Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:56 PM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,942 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in learning about people's experiences using the Triangle-area Design Center for Standard Pacific homes. I know a bit about resale homes and home repairs and upgrades (i.e., the cost of things as DIY and/or with contractors), but I don't know much about how these things are priced in new-build homes as we have never bought a new home.

I've heard the process outlined as "go under contract on a home and then go to the Design Center to pick what you want . . ". This doesn't make sense to me as, like many people, I would want to go with as many standard features as possible to keep the cost down. Going into the model homes, they have upgraded (wider plank) floors and upgraded kitchen. It's standard to get "3-inch Shaw hardwood floor" and "42-in maple cabinets" and "granite" but how would you have any idea if you would like the color selections or style of any of these if you have not seen them (they are not what's in the model)?

We plan on working with a buyer's agent, and I know I could call and ask the sales rep, but I'm interested in hearing about the range of experiences people have had with the upgrade process locally and recently. I'm especially interested in learning approximately how many color options there may be for standard. For example, for the standard wood floor, is there usually one color, or three? If it helps, the cost of the home would be approximately $350k.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 02:08 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,839 times
Does their design center have open browsing hours? We recently purchased through Drees and this was an option for us. We went during the open browsing time and were shown what was included as standard and what was considered an upgrade (including the cost of each selected upgrade for our floor plan). Drees had a sometimes overwhelming # of options to select from IMO. Our buyers agent did not accompany us to the design center.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:27 PM

Thank you for that reply. No, the SP Design Center is by "appt only"; however, that would does not dissuade me from trying to get in there and it's good to know that another builder is allowing that locally because I think that would make it harder for them to deny the request. The fact is, I would NEVER make a purchase that large on something I had not laid eyes on, and if they standard options are all horribly ugly/offer virtually no color choice/etc. then I would not proceed. It's good to know at least with Drees, they gave you so real choices as standard. I'm really glad to hear that.

I can just imagine showing up at the Center once they already had the deposit and contract signed and showing me the most hideous cabinets that are uglier than what's in my 1966 home and having a consultant saying "you don't want that do you" and then proceeding to try to upsell tens of thousands of upgrades . . Maybe I'm too cynical

Old 11-29-2014, 03:55 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
When buying new construction, the onsite agent works for the builder. You said you would go with a buyer's agent and that agent should be able to guide you through this process. Yes, you want to contact that agent before you spend too much time at the model home and with the onsite agent. The more time you spend there, the less your agent will be able to negotiate.

Once you know the base price of the home, you'll also need to know which elevation and the lot premium.

You can expect to pay anywhere from 10% to 20% in options. It all depends on the neighborhood and you. Ask your agent to find out what most of the homes are selling for. That will help you.

Usually you get 2 visits to the design center. You can always get another. No, they don't like that but hey...you are spending your money...get what YOU want!

There could be standard granite plus level 1 granite plus level 2 granite. Could go up to 5 levels! Same with carpet, cabinets, etc.

You need a realistic budget and then stick to it. Most expensive items are cabinets, countertops, hardwoods.

Some items will give you a larger return when you sell.

There is just so much to know and understand when buying new construction. Make sure your agent is experienced.

Happy Shopping!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:17 PM

257 posts, read 491,530 times
I went through the design center process when we bought a couple of years ago. Since I lived out of state at that time, I flew in for the initial appt. to make the selections, stayed overnight, and went back the next day to make changes, before flying out. I took photos of my choices and other options to run them by the hubby when I returned home. We had 30 days to make additional changes. StanPac also has an Options Matrix which shows which phase of the construction the options have to be locked in and no further changes can be made. There's also a fee for changing options which goes towards your deposit. At least that was the process back then.

I recommend to have an idea of how you want your kitchen and bathrooms to look like in terms of colors, flooring, lighting, to guide you during the selection process.

Also, be ready to make trade-offs on what's most important to you. Usually, level 1 are not the most desirable options.. in order to move you up the higher levels for more money. For instances, white cabinets are popular and therefore, not available in level 1 (where I stayed with most options). I think they were in level 5 or higher, and probably 2-3x more expensive than what I chose.

Our purchase strategy was to spend $ on structural options like 5th bedroom downstairs in lieu of flex room/office, design options like crown molding, backsplash, ... stuff that we probably could have lived without but resale buyers expect, in case you sell in the future.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:55 AM

Thank you both, Vicki and Islander. Of course I am guilty of liking white cabinets but we're not dead set on them so that's good. It sounds like even though the base options were not awesome, there was still some choice, so that's good. Hopefully the process can be fun.

I really appreciate this helpful information. I went to the model homes on a whim a few weeks ago and then went back last weekend with my husband and two kids, so we've not yet developed a relationship with the sales agent. Looking forward to getting more info from a buyers agent.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Part of the builders' approach is to make a fine margin on items you cannot easily install later.
Hardwood and tile floors come to mind. Usually, folks mess their new house up when trying to do either later.
Ceiling fan pre-wiring. And, then you pay a large premium if you choose to have the builder install the fans.
Can lights.

Some items you CAN do later and get a good job. And you may save significant money, in particular if you are somewhat handy.
Crown Moldings.
French doors.
Screen porch.
Garage door openers.
Nicer lighting fixtures.
Bath hardware.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:40 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Part of the builders' approach is to make a fine margin on items you cannot easily install later.
Hardwood and tile floors come to mind. Usually, folks mess their new house up when trying to do either later.
Ceiling fan pre-wiring. And, then you pay a large premium if you choose to have the builder install the fans.
Can lights.

Some items you CAN do later and get a good job. And you may save significant money, in particular if you are somewhat handy.
Crown Moldings.
French doors.
Screen porch.
Garage door openers.
Nicer lighting fixtures.
Bath hardware.

Definitely agree with the above. There are some options that are just easier to do with the builder and you are going to mess up your house otherwise. Standard Pacific design studio is by appointment only? Do they give you an option list with the pricing? You should at least get that and add up your "options" in an Excel spreadsheet and see how much that is, before deciding on any new construction. Might as well add in anything you MIGHT upgrade in that Excel spreadsheet because these people at the design studio are pretty "smart." To know the worst-case scenario.

So any realtors on here have any comments on which builder has the most over-the-top model home? Some of these model homes are ridiculous. Many of the options are not even standard options and are custom upgrades that command a very high price. I think Ashton Woods model homes in Greys Landing and Braemore are pretty ridiculous. They need to tone it down.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:09 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
They usually have samples in the sales office. It's not the full selection of the design center but usually covers the basics (cabinets, tile, hardwoods, back splash, etc.)

I like to buy new construction inventory homes within my price range. Otherwise, I don't upgrade due to my thrifty nature and regret it later.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:06 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Definitely agree with the above. There are some options that are just easier to do with the builder and you are going to mess up your house otherwise. Standard Pacific design studio is by appointment only? Do they give you an option list with the pricing? You should at least get that and add up your "options" in an Excel spreadsheet and see how much that is, before deciding on any new construction. Might as well add in anything you MIGHT upgrade in that Excel spreadsheet because these people at the design studio are pretty "smart." To know the worst-case scenario.

So any realtors on here have any comments on which builder has the most over-the-top model home? Some of these model homes are ridiculous. Many of the options are not even standard options and are custom upgrades that command a very high price. I think Ashton Woods model homes in Greys Landing and Braemore are pretty ridiculous. They need to tone it down.
Have you been to the Greys Landing model?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary