Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:07 PM

32 posts, read 50,528 times

Advertisements

We are currently visiting Cary and Chapel Hill. Today was Cary and we really liked the vibe Of Cary Park neighborhood. I was just wondering if anyone here knows the neighborhood well and can give an insider perspective. We enjoyed all of Cary that we explored today and we mostly figured West Cary would be most convenient since it would be only about 10 minutes from my husband's office (EPA building south of RTP). I also thought the lake and trails were charming. The houses are varied and the styles suit our tastes. I think we could find one in our budget there. Around 500K. What we don't know from driving through as outsiders is the friendliness of the neighbors. I saw people out walking and kids out playing and biking. That sounds like something that is really appealing to our family. Also not sure about schools there. Any other thoughts or feedback? Thanks!

Last edited by AngelinaK; 11-08-2014 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 PM

Looking into the schools I see they are capped. I have a 5 year old (August bday), 2 year old and infant. I guess the 5 year old would be out of luck if we moved there (to rent first) in the Spring, huh?

Old 11-09-2014, 05:17 AM

921 posts, read 889,960 times
We have lived in Cary Park for the last 1 1/2 years. We love it here. It is a very friendly place to live and has lots of kids playing outside. We relocated from NY and found it very easy to make great friends. We love hanging out at the pool and they host a few organized events throughout the year.

The trail round the lake is great for walking,jogging and biking. I also really like that we can walk to the shopping area on a nice day.

If your child will be starting kindergarten here, then there is a good chance they will go to their assigned school. We have had a few new neighbors and that is how it has worked even though Mills Park is capped. The truth is, in this location all the schools are very good. We were previously attending Green Hope Elementary (which we loved) but switched to MPE because it is very close and alot of my daughters neighborhood friends go there. We are equally pleased with MPE. My neighbor likes year round and attends Alston Ridge. They love it there.

With your budget you can find a beautiful home. I would say that you will be comfortably in the midle of what homes sell for in Cary Park.

If I can answer anything else for you feel free to ask away.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 AM

360 posts, read 517,717 times
Cary Park is really nice. We live near there any enjoy the area. A lot of parks, etc, nearby. It doesn't take that long to drive in to other things, but we just happen to like living closer in to things if that makes sense. We're always driving in to town to do stuff. Only 15-20 minutes, so depends on the person. We are still considering buying in this area but our preference is for closer to central Cary, but still on that west side. We're also renting while we figure out the area, which I totally recommend.

In terms of the neighbors, everyone we meet is very friendly and open to meeting new people. We have clicked with almost everyone we've met out here. I think that's probably generally true in Cary, actually, but we've found it to be true in west Cary.

Schools... you want to call the "Data Manager" for the school you're concerned about. In this case, Mills Park ES. Although it's capped, there are often enough spots available for kindergarten. You may find you'll have no issue with the school despite the cap.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 AM

22,692 posts, read 36,875,727 times
For kindergarten you will probably get in. I would call the school as YetAnotherTransplant said, and ask for the data manager. S/he will probably tell you that there is no guarantees, but they will also be able to give you the date that they still guarantee you a spot if you establish residency by then. So when you say "spring", you may still be in luck if you can get here by their "capped date".

Old 11-09-2014, 07:54 AM

715 posts, read 890,469 times
Very popular choice for new residents and think you would be fine. Regarding schools no one knows and that is the frustrating part for most with kids. I would rent first since I do think there are other areas to explore but if you need to be around folks from back home then go for it.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the replies!
We are planning to rent first while we look for the right place to buy. Maybe a condo/apartment in Cary Park or Amberly.

A few questions (thanks for bearing with me and my curiosities):
My husband enjoys gardening and we currently have a couple small garden beds. Moving to a subdivision like Cary Park would there be any opportunities for that? I assume there probably won't be space for our own backyard garden but perhaps community gardens?

I am glad to see that Harris Teeter is close to Cary park, but we mainly stop at Trader Joe's and I was wondering how long it takes on a typical day to drive over there. I am surprised there is only one Trader Joe's in all of Cary. I think I saw they were planning to build another Whole Foods, but I'm not sure if that is true for Trader Joe's as well. I wish.

How about farmers markets?

Are there other communities similar to Cary Park that have a central lake/pond and paved walkways, and an active family community? We are open to other communities within 15 minutes of EPA building/RTP.

I saw there is a nice pool area, but are there other parks/playgrounds around Cary Park where children gather?

I'm sure I will think of others but thanks for any insight!

Old 11-09-2014, 04:10 PM

22,692 posts, read 36,875,727 times
It's a hike to both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods from Cary Park.

As far as similar communities they are practically a dime a dozen around here, they just might not be brand new.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:25 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
You could try Carpenter Village. That would be closer to WF and TJ's, and still close to EPA. It's older than Cary Park, just barely.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:38 PM

360 posts, read 517,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinaK View Post
I saw there is a nice pool area, but are there other parks/playgrounds around Cary Park where children gather?
Cary Park has a nice playground right by the swimming pool.

A bit more of a drive, but there's also a really, really nice park just down Green Level Church road called "Thomas E Brooks Park." Also, Sears Farm Road Park is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary