 (C) It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having possession, charge, custody or control of any dog to take the dog into or allow the dog to enter any public park without being at all times under the restraint of a leash unless the park is designated as a dog park.

91.07 (D) It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having possession, charge, custody or control charge, custody or control of a female dog or female cat to allow that animal to be at large during its estrus period. During this period, the owner or person having possession of the animal must restrain the animal in an enclosure in the manner that will prevent the animal from coming in contact with a male of its species. This section shall not be construed to prohibit the intentional breeding of animals on the premises of the owners or keepers of the animals involved.

Other parts of Wake County are under control of the respective towns.
Animal Control
"Wake County Animal Control responds to requests for service from citizens in the following locations:
  • Unincorporated Wake County
  • Apex
  • Morrisville
  • Fuquay-Varina
  • Knightdale
  • Wendell
  • Zebulon
  • Wake Forest
  • Rolesville"
I know Cary has a leash law for dogs (and cats).

For other parts of NC, GS 67 seems to apply, which looks to have similar rules as Wake County
North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes - Chapter 67: Dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or