U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,211,839 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are considering moving back to NC, specially the Triangle area, currently we are looking at Wake Forest/ Rolesville and North Raleigh. Our daughter who is 4 has a severe allergy to peanuts and can not eat any nuts since most nuts are processed in the same facilities and thus cross contaimination is great.

I am interested if Wake Co. Public Schools has a food allergy policy or if it is left up to individual schools. (I'll contact WCPSS for specifics). But I'm hoping that some of you might have had experience w/ this. Anyone with a child w/ a food allergy in school? Or does your children have a classmate w/ a food allergy?

Also are you aware of any food allergy support groups for parents and older kids in the triangle.

Lastly, if you know of any private school that ban nuts from their schools I would appreciate the name of the school.

When I grew up in NC, the peanut was king, so I worry about my daughters safety. But fortunately she is getting older and has a better understanding but she is only 4.

Thank you for any help on this obscure topic!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 PM

1,935 posts, read 7,364,705 times
My children have nut allergies and their schools here in Holly Springs have been right on top of it. They sent home specific memos to everyone in their class. Gave out special instructions to all staff on their epi-pen usage etc. Had special forms that had to be sent to the district offices and district nurses. So far I am impessed!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,596,710 times
We are in Wake Forest & I cannot speak to nut allergy issues (only 1 mild nut allergy in my 2nd grader's class) but will say that on issues I have dealt with I have found the schools to be really current. Check the web sites for the schools you would be considering, most of the schools have great individual web sites.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:00 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,512,264 times
Every school I have worked at has been on top of it, even if that means no nuts for lunch, parties etc. I've worked at a school which was mostly Muslim and school lunches always included a meat free alternative. The number one factor is always the safety of the child where allergies are concerned.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 20,503 times
Default question

I am not sure as to where to post this question on this site. My son has recently been diagnosed with a very severe peanut/tree nut allergy. He will be 2 in june. I was reading online that if you think they consumed the nuts, but even not sure, to still use the epi-pen jr, and not to wait and see. But is it harmful to them if they actually didn't end up ingesting the nuts to use the pen?
My son projectile vomited many times in a row with the tiniest amount of peanut butter (very first contact with peanuts), and when he got peanut residue that was on my hands in contact with his face (wiping tears.. this was before we found out he was allergic). He ended up with a huge rash on his face, and eyes red, and eyes swelled up a bit.
I have been reading lots online about his allergy, and what to watch out for, but if there is anything specific anyone has information to pass on to me in regards to this allergy, I'm more than willing to listen, and take the advice.
No one on either side of our families (me and husband) has any peanut/tree nut allergies, so this was out of the blue.

Thanks for reading.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:36 AM

823 posts, read 3,737,304 times
I visited a first grade class in Chapel Hill. The students were eating there snacks in the classroom. After eating, they wiped down the tables with wipes to remove peanut/nut traces. I don't know if there was an allergic child in the class.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:04 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,072,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Hello all! We are considering moving back to NC, specially the Triangle area, currently we are looking at Wake Forest/ Rolesville and North Raleigh. Our daughter who is 4 has a severe allergy to peanuts and can not eat any nuts since most nuts are processed in the same facilities and thus cross contaimination is great.

I am interested if Wake Co. Public Schools has a food allergy policy or if it is left up to individual schools. (I'll contact WCPSS for specifics). But I'm hoping that some of you might have had experience w/ this. Anyone with a child w/ a food allergy in school? Or does your children have a classmate w/ a food allergy?

Also are you aware of any food allergy support groups for parents and older kids in the triangle.

Lastly, if you know of any private school that ban nuts from their schools I would appreciate the name of the school.

When I grew up in NC, the peanut was king, so I worry about my daughters safety. But fortunately she is getting older and has a better understanding but she is only 4.

Thank you for any help on this obscure topic!
There have been a few children with nut allergies in school. We were told about it, but no, they didn't ban peanuts for everyone.

I do know that at last one child brought his lunch from home each day, did not eat school food, and their own treats if the class was having a holiday party or celebrating a birthday. The schools seems supportive in general, but they don't limit others choices.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM

420 posts, read 1,318,515 times
I too am concerned about this issue. My 10 year old daugher has a severe peanut allergy. We are so lucky here in Colorado with our schools, and they know her so well at this point. We keep her epi-pens/benadryl at the school and memo's are sent out for her class to bring only peanut free snacks into the classroom. There is a peanut free table for lunch and the cafeteria food is peanut free. I am nervous about our move this summer to the Raleigh area in terms of her allergy!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,211,839 times
For those of you with kids or you yourselves have food allergies I recommend another group. NCFACES.. it's a yahoo users group for NC and food allergies. Some of the school questions / concerns could be posted there. It's a good resource. PM me if you need more information.

And to those of you who have posted how food allergies are handled in your schools thank you!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM

823 posts, read 3,737,304 times
safe@school partners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary