Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times

Advertisements

I must say, Saturn, that I tend to agree with you- which is why we've managed to stay away from them this long...unfortunately for the type and size of house and neighborhood we want for the kids, we're being led down this path. We're in a nice area now, but no kids, and it makes for some boreddddd kiddos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM

261 posts, read 1,217,100 times
Default Glenkirk and Highland Oaks are great choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I must say, Saturn, that I tend to agree with you- which is why we've managed to stay away from them this long...unfortunately for the type and size of house and neighborhood we want for the kids, we're being led down this path. We're in a nice area now, but no kids, and it makes for some boreddddd kiddos!
Many of the homeowners in Glenkirk and Highland Oaks moved to those neighborhoods for reasons associated with their children. The neighborhood locations are convenient, near beautiful Bond Park, and generally in a nice area, with good school assignments as well as near several private schools and a ballet school. Glenkirk is a neighborhood of truly friendly people, and I'm sure Highland Oaks is as well. Your children should be able to stay plenty busy playing with new friends, making that minor annoyance of the mailbox color.....well just a minor annoyance

Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times
I can understand, I guess,why an HOA might put strict limits on what happens in front of a house (though I don't care for it), but why on earth should they care if I put a veggie garden in my fenced back yard?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
That's it in a nutshell, why is it their business and why do people buy in communities with these covenants?

If customers rejected the planned communities, they would no longer be created.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
I can understand, I guess,why an HOA might put strict limits on what happens in front of a house (though I don't care for it), but why on earth should they care if I put a veggie garden in my fenced back yard?
There is something out there for everyone.
Covenants vary from subdivision to subdivision.
Restrictions of varying levels appeal to different people.

The real question is: How is the HOA operated?
What type of person gains power?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
mommiewrites, have you really spent some time investigating non HOA neighborhoods in Cary? I only ask because you seem reluctantly resigned to it and I have seen some fabulous homes with plenty of children in non-HOA neighborhoods in Cary. You need to be happy where you live as well as your children! One HOA might be lenient NOW, but what happens when someone you don't agree with comes to power and pulls the rug out from under everyone? It can happen!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
I can certainly understand why people dislike HOAs. Some of them are far too restrictive. I don't understand why an HOA should govern the size of my birdfeeders or the color of my flowers. The rules in many of these communities are far too strict. Perhaps a backlash is brewing. One can only hope!

My community has an HOA. There are a few strict rules (mailboxes must all be identical; sheds and fences must be approved by the architectural board before construction). Other than that, they're pretty flexible. The houses here are very colorful & I've seen a few get new paint jobs (including new colors) without a problem. People don't care what flowers you plant in your garden. Basic things like that. It seems that the main reason why we have an HOA is to maintain the public areas - the walking trails and play areas. In this particular case, I don't mind having an HOA. But I'm keeping my eye on them. The identical mail boxes are as close to cookie-cutter as I'm willing to get!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
The common areas is a good rationalization by builders to justify creating these PUD communities.

Why not just let the city or county provide roads, lights, and parks like they always used to do?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:41 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times
mommiewrites:

Don't panic. I'm in an older neighborhood (Kenilworth, Parkway PUD) with an HOA. The enforcement of rules here is pretty lax: we all have to have black mailboxes, but several are "decorated" with, for example, an orange Clemson wrap. The guys downt the road have a Michigan banner hanging outside their garage.

None of us watered lawns this summer -- and no one narc'd on anyone. We have Friday trash collection. so if I'm gone for a F/S/S weekend and my trash can sits out, either a neighbor brings it up the drive (but, gasp!, it is still visible in front of the garage door!) or it sits on the curb. Not a big deal.

My advice would be to (1) read the HOA rules and (2) drive the neighborhood and see how strictly they are enforced. My HOA is pretty mellow, but I am also aware that it could turn on a dime if a stickler gets into power!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,687 times
FYI - HOA's have no real power. They cannot put a lien on your home other than for homeowner dues in NC. Legally they don't have a leg to stand on. If you don't pay a fine because you didn't mow your lawn, what will they do sue you? They would lose . Most HOA's needs 2/3 's of the neighborhood to vote to spend the amount of money it would take to sue someone. I doubt 2/3's of a neighborhoods homeowners would agree to it. I wouldn't say completely ignore the HOA because they do keep the neighborhoods looking nice, but the ones that get out of control don't stress. I am also a board member of a community in Cary so I know the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary