Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,805 times

Advertisements

Hi! Has anyone here decided to work for MetLife since they moved here? How do you find the company culture? Any complaints? How is the pay like? I am thinking of applying to their Metlife Tech University program...is the pay good? What should I expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 AM

621 posts, read 982,312 times
Let's talk about my expectations. I expect if you search the forum you will find relevant information from the not too distant past.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Let's talk about my expectations. I expect if you search the forum you will find relevant information from the not too distant past.
Everything I found was about people's excitement about the company setting up offices. Nothing on pay, the program that I mentioned, culture, or anything else.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times
These are the kind of questions you ask on your interview. If they offer you a job they you negotiate your salary. Their avg. salary is 112k. MetLife jobs in Cary will pay nearly double salaries in Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
These are the kind of questions you ask on your interview. If they offer you a job they you negotiate your salary. Their avg. salary is 112k. MetLife jobs in Cary will pay nearly double salaries in Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal
I'm guessing they're not offering six figures to people fresh out of undergrad, though.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Wow, I've insured with Met over 20 years. Now see why my rates are suddenly rising and Met is now offering "junk" insurance for burial expenses on TV ads.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Wow, I've insured with Met over 20 years. Now see why my rates are suddenly rising and Met is now offering "junk" insurance for burial expenses on TV ads.
Actually, their entry into RTP is a fiscally responsible one. They're hiring IT professionals down here for 25% less in total compensation than their counterparts in the NY/NJ area. And unlike their last Southern expansions (Atlanta, GA and Greenville, SC), they're not relocating existing staff, so the inflated salaries aren't coming down here.

I have a theory that their establishing shop down here is simply bringing the Krispy Kreme rivalry full circle. For those not in the know, Metlife and Krispy Kreme had IPO's at the same time back in 2000 and Krispy Kreme initially trounced Met in terms of stock performance. So now Metlife is coming down to North Carolina, just down the road from the birthplace of Krispy Kreme, to assert their long term dominance.

Or maybe it's just to reduce staffing costs.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:59 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Actually, their entry into RTP is a fiscally responsible one. They're hiring IT professionals down here for 25% less in total compensation than their counterparts in the NY/NJ area. And unlike their last Southern expansions (Atlanta, GA and Greenville, SC), they're not relocating existing staff, so the inflated salaries aren't coming down here.

I have a theory that their establishing shop down here is simply bringing the Krispy Kreme rivalry full circle. For those not in the know, Metlife and Krispy Kreme had IPO's at the same time back in 2000 and Krispy Kreme initially trounced Met in terms of stock performance. So now Metlife is coming down to North Carolina, just down the road from the birthplace of Krispy Kreme, to assert their long term dominance.

Or maybe it's just to reduce staffing costs.
Another blow to their previous loyal employees.

How big a bribe was required to get them here?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Quote:

Me: Wow, it is a beautiful day. The sun is shining and the birds are singing!!

SaturnFan: Yeah, well if that sun keeps shining, we are all going to wind up with skin cancer and those birds never used to sing that loud. Sheesh, I can barely here myself complain.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Another blow to their previous loyal employees.

How big a bribe was required to get them here?
Their employees were encouraged to apply for the positions down here. They made a compelling argument regarding the reduction in base salary versus the cost of living and lifestyle benefits.

I applaud companies for looking into cheaper alternatives while also keeping jobs on domestic soil. I don't think Metlife is getting enough credit for passing on massive offshoring as a means to drive down operating expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary