Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 4,797 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking to move to NC within the next year for a teaching job and am curious as to what is the best area for a girl in her late 20's to move to. I like to shop, and being within an hours drive near an airport to travel home is important.

thanks for any input !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 PM

510 posts, read 900,850 times
well, being partly sarcastic and party serious--if you are moving here for a teaching job you won't have any money to go shopping, so don't worry about being close to any stores. Same with traveling--you won't have any money to go home and visit, hopefully your relatives can come her and visit you.

teachers don't move into NC, they move out

Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,435 times
someplace close to where you will be teaching.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 PM

really? I've heard NC has a lot of open teaching positions?? I'm in NY now and there is nothing here.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:40 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
The reason NC has a lot of open teaching positions is because of the poor pay. You might want to do a little research.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 PM

116 posts, read 173,003 times
There are jobs, but teachers are not paid well or treated well,
for that matter. My sister moved from NY to NC to teach and is looking to get into another field after two years.

As for an answer to your question, in this area, it's typically better to know where you're working first and then check out places to live nearby. Plenty of good shopping and other things to do for people your age. The airport is probably 20-25 minutes max from most areas in Raleigh. Also you say "NC," so are you looking in other areas of the state besides the Triangle?

Old 10-28-2014, 07:51 PM

yes I am doing research on the state and the teaching field in general. and no, I don't have an area in mind. I have family thoughout the state and they all love living in NC, though none of them happen to be teachers.

thanks

Old 10-28-2014, 08:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Survey calls North Carolina the worst state for teachers in the US | abc11.com

Old 10-28-2014, 08:17 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,351 times
I actually know two teachers from my current state of New York who moved to NC to get jobs - since there are ZERO opportunities here. They both got positions, though they are varying degrees of happy with them.

Better than being unemployed!

But, I see your point here . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
well, being partly sarcastic and party serious--if you are moving here for a teaching job you won't have any money to go shopping, so don't worry about being close to any stores. Same with traveling--you won't have any money to go home and visit, hopefully your relatives can come her and visit you.

teachers don't move into NC, they move out

Old 10-28-2014, 08:19 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,351 times
Default Teaching

You CAN get positions - I know 2 NYS friends who moved to NC and did - though their pay is low and their initials schools were, well, on the scary side. But after 2 years they switched schools and things are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur123 View Post
really? I've heard NC has a lot of open teaching positions?? I'm in NY now and there is nothing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: