Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 PM

11 posts, read 16,309 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm wondering if studying in DURHAM LITERACY Center considered taking Philanthropy, Because the guy

responsible for the Esol English Classes Keeps reminding us that we are giving you our philanthropy??!!

We are residents of Durham and need to attend these classes. With rules that keeps our dignity.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Care to try and explain that again?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:59 AM

250 posts, read 691,920 times
Jeremy, do you mean the guy managing the classes keeps reminding you and other class members that the free classes are philanthropy (charity) being given to you? If so, I can see that you could feel uncomfortable with this. I haven't met a person yet who likes to be reminded that he or she is receiving something free. I understand that you could see it as undermining your dignity.

I'm not sure why he is doing this, but is it possible this guy thinks you and others do not appreciate the center or the classes? Do you appreciate them? If so, have you told him and others at the center? Even if the guy is being paid to provide the classes, he may still want to be appreciated for his work. I haven't met a person yet who didn't like being appreciated for the work they do.

One other thing, it may annoy you for this guy to remind you that you are being given something free, but every time he does it, I hope you can say to yourself, "This is annoying, but it has nothing to do with my dignity. My dignity belongs to me, not to this guy. Nothing he says can hurt my dignity unless I let it. And I'm not letting it." Then you can decide how you want to respond. Do you want to talk with him, report him, ignore it and focus on taking advantage of the free classes, or what?

One other thing. I don't understand what you mean by "Is Studying in Durham Lieracy center considered Fellony?" In the USA, a felony is a type of serious crime. Studying in the Durham Literacy Center is not a felony (serious crime). Can you find other words to use to ask this question?

Last edited by hmrd; 11-11-2014 at 02:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

View detailed profiles of: