Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

Living off Sumner Blvd and Old Wake Forest Rd, i can't understand the traffic there seemingly looking for a shortcut.

Where is everyone going?

Why do they keep using this route knowing how it gridlocks almost nightly? Capital seems better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:41 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,518 times
lol that shortcut is hardly a secret... I worked downtown for years and used it often when coming in from Litchford and Durant. its a secondary road but during rush hour it really swells with traffic. plus the fact that UPS and FEDEX hubs use it as their facilities are close makes it even worse. Even on a bad day it's better than capital or falls of neuse. What you could do is take 401(Louisburg Road) on which people normally drive much faster and there are more lanes.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:03 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
It (Atlantic Ave.) is a known alternate route to Capital. When I work down at 401 and Capital, I use it to head home (towards Wake Forest).

Old 11-05-2014, 12:48 PM

263 posts, read 572,524 times
It may be as crowded as Capital, but it has fewer stoplights. So.... Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's one of the many alternate routes.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:01 PM

I remember that 10 years or so ago it was a good bypass.

Now, it almost always stinks.

I use Millbrook to Departure Drive which takes me almost home. Was just wondering why anyone would use it now.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Atlantic was created specifically to be an "artery" to downtown other than Capital. It should be no surprise that it's jammed (though I thought there was "no traffic whatsoever in Raleigh", going by what so many on this board say).

Old 11-06-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Atlantic was created specifically to be an "artery" to downtown other than Capital. It should be no surprise that it's jammed (though I thought there was "no traffic whatsoever in Raleigh", going by what so many on this board say).
If they say "no traffic", they're comparing Raleigh to NYC, NJ. DC, etc.

Traffic is starting to get nasty here with the stupid "growth at any cost" policy.

Even worse, this morning Channel 6 showed many drivers on Falls casually passing a stopped school bus. One, at least, got caught by RPD.

This city is dropping quality of life fast.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:55 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Even worse, this morning Channel 6 showed many drivers on Falls casually passing a stopped school bus. One, at least, got caught by RPD.
An insurance agent friend told me this had the same effect on your insurance rates as a DUI in most states. Which it should, if you think about it. It's arguably more dangerous.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Living off Sumner Blvd and Old Wake Forest Rd, i can't understand the traffic there seemingly looking for a shortcut.

Where is everyone going?

Why do they keep using this route knowing how it gridlocks almost nightly? Capital seems better.
I have to go that direction sometimes after work and it seems to me the big gridlock on Atlantic are those 3 lights at Old Wake Forest, Spring Forest and the Old Wake Forest/Litchford split. Those 3 lights back-to-back-to-back really suck.

To get around it, if I'm traveling north on Atlantic I turn right on Millbrook, then turn left on Departure Drive, left on Oak Forest, then right on Old Wake Forest to Sumpter.

Works much better...

Old 11-06-2014, 12:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
When Atlantic was first envisioned, it was done so with the assumption that it would be unencumbered by local traffic and essentially a surface road artery for commuting. There wasn't supposed to be development along it...err....right. Who in their right mind would believe that a road wouldn't spur development? Adding to the commuting nightmares on that road are all the businesses, residences, etc. that have driveways that connect along its path. If it had been developed more like a parkway with just crossing streets, it would be a much better artery for commuting.
In decades to come, Capital Blvd between 440 and 540 will become more like a limited access road and leave Atlantic as a local artery. Then again, we can always push for development of rail to N. Raleigh and Wake Forest to reduce some congestion pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary