Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I think that Thalheimers(sp) was the department store at Cameron Village where the HT is now. Hudson Belk may have been there, but I do not recall it.
I never knew it to be a Thalheimers, but certainly do remember it being a Hudson Belk just before changing over to Harris Teeter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 12:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Actually, I think I vaguely remember it being a Thalheimers before it was Belk's. Am I incorrect in thiking it was a Wellspring many years ago before it became Harris Teeter?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I don't remember if this was mentioned or not, but I have funny memories of the downtown Belk's on Fayettville St mall and my mother dragging me to their bargain basement!
My funniest memory of the Belk's downtown is that there was once an ad campaign for a men's cologne -- I think it was Paco Rabanne -- and there was rumored to be a male model in the window draped in sheets and a speaker system, and if you asked him what he was wearing under the sheet he'd say "Paco Raaonne." Sadly my sister and I could not persuade my mother to take us there to check it out, so I can't say I actually saw it, but the idea of it stuck with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra
Actually, I think I vaguely remember it being a Thalheimers before it was Belk's. Am I incorrect in thiking it was a Wellspring many years ago before it became Harris Teeter?
I thought the Raleigh Wellspring was always in the current Ridge Road Whole Foods location, but I'm not certain as I was already in (or out of) college and out of Raleigh when that store opened. I do know the first Wellspring was in Durham at the location where Magnolia Grill is now. Per the Whole Foods website, Wellspring opened in 1981, moved the Durham location in 1986, and opened the Chapel Hill location in 1990. It doesn't say when they opened Raleigh.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I remember going 4 wheelin' at Regency before it was Regency.
We used to go there some too. Most of my weekends in high school we were spent camping near the WKIX towers ( the area where James Jackson Ave. is now). If I remember there was 300 acres+ of woods there then.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 AM

65 posts, read 112,884 times
Default Raleigh Native

My parents would take me to the Ambassador theatre when I was a kid. This was in the early 60s. I think it was on Fayetteville street. We use to get grilled cheese sandwiches from a little deli nearby. That was some good times. We did all our Christmas shopping at Cameron Village and a underground toy store on Person Street. My mother went all twelve years of school at millbrook (the old school). I remember riding on the all the roads that are now underwater because of the Falls Dam. I'll sit back and read some more memories and dream of yesterday, wow.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:25 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
There was a store and a bridge at Lassiter Mill. There was also a country store at the bridge on Anderson drive. The beltline stopped at New Bern Avenue. Wake Med was for the poor.
I jumped off the top of that old bridge at Lassiter many times. I also remember going with my dad to pick up lumber from a nearby sawmill across the creek.

The old store on Anderson was Earp's Store...same family that now runs Earp's seafood.

I remember watching them roll the big two story farmhouse down the hill to make room for the "Wake Memorial Hospital" The house stood across the street until they built Walgreens and a new cut through to Milburnie Road.

I'm a 58 year old Raleigh native myself, and I remember most all the things mentioned on this thread. I'm sure I'll have more to add

Old 09-29-2008, 03:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waderight View Post
We did all our Christmas shopping at Cameron Village and a underground toy store on Person Street.
I remember the underground toy store, and at one time it was a dimestore. Years ago(mid 60's) one weeknight a week we dropped my brother off for piano lessons near Oakwood Cemetery, started a load of clothes at nearby Brookside Laundromat and went up to Person St. for doughnuts and a trip to the dimestore. The building is now Person Street Pharmacy which also has a lunch counter. You can get a good chicken or tuna salad sandwich there too.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
For those earlier (January) posts arguing about Cameron Village, y'all need to check out (literally) the book Cameron Village, a History 1949-1999, which can be found at the Cameron Village (of course) library (and probably others). Though I guess it's almost a decade old, I just learned about it recently and had wonderful memories paging through, reading about old stores I'd long forgotten about (Virginia Crabtree, Hickory Farms, Ellisberg's, Galleria, Wrenn-Pharr, Mac Joseph's, the Penney's that used to be there...) and seeing old pictures, and, the coolest of all, the store layouts for each decade.

To answer the argument above about what used to be where Harris-Teeter is:

It began as a Sears originally, was later Belk, then Thalheimer's (which is what it was right before Harris-Teeter moved there from its previous location where Rite Aid (Eckerd's) is now. Thalheimer's was two floors.

Lots of info on the old Village Subway, too.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Hi --

if anyone has other 'remembories' (as my kids used to call it) to add to this thread, would you please include the decade you're talking about (to give us an idea of how long this change has taken)

thanks!
Nims
I remember moving here in the early 70's, Cameron Village was the place to shop. North Hills was a mall, and all the talk was about a domestic dispute where a poor lady was shot in the parking lot. Crabtree mall was a lot smaller and not as hi-end as now - but a good place for me to find bellbottom jeans
The apartments across from Crabtree were mostly populated by people from "Up North" or overseas..very few locals. The locals lived inside the beltline or in pockets on the outside of town on land that had been in their family for some time. Falls of the Neuse Rd was out of town. Mitch's Tavern on Hillsborough was the place for younger people to hang out - as was Cameron Village underground with the Pier, Frog and Nightgown Jazz Club, disco club "Skyline"? The Rathskiller on H/boro was the place for trendsetting, unusual food. There was a drive in movie theater on Capital Blvd, I think it was near Buffaloe Rd...fuzzy on this.
Cars were huge and American made! Now that would be except for a few smaller ones, Gremlin, AMC Pacer, Honda CVCC. No car seats or carriers for babies.
People were nicer, kinder, would let you merge in traffic - not much traffic I know but they would give you space. They'd say hello as they passed you on the street, and customer service was some of the finest I've experienced...espec. in Cameron Village. I'll stop here and hope this jogs a few memories

Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 925 times
I was born in Rex Hospital at the St. Mary's street location in 1950. At the time it was the largest hospital in Raleigh. My parents lived in the new apartments at Cameron village when I was born. I remember when Lake Boon Trail was mostly swampy woods. When I was 3 we moved to Medlin Drive (Off Dixie Trail). Most of that area was woods with just a little store at the end near Dixie Tr. My brothers and i would pick up coke bottles and the owner of the store would give us 5 cents for each bottle that we would bring to him, Yay candy money! Years later a little strip shopping center replaced the little grocery store and the original "Frog and the Nightgown", was built way before underground Raleigh was conceived. When I was 19 I saw Bette Midler on her first stop, of her first road show out of NY at the Frog. It was a fairly small place and it was packed most of the time. I worked at the the Northwoods shopping center at Kerr Drug Store from the time i was 14 until i graduated from Broughton High in 1968. It was just the drug store and a couple of other stores in a short strip shopping center at the time. I think I saw a Walmart there now., when i looked it up on line. In 1950 the US Census for population was 65,679 and 10.883 sq miles, in 1960 the population was 93,931 and 33.7 sq miles. I left in 1969 and it was a very different place then it is now. in 2010 i read that there were 403,892 and 143,865 sq miles. WOW! And it's still the greatest place in my memory. Beth Diggett Bolan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary