Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 08:01 PM

26 posts, read 70,073 times

Advertisements

Hello: I am considering moving to the Raleigh area and am interested in finding more information about North Raleigh neighborhoods. I am primarily considering the area between Umstead Park and Falls of Neuse Road. I have seen what I believe to be good prices on homes (less than $200K) in the area. Can someone comment on their experience living in this neck of the woods? I would be particularly thankful if I could get an idea of why you like your neighborhood and whether you consider the area a safe place to live. I am considering both condominiums and single family homes.

Thank you!

P.S. While I realize that quality of public schools is a major factor for most, this is not a factor for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,669,964 times
Maybe you can name the neighborhoods you found some houses that you are interested in .

Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,034,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoengr View Post
Hello: I am considering moving to the Raleigh area and am interested in finding more information about North Raleigh neighborhoods. I am primarily considering the area between Umstead Park and Falls of Neuse Road. I have seen what I believe to be good prices on homes (less than $200K) in the area. Can someone comment on their experience living in this neck of the woods? I would be particularly thankful if I could get an idea of why you like your neighborhood and whether you consider the area a safe place to live. I am considering both condominiums and single family homes.

Thank you!

P.S. While I realize that quality of public schools is a major factor for most, this is not a factor for me.
While you may find some homes under 200K, that price ceiling is going to seriously limit your options. Staying under that ceiling is probably going to mean your choices will be smaller, older or unrenovated. Or, they may be a combination of all three! Also, you may find the competition to purchase the "good" homes in that price range to be fierce. That's a price point that usually sells to first time buyers who don't have to unload a home in NJ, NY, FL, etc. before they buy. Within your stated boundaries, the prices will be higher the closer you are to the 440 (beltline). I'd suggest looking in Northclift. While the homes are older and smaller and the neighborhood might not look so glorious right now, it's a fantastic location just a mile or two North of North Hills on Six Forks Rd. I can just see this neighborhood becoming more popular with buyers as they seek "affordable" housing in terrific locations as the city grows.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:16 PM

AG: sorry, I don't know the names of the neighborhoods as I am not yet in the area. If someone can point to a map with subdivision names I would appreciate it!

RNC: As far as size, I was thinking of 1500-2000 SF size. Thanks for your recommendation. I also see decent prices on condos in this area. Is the area generally safe?

Thanx.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoengr View Post
AG: sorry, I don't know the names of the neighborhoods as I am not yet in the area. If someone can point to a map with subdivision names I would appreciate it!

RNC: As far as size, I was thinking of 1500-2000 SF size. Thanks for your recommendation. I also see decent prices on condos in this area. Is the area generally safe?

Thanx.
Condos and Townhouses will definitely be cheaper, especially if you aren't looking at new ones. The disparity of price between new and existing multifamily housing can be pretty high. But, then again, many new condo and townhouse communities are going upscale as more and more people choose the lifestyle instead of just being stuck with it because of costs.
As for safety, the area you identify is terrific...27612 and 27609 are particularly hot right now as people want to be in the North or Northwest side of Raleigh but they don't want to be way out on the edge of town.

My first home purchase was a condo off of Duraleigh near the "Olde Raleigh" neighborhood. It was inexpensive and in a terrific location. I just looked up the 'hood online but didn't find any of the condos currently on the market (that's how hot that location is for that price). However, there was one townhouse for sale under $130,000. These homes were built in the late 80's.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,097,983 times
A used home might also be a better bet for another reason.

The building codes are a sick joke in NC, and much, but not all, of the new work is pure junk done by subcontractors of very questionable immigration status.

Be sure to get any of your prospective purchases thoroughly inspected.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
A used home might also be a better bet for another reason.

The building codes are a sick joke in NC, and much, but not all, of the new work is pure junk done by subcontractors of very questionable immigration status.

Be sure to get any of your prospective purchases thoroughly inspected.
Let's please not make correlations between immigration status and quality of work.

That said, I too would always recommend a thorough home inspection. Pay particular attention to how water migrates over, around and (hopefully not) through the property. Windows are also an important factor to consider since so much heat can be lost through them in the Winter. Additionally, HOA financial soundness and effectiveness should be closely studied.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM

23 posts, read 69,924 times
Check out that Beazer Townhomes development right off Ebanezer Church Road. I saw one just under 2,000 sqft for $200K. I just put a deposit on a new construction just left of those townhomes. While signing my papers I was going through the model and it looked pretty nice. Good Luck.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,544,165 times
The area you are talking about is right where we moved to when we first moved down to NC 13 years ago. We moved to the Domion Park neighborhood (most homes built in the late 80's/early 90's) and bought a fairly nice (at least at first sight) 2 story 1800 sq ft house for $148k. The catch? The areais VERY close to RDU International airport, and the air traffic literally drownds out the sound of everything else on an almost hourly basis. The house would shake, windows rattle; it was really irritating. That, and, the house was pretty shoddy construction (Pulte homes, really bad quality if you are talking about homes under $300k) . We left N. Raleigh in 1998 for Cary; and stayed in West-Central area of Wake county ( Cary, SW Raleigh, and finally ending up in Apex for 2 years) for the rest of the time we lived in NC.

btw. Last time I checked, houses of similar size in that area were going for about $220k-$230k. You're really about 4 or 5 years too late to still be able to get really decent houses (single family at least) for under $200k almost anywhere in Wake County.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 PM

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you all for your input. If you have any more input regarding safety and quality versus pricing for the North Raleigh area I would appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary