Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,904 times

Advertisements

Going to be purchasing a home after the New Year and have decided on Wake Forest however, we always like The Park at West Lake in Apex. Concerned about the Treatment Plant there though. Any input from residents there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:06 AM

386 posts, read 436,622 times
This question has popped a few times here over the last few years. Residents will swear they don't ever smell it, although when we looked out there about 3 years ago, on a muggy day you could definitely smell it. Maybe they have improved it since then.
For the record, it would not deter me from buying out there.
Every house would be on the market if the smell were a real problem.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
The fact that it concerns you means it concerns other buyers. Smell it or not, if you have to sell you may find the number of buyers limited.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:53 AM

I agree, and we know where we will be looking. I just have been to that community a few times and it really is pretty!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
It is a beautiful neighborhood. I had clients buy in all sections and they love it.

There was an issue with the water treatment plant a few years' back. The town of Cary had to adjust their chemicals to get rid of the smell. Since then, I've heard no issues with it. They had similar problem with the older water treatment plant.

I actually had a buyer who purchased a home that backed up to the plant. I discussed my concerns with re-sale with her but she wanted a home with no other homes behind her. The lights from the plant didn't bother her. She actually added a sunroom so she could enjoy the privacy. A few years later, she decided to downsize. We had no problems selling the house but I'd hesitate to purchase that close to the plant for re-sale.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:13 PM

I wonder why they build right on top of it. Its very pretty, the homes and the lay out.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
Here is input from a 7 year resident.
The Town of Cary took great pains and spent a lot of money to rectify what was at one time a minor problem. It was seasonal and confined to the southeast corner of the Woodlands section. They hired an outside firm to analyze the situation and made physical changes to the way the plant operates-this was back in 2008 or so.
I NEVER (I repeat, NEVER) smelled anything from my property. I am not nearly as far from the plant as many other homeowners.
I will freely admit under certain conditions there is a very mild scent that is not specifically identifiable, but it is confined to an area of about 6-8 homes and conditions need to be just right-hot, humid, wind from the Southeast. I think I noticed it maybe 2 or 3 times total this past summer-I open my car window and sniff hard when I pass that little section of street to check.
A few of the homes in the section that I would personally avoid have resold, with no more frequency than any other homes in the neighborhood. I haven't seen any adverse influence on home prices other than the fact that homes that back up to the buffer between the plant and the neighborhood tend to be a bit cheaper. I know some of those people and it is a non issue to them. It's also something that really never comes up anymore, and that's not because we all have our heads in the sand.
The neighborhood has a lot of plusses. We have great access to base schools that have improved significantly in the last few years. We have great access to many parks. We are in a little pocket that sits outside some of the bad traffic patterns in the area. We are a quick drive to Crossroads or Holly Springs shopping. 540 will pass close enough to benefit us but far enough away to have no physical impact on the neighborhood. The homes in the Woodlands section are exceptionally well built and offer great value compared to tract homes at similar price points. Our lot sizes are very different from typical Cary subdivision lots.
An RTP commute is not as easy as it would be from the 55 corridor, but still manageable. A downtown commute is reasonable. We have many secondary roads that give us flexibility in getting around.
We are very glad to have found our home and this neighborhood. We have no intention of moving. There really is nothing else with the same combination of attributes at this price point that I can think of, especially with the benefit of being in Cary limits.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:35 PM

Funky,
I have liked the community from the first time we looked there in 2009! Our only concern is the plant and Im glad to read it is a non issue. We are too far away to drive by it ourselves at different times, etc or we would!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
Funky,
I have liked the community from the first time we looked there in 2009! Our only concern is the plant and Im glad to read it is a non issue. We are too far away to drive by it ourselves at different times, etc or we would!
Stop and chat with neighbors...they will always tells you the good, the bad and the ugly!

Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 PM

26 posts, read 38,581 times
Live here. Love it. No smells since '08....and that was much of nothing....but they did cap the holding tanks after some complaints back then. Is really a best kept secret area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary