Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
Heaven help us if they are regulated the way they are where I live! Regulation has been used as a cudgel to keep the taxi system in the stone ages. And protection? I was recently in an accident with a taxi. Turns out the company "self-insures" which means fundamentally no insurance. It's not a no-fault state, but my insurance has had to cover because the taxi company is not to be found.

You may know your way around, but not everyone does. They're the ones who get skinned.
So, you think they're safer riding with an individual who doesn't have commercial auto insurance?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
Heaven help us if they are regulated the way they are where I live! Regulation has been used as a cudgel to keep the taxi system in the stone ages. And protection? I was recently in an accident with a taxi. Turns out the company "self-insures" which means fundamentally no insurance. It's not a no-fault state, but my insurance has had to cover because the taxi company is not to be found.

You may know your way around, but not everyone does. They're the ones who get skinned.
I agree the taxi industry is full of cronyism and currupt, hiding behind bought regulation to keep them viable. Uber and the like are a great business model, but there needs to be some middle ground.

I'm not in favor of having to pay for expensive "operators license" (eg: "Tax") just to drive people around, but the insurance thing is a big deal. It's all good and well until someone gets seriously injured in an Uber ride. Uber will refuse to pay because they can, the driver's insurance will (justifiably) refuse to pay because they weren't insuring the activity, and the driver can't afford to pay. The driver and rider will both go bankrupt while Uber collects their 20+% and goes on their merry way.

Like I said, the model is good, but it raises questions that have not been addressed before, and need to be addressed. It also challenges an older industry that needs to be shaken up. And a company that has some hint of humanity in them can come and mop the floors with Uber's shady practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 12:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I agree the taxi industry is full of cronyism and currupt, hiding behind bought regulation to keep them viable. Uber and the like are a great business model, but there needs to be some middle ground.

I'm not in favor of having to pay for expensive "operators license" (eg: "Tax") just to drive people around, but the insurance thing is a big deal. It's all good and well until someone gets seriously injured in an Uber ride. Uber will refuse to pay because they can, the driver's insurance will (justifiably) refuse to pay because they weren't insuring the activity, and the driver can't afford to pay. The driver and rider will both go bankrupt while Uber collects their 20+% and goes on their merry way.

Like I said, the model is good, but it raises questions that have not been addressed before, and need to be addressed. It also challenges an older industry that needs to be shaken up. And a company that has some hint of humanity in them can come and mop the floors with Uber's shady practices.
Why wouldn't their health insurance pay in this situation?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Same reason that someone pours scalding hot coffee on their own genitalia and expects the Hamburgler to pay for it.... (No offense, but while I agree with your sentiment, it's just not reality in America in 2014).

Old 12-08-2014, 01:13 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Same reason that someone pours scalding hot coffee on their own genitalia and expects the Hamburgler to pay for it.... (No offense, but while I agree with your sentiment, it's just not reality in America in 2014).

Not for nothing, but that is a greatly misunderstood case. The facts could not be further from the popular portrayal. The Truth Behind the McDonalds Coffee Case - Avvo.com

Old 12-09-2014, 02:45 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Not for nothing, but that is a greatly misunderstood case. The facts could not be further from the popular portrayal. The Truth Behind the McDonalds Coffee Case - Avvo.com
Readers Digest did a better job on the story. Remember the Hot Coffee Lawsuit? What Really Happened | Reader's Digest

Old 12-09-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Sooo... you're suggesting that one's health insurance should cover a huge bill if one is severely injured in a car crash just because they think Uber is cool because.... "there's an app."

I'm still waiting for an Uber driver to rape someone. I'm sure most of them are nice enough people, but come on... there's not really that extensive a background check on people who don't really work FOR the company.

These are contractors.

Uber are, in my opinion, gaming the system and they'll vanish when they cannot get more VC poured into their wallets.

Or when they have to start passing the same standards as other driver services.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
But... in this case, McDonald's has insurance that covered that woman's injury.

If you're injured while doing business with Uber, you'd better hope YOUR insurance is good because they're totally exempt from everything.

If we use Uber logic, I should be able to start selling burgers out of people's cars. Without any sort of restaurant inspections.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:52 PM

272 posts, read 303,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I'm still waiting for an Uber driver to rape someone. I'm sure most of them are nice enough people, but come on... there's not really that extensive a background check on people who don't really work FOR the company.
Already happened in India:

Uber banned from operating in Delhi after rape accusation | Reuters

Old 12-09-2014, 07:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Sooo... you're suggesting that one's health insurance should cover a huge bill if one is severely injured in a car crash just because they think Uber is cool because.... "there's an app."

These are contractors.

Uber are, in my opinion, gaming the system and they'll vanish when they cannot get more VC poured into their wallets.

Or when they have to start passing the same standards as other driver services.
The only thing I'm suggesting is that, as far as I know, health insurance pays for injuries that are covered under your policy. I could be wrong about this. I'm not an attorney nor am I in the insurance business. I think the insurance company could require that you sue the company if they thought negligence played a part. At least I have heard of something like that happening to a family friend. (Really horrible situation...daughter drowned in grandmas pool and the insurance company would only cover the bills if the parents sued grandma.)

Are you sure they don't do a background check?

I'm not defending them. I know very little about the company except what I've read here. And it does sound like there are a lot of loopholes that need to be closed. I just didn't think it was reasonable to assume that a health insurance company won't cover the hospital expenses if the patient was in an Uber car when the accident happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary