U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 PM

10 posts, read 47,746 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am new to this, so sorry if this is a repeat topic. I didn't find it, but I got a lot of returns when i searched so I gave up.

We're new to the Cary area and are looking for the local shopping hot spots. Looking for cool local retail stores for my family and I, and need good recommendations. We live out in West Cary, on the far side of 55, so I am trying to find places nearby. Any thoughts? We found southpoint, but it is a mall, and we're looking for some other options.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,203,748 times
What kind of shopping are you doing? Beaver Creek in Apex, Crossroads in Cary and Brier Creek are big non-mall shopping areas. Beaver Creek is new so there are still a lot of empty stores. Cameron Village in Raleigh is a nice outdoor mall with somewhat high end/boutique type stores.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM

1,395 posts, read 4,801,224 times
I have done some internet searches for stores & have come up with locations for them in Cary only to find out their internet only stores! One day I was looking for some Doc Martens for my husband. I went to docmarten.com or whatever the site is. I found a store in Holly Springs which is not far from me at all. I did mapquest and drove there and ended up at someone's house! LOL I didn't bother to knock or anything. I just emailed them and found out they're not a brick & mortar store, but internet only.

Anyway, there are stores all over. It depends on what you're looking for. Downtown Apex appears to have some neat looking shops. I haven't checked them out myself, but I have been meaning to.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,531,102 times
South Salem Street, Downtown Apex
Franklin Street, Chapel Hill (20 min. from where you are)
Cameron Village, Raleigh (the country's very first outdoor shopping mall-many unique stores mixed in with some familiar ones)
North Hills, Raleigh (a recently renovated area that has gone quite upscale)

Happy Shopping!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 AM

3,102 posts, read 7,035,798 times
I find the Downtown Apex stores generally very lame. I love the look and feel of the town and used to live right downtown, but don't know if I ever bought any item in any of the shops (and I've been in them dozens of times). I wanted to support them.

Cameron Village and North Hills are good "fun" places to shop. Enough shops and variety to entertain. Hopefully Waverly Place will be good once it is renovated, giving Cary something in that vein.

Saltbox Village in Cary used to be kinda cool, what with the Fresh Market and Schoolkids Records, etc. But I don't think it has aged well. (Nearby, the Trader Joes is pretty cool).

For antiques, I like Pittsboro downtown a lot. 5 Points in Raleigh is another option (and I've heard something is opening in Cameron Village. The antique mall that used to be there was cool, so hopefully so will this replacement).

Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 AM

Smile Thanks for all of the replies!!!

So, thanks for all of the replies. We were out driving yesterday, just checking stuff out. We found most of these places. Crossroads was overwhelming, but amazing.

We also found Stone Creek Village, near Preston (The place with the golf course?). It had some pretty great stores for young kids (which was perfect, as our son needed new shoes.) (It also had a cute toy store, so I could get his attention. . . ah joy.)

Cameron Village just seems really far to go considering where we live, but thanks for the reco! We will check out downtown Apex this weekend!

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,203,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryMom2F View Post
So, thanks for all of the replies. We were out driving yesterday, just checking stuff out. We found most of these places. Crossroads was overwhelming, but amazing.

We also found Stone Creek Village, near Preston (The place with the golf course?). It had some pretty great stores for young kids (which was perfect, as our son needed new shoes.) (It also had a cute toy store, so I could get his attention. . . ah joy.)

Cameron Village just seems really far to go considering where we live, but thanks for the reco! We will check out downtown Apex this weekend!

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!
Crossroads is poorly laid out. I live in between Crossroads and Beaver Creek in Apex and I prefer Beaver Creek because of the traffic at Crossroads. There are also some cute children's stores at Salt Box Village in Cary (off Kildaire Farm). There's a children's shoe store that I really like, a great toy store that also teaches science classes and a children's clothing store.
Stone Creek Village is great and I like the kids' shoe store there too although when I went in the selection seemed a little limited.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 AM

We drove through Salt Box Village and it just seems kinda drab (I know that sounds horrible!!!) and it is a little less convenient. FWIW - Stone Creek's shoe store (Petite Soles) seemed to have a pretty good selection yesterday when we were there. We got our son some Crocs and some sneakers (he loves the Crocs more. . .) We also checked out some of the other places while we walked around. I will check out the science classes at the toy store though if you really recommend it and also look at Beaver Creek. It just wasn't on our way this last trip.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 AM

12,457 posts, read 30,354,115 times
When you are ready to do some SERIOUS shopping, the outlet mall in Smithfield is well worth visiting, even though its a further distance.

From North Raleigh, it takes me less than an hour to get there.

Vicki

Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 AM

997 posts, read 4,434,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryMom2F View Post
We drove through Salt Box Village and it just seems kinda drab (I know that sounds horrible!!!) and it is a little less convenient. FWIW - Stone Creek's shoe store (Petite Soles) seemed to have a pretty good selection yesterday when we were there. We got our son some Crocs and some sneakers (he loves the Crocs more. . .) We also checked out some of the other places while we walked around. I will check out the science classes at the toy store though if you really recommend it and also look at Beaver Creek. It just wasn't on our way this last trip.

Thanks!
If you liked Stone Creek (I live around the corner), then you will enjoy North Hills or Cameron Village. Though far, worth the drive. It is not your big box retailers, although North Hills has a big target, it is more your boutique retail style shops.

But if you want big box, Beaver Creek and Brier Creek will be your best bets. Brier Creek pretty much has everything except a Home Depot or Lowes . Beaver Creek though still new does have alot and growing by the day.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary