Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM

377 posts, read 514,549 times

Advertisements

Driving through the area a couple of weeks ago I counted six dead deer along side of the road in N. Raleigh and WF. In one instance the hawks were chowing down on the dead carcass. However, going back on that road an hour or so later the dead deer was gone. I'm assuming the county or DOT goes out and removes the dead deer off of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 PM

122 posts, read 151,016 times
We keep seeing them. Avg at least one per day! How sad I am scared when I am driving that they will just dart in front of the car!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,225,724 times
They will goldenloveralways. Good to stay alert. I hit one last year. Didn't even have time to brake.

BTW, hawks don't eat carrion. They were probably turkey vultures you saw Tomitillo. They're bigger and flock together. Hawks are solitary unless it's mating season and they like to kill and eat their supper. Saw one snag a rat in downtown Carrboro about 15 years ago and tear it to shreds on top of a telephone pole.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 PM

533 posts, read 1,194,948 times
One hit my car last month. I was driving at dusk and it ran out into the road straight into my passenger side door. I felt badly for the poor thing.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 PM

377 posts, read 514,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They will goldenloveralways. Good to stay alert. I hit one last year. Didn't even have time to brake.

BTW, hawks don't eat carrion. They were probably turkey vultures you saw Tomitillo. They're bigger and flock together. Hawks are solitary unless it's mating season and they like to kill and eat their supper. Saw one snag a rat in downtown Carrboro about 15 years ago and tear it to shreds on top of a telephone pole.
Yep there were two of them tearing apart the neck area of the downed deer. They were vultures, like you said, which was my second guess. As you can see from my location I still live up here and the only vultures I deal with are the two legged variety, but not for much longer

Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 PM

I will have to be on full alert!!! Poor things! Who do you call if you hit one?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:23 PM

Your insurance company! And you can call 911 if it's in the road or, of course, if you're injured. When I hit one I was going 55 and didn't have time to brake. It came from the left across the opposite lane and ran right in front of me. Hit my right headlight and popped off the cover which went sailing over the roof of the car. I was still going 55, but pulled over as soon as I could. Couldn't find the deer. Must've made it into the woods. I just wanted to get home, so I didn't call anyone until I got home and then just called the insurance company. They asked if I called 911, I'm sure so they could access an incident report if so, but they seemed to think it was fine that I didn't. Of course I would have if any other vehicles were involved or if the deer was in the road and might cause a wreck. Unfortunately it's usually all or nothing with the deer. They usually die right away or run off like the one I hit, which may have died in the woods. Only once or twice have I seen one that was too injured to run off, but wasn't dead. Unfortunately then there's not much to do because if they can't run away they're probably hurt too bad to recover. You can call animal control in that situation. Probably the police will just come out and put it out of its misery.

Here's what Wildlife Welfare rehabbers in Wake say:
http://www.wildlifewelfare.org/Deer.html
Quote:
If an adult deer is hit by a car and still alive, call your local animal control, the police, highway patrol or the Wildlife Enforcement Division at 800-662-7137 or 919-707-0040 for Wake County.
*** Do not attempt or let others attempt to put an injured deer in a car or truck. They can kick out the windows and your head. Only those who know what they are doing should try.
I think we have a lot more critters than many places out west. Right after college I shared a house with 4 other people. The orthodontics student from Santa Barbara was very upset that he kept seeing squirrels that had been run over and said that North Carolinians shouldn't do that. It's not like people in NC try to hit wildlife. We just have a lot of it. Not so many squirrels in Santa Barbara I guess.

Wait til summer and you see the size of the roaches!

Last edited by poppydog; 11-19-2014 at 10:35 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 10:41 PM

Thanks so much for the info! I am so glad that you are safe

Yes, out here there's a lot of wildlife. Makes everything so beautiful! NC is the most gorgeous state!

I have seen a Copperhead and another kind of snake, Two foxes, and plenty of deer in two months! Very exciting for us new residents from the West Coast

Old 11-19-2014, 10:57 PM

I felt horrible for the poor deer. I really didn't see it at all until I hit it. I was really shaken up, but I wasn't hurt and couldn't find the poor thing. I'd like to think that it somehow was okay, but I doubt it.

Yeah, we've got snakes, foxes, possums, raccoons, rabbits, deer (we have a neighborhood herd, saw 4 in the front yard today), plenty of squirrels, too. We have owls that come hang out in our yard, red shouldered hawk, chipmunks, and lots of song birds, too. And roaches the size of song birds! Well, maybe I exaggerate, but big ones at any rate —*"palmetto bugs".

Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 PM

13,637 posts, read 12,272,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenloveralways View Post
I will have to be on full alert!!! Poor things! Who do you call if you hit one?
There are a couple of threads about processors in the area. Call Fish and Game to get a tag for it. Fresh, organic, free range meat.

At night, watch for green eyes, they light up before the deer.

At this time of year, they are rutting (mating) and are MUCH more active than usual, so there are more collisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary