Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 8,784 times

Advertisements

Read this -- [url=http://www.drloriv.com/lectures/starvingartists.asp]Starving Artists - Learn the Truth - by art historian Dr. Lori[/url]
Apparently the "starving artists" are overseas sweatshop workers! Explains why you see several copies of the same painting in a number of various sizes at these sales. Hardly original works of art and not worth the prices they charge for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aok82 View Post
Read this -- Starving Artists - Learn the Truth - by art historian Dr. Lori
Apparently the "starving artists" are overseas sweatshop workers! Explains why you see several copies of the same painting in a number of various sizes at these sales. Hardly original works of art and not worth the prices they charge for them!
thats really interesting, i never knew that.

And to think I always felt 'bad' by not going to at least SEE what the 'starving artists' had to sell!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:34 PM

655 posts, read 916,342 times
As an artist, I can tell you, it is soooooooooooooo much better to deal directly with the artist, rather then going through a middle man, or multiple middle men. These starving artits bizzares, sound like a bunch of imported crap. So much of that garbage floating around, mass produced, no passion, just pumped out for cheap sales.

I carve and sculpt stone. My art is very non main-stream and often discribed as highly unusual. I carve spiritually related themes of far northern people, Alaskan, Inuit ans Eskimo style. I've resided amoung Natives all my life. I also carve walruses, polar bears etc. Occassionally I will work will fossil bones etc. I sell everything I create direct. I refuse to let some peddler take all the profit. I made it, why give them the $.

I have heard time and time again, that my art will never make it, if I try and market it myself. Baloney, I say! My art is now sold worldwide and featured in gallaries all over the US, Canada, Japan and Great Britain. All market soley by myself.

I only say these things, for the benefit of all you collectors out there. You're so much better off both in price paid, a knowledge of what you are buying and getting something you really want when you buy direct from the artist.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM

473 posts, read 700,998 times
Default to Vnyrd re: eBay art for sale

I read your post with interest. Would you please tell us what you put in the search box to get this kind of result?

Also, I've had good luck with prints I've found at Michael's and JoAnn's and Craft Depot. You just have to be patient and go through all the offerings. There are also stores in the bigger malls that have prints for sale; some offer framing as well.

It's a matter of finding what YOU like, I think! But sometimes you need help!

Thanks for responding to my request!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I carve and sculpt stone. My art is very non main-stream and often discribed as highly unusual. I carve spiritually related themes of far northern people, Alaskan, Inuit ans Eskimo style. I've resided amoung Natives all my life. I also carve walruses, polar bears etc. Occassionally I will work will fossil bones etc. I sell everything I create direct. I refuse to let some peddler take all the profit. I made it, why give them the $.

I have heard time and time again, that my art will never make it, if I try and market it myself. Baloney, I say! My art is now sold worldwide and featured in gallaries all over the US, Canada, Japan and Great Britain. All market soley by myself.
Where can we buy some of your pieces, travelmate38? Feel free to DM if it's against the rules to post it. Or put ur website in ur profile.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM

64 posts, read 376,203 times
Nims, On Ebay, you need to search for what you want. Try a search for "Abstract Art". We found a real nice painting. Your search may bring up over 1000 hits but if you start perusing them, you will find paintings that appeal to you. We found nice paintings for our beach house by searching for ocean art, sea paintings, nautical art etc. Think of what you like and want and search on it. Most artists you find will be very helpful like the one posting here. They don't mind by-passing the middle man. Be sure to check their feedback and ask questions. If your uncomfortable, pass it up. Find paintings you like, put them on your watch list, and compare the prices. Don't jump right in but do some homework searching. You will find wonderful paintings for the price range you want. We also checked out galleries and frame shops to get an idea of what paintings and prints sell for. That will make you an educated buyer. Enjoy your searching, you'll be amazed at what is out there.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM

473 posts, read 700,998 times
Default buying art on eBay

Thank you for the very specific information. eBay is a fantastic resource -- I learn a lot just looking at the descriptions of the items I am interested in. And since there are usually photos with the descriptions, you are getting to see what you might buy (and of course can always ask questions of the seller).

thanks again!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,093 times
Default starving artist

I have been to the starving artist show it was on 280 in a hotel and i bought 3 paintings and they are my FAVORITE paintings i have ever bought. But I heard it from someone and I can't find it anywhere either and i would love to go back. So if anyone knows where to find this please help .I also found 2 of the paintings at Rooms To Go and they marked the price up about 4 times as much as i bought them for. But in order to get the good pictures you have to be there right when it opens or you are left with the left overs. I got there 30 mins early and there was already a line around the corner.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 PM

662 posts, read 1,643,710 times
I have to second (third?) the recommendation for local art, and ArtSpace is truly a great resource!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
I have to second (third?) the recommendation for local art, and ArtSpace is truly a great resource!
I found some great local artists on Etsy as well. I LOVE etsy. Just wish I had more $ to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary