Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 PM

360 posts, read 516,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Exactly. People are so ridiculous when it comes to this stuff.
How would they know differently? I can tell you this kind of thing is very true elsewhere, and people from other places bring this experience with them. Maybe you could just tell them, instead of being rude about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:07 PM

425 posts, read 462,744 times
Having gone through multiple corporate relocation's, you end up having to base your school assessment purely based upon available statistics. Rarely, do you have time to go interview parents, sit in on classes, meet the staff, etc. Often the relocations are effectively immediately, so you take the available data and hope for the best. This certainly doesn't mean there are not great schools that don't have great statistical data, but pretty tough to find those schools from a distance, with limited knowledge of the area.

OP - We went through this exact situation this summer, except we wanted to immediately buy for financial reasons. We were focused on Davis Drive, Green Hope, and Highcroft (again purely statistical analysis). I can tell you that in July we had a bear of a time even finding any house in the Davis Drive district that met our reasonable criteria and wasn't already under contract to go look at. If DDE is your first choice, start as early as possible. We ended up buying a house that was bigger than what we were looking for, but it wasn't under contract, available for a quick close, and was right next to Highcroft Elementary. Turned out to be a good decision for us. We love the neighborhood.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
How would they know differently? I can tell you this kind of thing is very true elsewhere, and people from other places bring this experience with them. Maybe you could just tell them, instead of being rude about it.
No one was rude..but really if people read almost any school thread here they are going to figure out quickly the are in the Northeast any longer.

If people want the snob appeal of being in a certain school ...they just aren't going to find that here. ..because most parents are proud of their kids individual school...especially at the elementary level. No one is going to be impressed that a child goes to Davis Drive rather than North Forest Pines.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:04 PM

211 posts, read 301,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
No one was rude..but really if people read almost any school thread here they are going to figure out quickly the are in the Northeast any longer.

If people want the snob appeal of being in a certain school ...they just aren't going to find that here. ..because most parents are proud of their kids individual school...especially at the elementary level. No one is going to be impressed that a child goes to Davis Drive rather than North Forest Pines.
I think you're making broad assumptions about the OP wanting to send their child to DDE for bragging rights. And that's certainly rude in my book. You have very valid points about other schools being as good as, or even better than, DDE/DDM. But I can't fathom why you would chose to berate the OP for their choice

Old 11-03-2014, 03:14 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And of course there are dozens of similarly excellent schools elsewhere in the Triangle. The notion that Davis Drive has some sort of magic formula or special curriculum is insane.

But if the OP wants to limit her options based on a misguided assumption that Cary schools are so far superior that it makes sense to limit housing choices, go right ahead. This is exactly the sort of insanity that makes Cary so disproportionately expensive for our area.
It's not really insanity though. If you look at the data and by that I mean test scores certain schools are doing a far and away better job of getting their students to meet the state standards.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:31 PM

360 posts, read 516,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post

Wow. Bragging rights? I don't even know anyone I would say has sent their child to a specific school for bragging rights. It is far more likely wouldn't you say they are concerned about their child's education? I think most of us, given the need to choose a place to live in the area, would start comparing schools and probably not expect to be attacked for it.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:37 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And of course there are dozens of similarly excellent schools elsewhere in the Triangle. The notion that Davis Drive has some sort of magic formula or special curriculum is insane.

But if the OP wants to limit her options based on a misguided assumption that Cary schools are so far superior that it makes sense to limit housing choices, go right ahead. This is exactly the sort of insanity that makes Cary so disproportionately expensive for our area.
I agree, but if a person posts and has their heart set on a certain area, I usually just let it go as they have already made up their mind. If they ask "here is where I'm looking for" and I'm familiar with an area that fits, then I'll be happy to provide some information. For the OP, they are working in Cary so a Cary/Morrisville/Apex address makes sense, whether it is in the Davis Drive district or another.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I just let it go. More people cramming into an already crowded area means less crowded stores, roads, schools and businesses for the rest of us. So yeah, Davis Drive schools are the BEST!

Last edited by lamishra; 11-03-2014 at 05:41 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 05:02 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I can assure you that there is no class at DDE that has only 16 kids. Class sizes in all grades are on par with all the other overcrowded schools in Wake County. The third grade is a bit smaller than other schools, since it's the first year they take the EOG the principal prefers to keep the class size a bit smaller. You won't go over 24 K-2 either but my youngest, who is the only one who went there for those grades, never had that many in a class. It usually varied from 21-23.

You're looking at 28-30 in grades 4 and 5.

Aside from test scores (which I don't care too much about) there are a lot of things to like about DDE. I'm very happy my kids go/went there. We've had truly fantastic teachers, they have high expectations for the kids, and they have a lot of nice traditions (which are as important to me as any test scores). I've also liked having all my kids on one campus (elementary and middle).

Cornerstone is the only apartment complex that feeds into DDE.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
It's not really insanity though. If you look at the data and by that I mean test scores certain schools are doing a far and away better job of getting their students to meet the state standards.
They do a far and away better job of being situated in an area where more kids are from families of greater means.

This translates to better standardized test scores. That's all. Not saying there aren't some great teachers there, but this is true all over the Triangle.

My kids score high on standardized tests. They do this at every school they've attended. It's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary