Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:54 PM

32 posts, read 50,487 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for your helpfulness on this board. I think we've narrowed down to our top 2 choices of Preston and Cary Park. Does anyone want to weigh in on this comparison? The commute would be almost the same from either community. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
What part of Preston?

Old 11-11-2014, 07:27 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Much of Preston is prettier than Cary Park, with larger lots, more mature specimen trees.
Of course, there is the option of Prestonwood CC, for anyone in the area, but Preston Village has great neighborhood amenities.

Green Hope ES is right on the edge of Preston Village. Quite walkable.

One trade-off in Preston vs. Cary Park is the higher incidence of RDU plane traffic overhead in Preston, whereas Cary Park is outside the noise notification zones.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...8.4935,35.9935

Newer housing stock in Cary Park, new enough not to have hardboard siding and Polybutylene water supply lines. Some of Preston has both.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:43 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
They're so different I can't imagine them in the same conversation. Preston, hands down, for me, but I don't like houses that are 10 feet away from each other or that whole area of northwest Cary anyway.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They're so different I can't imagine them in the same conversation. Preston, hands down, for me, but I don't like houses that are 10 feet away from each other or that whole area of northwest Cary anyway.
Yeah. That's my general take as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinaK View Post
Thank you all so much for your helpfulness on this board. I think we've narrowed down to our top 2 choices of Preston and Cary Park. Does anyone want to weigh in on this comparison? The commute would be almost the same from either community. Thank you!!
Preston all day long. Just may need to factor in some updates.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:03 PM

After reading some threads, is it still true that Preston residents must pay something like 16K toward CC membership plus dues to use the pool? We are not golfers, but the pool is a must for us (we have three young kids).

Also considering Highcroft and Carpenter Village now. there is $630K home in Carpenter Village that I'd jump on now if we had that budget. Looks perfect for us.

Any downsides to CV or Highcroft I should be aware of? How bad is the airport noise? We're OK with occasional planes overhead but don't want to be stopped mid-conversation to wait for the plane to pass, if that makes sense.

Last edited by AngelinaK; 11-11-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What part of Preston?
Not sure. Budget around 500K. Would love a craftsman or other style with decent sized porch. Suggestions?

Old 11-11-2014, 08:35 PM

498 posts, read 854,186 times
Hi Angelina,

We live in Carpenter Village and I would say the airplane noise is rarely a problem. It never interferes with the TV or indoor conversations. If we are talking outside, we occasionally have to stop for a couple seconds.

And three young kids?! It's a rule that every family in CV have three young kids. Seriously, I think it's in the covenants or something. We all seem to have three! Every once in a while a family with two or four slip through, but many have three. We enjoy the pools, tot lots, and path to the library. There is nothing quite like walking from our front door to the county's second largest library along the lake path, never once crossing a street. We have an active community and the Western Wake Farmer's Market currently meets at the entrance to the neighborhood every Saturday. There are official neighborhood events (like monthly summer concerts on the big lawn) and many parts of CV hold their own block parties as well. Breakfast with Santa is our next event.

Your budget should get you a nice selection in the neighborhood...maybe not this week, but generally. Over the last few months a TON of homes have been up for sale and sold very quickly.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:55 PM

580 posts, read 712,123 times
[quote=AngelinaK;37238861]After reading some threads, is it still true that Preston residents must pay something like 16K toward CC membership plus dues to use the pool? We are not golfers, but the pool is a must for us (we have three young kids).

Preston Village has their own pool. Not sure what the dues are. My mom lives there but never asked.

Prestonwood CC- not sure what the initiation for social is now (includes pool, gym, kids club, activities, dining) but monthly fee is about $190. You pay monthly but the pool is outside so no year round swimming there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary