Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:05 AM

258 posts, read 672,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Hey - I get that your goals are good. "Family always come first" is easy to say, sometimes tougher to back up. Kudos for that.
If you intend to get through the plans, permitting and inspection process then an architect will be worth their weight in gold. Or are you planning on bending those requirements too? I'd really get another layer of help/knowledge in this process. Logic doesn't always follow the "rules" - as you note around the septic rules. But, the rules, are the rules. Your logic will probably not prevail.
Your neighbor/friend the builder - certainly they've worked with a local architect or two?

Best wishes ..
Frank

I'll bend whatever I can...

Our builders in our network of help to get this done get plans from the large company they sub to as contractors....it's all new construction, every 5th house on the block same as the first.... They are handed the plans and they build it....no one knows a "local" guy that we can get plans from....they all come from corporate...cookie cutter homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 02:47 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
InclusionStudio | Design for All

Your architect should know an engineer who you, and they, can work with.
It is smart to want a plan that works aesthetically with your house, instead of looking like an unfortunate growth on it.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:15 PM

422 posts, read 461,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post

If I thought I could get away with it I'd build it without permits...don't care about re-sale....I put a barn in the backyard and didn't tell anybody....its still here. but something this large and this expensive I dunno they can come by with some kind of "court order" and say I have to tear it down...If I knew I could build it anyway and all it would affect is "re-sale" later then I would just do it... not selling this place ever
The AHJ in most jurisdictions would have the right to force you to demolish an unpermitted (and uninspected) addition or outbuilding. The much more likely course of action would be for them to make you pull the proper permits, and take construction back to the point where all concealed items (rough in) could be inspected. Ie, dig the foundation out to the point where all footers were visible, remove all drywall, cabinets to expose the wiring and plumbing etc.

Do you plan to insure this addition? The list of potential exposures from a pure liability stand-point from an unpermitted occupied space would be long.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:52 PM

169 posts, read 242,074 times
Now that we have finished an addition to a home we hope to stay in for good, I would definitely recommend a structural engineer. We used one for the job, and I am now so happy and feel confident that our work was done in sound fashion. I would make sure, however, that you know when/if they plan to charge when they come to your house. There was one visit that they suggested, so we assumed we would not be charged, but we were. They did not properly inform us of the cost. In the end they made it right, but we are very happy to have gone that route.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 PM
MOD

95 posts, read 151,687 times
Couple clarifications to things I've seen here:

You do not need "sealed" plans to pull permits unless it involves work outside the prescriptive scope of the NC residential code. You will need plans, but they don't have to be sealed by a licensed professional (architect). Unsealed plans will usually get a closer review during permitting and inspections, though.

Failing to pull proper permits is a class 1 misdemeanor in NC. Same level as assault and battery, but it's rarely pursued. The biggest issue, as others have said, is that unpermitted work is an easy out for your insurance company if something goes wrong at any point in the future. The fine print in most policies gives them a ridiculous amount of leeway to deny coverage.

I will PM you some Raleigh area architects who do good work.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:33 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
what do you expect your homeowner's insurance to cover vs exclude?

You should do the entire process "above board" and have the proper septic details discussed and approved. You may very well not have to change your field, but I personally am no septic expert to pass judgment for you.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:11 AM

258 posts, read 672,806 times
Well I have an appt to talk to Stu Daugherty from Carolina Custom builders tomorrow. A friend of ours recommended them. They just had a large two story garage added to their home. I also went by their headquarters and looked over the two buildings on the show lot. The one in back is perfect size, and they said they can make it larger if I need. They also said once we move forward they can have it up in about 3-4 weeks.

It looks like the best course of action is to have the addition put in in the form of a larger 3 car two story garage. I was quoted over the phone at around $40k for a complete building with an unfinished interior. This is good, as it will leave us with $60k left in the budget to trim out the interior after final inspection and everyone leaves.

It also seems that by adding a "convenience bathroom" in the new addition is not counted toward "impact" on my septic. Adding rooms labeled "Bedroom" does. very bizarre.

It's been a lot of work trying to figure out how to do this...being a bit naive we had assumed a "home addition" was the way to go. We never really considered a garage builder, but it seems is the best way to go. They'll build it, take care of all necessary permits and have it up quick.

Then what I do inside later is my business, and my problem...I'm certain I am not the first, nor the last, to add the mother in law suite. I actually have a friend put an entire apartment upstairs for his. Turned the bonus room into a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen. As I had told another garage builder I talked to I was in no way asking anyone the builder to do anything "shady" but I did advise them on what I plan to do after they all leave....once the addition was up any of that (liking turning the two rooms into bedrooms, by basically just putting beds in them) was going to be done by me.

So with that in mind, I appreciate everyone's advice and thoughts...

Anyone else ever have Carolina Custom Builders do a building for them? Our Friend Anna and husband were very pleased with the entire process...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary