Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times

Advertisements

Thats interesting slynn.

It's not that I totally object to HOA's- There was a house in our old neighborhood that was a breeding ground for snakes, simply because of all the debris and undergrowth there, and it was an eyesore. In that situation, I can see the benefit of one. But once you reach a certain price point in neighborhoods, this seems to be a moot point. Someone wants to paint their house bright pink? Fine go for it- good luck selling it, but whatever floats your boat! I take great pride in my yard and tend to have one of the nicer ones, although with the drought I don't water, and I challenge any HOA to take me to court over a drought situation.

My objections come into play when it comes to making the outside of your house a 'home'. Although different floorplans, the outside of this home looks like everyother on the street for the most part- which I can live with, but I want to be able to personalize it and make it mine- a cute mailbox, maybe add or extend some flowerbeds etc...I can't imagine us doing anything that would be an 'eyesore' or lower values. We will need to add a fence, and will do so quickly, and it would be a nice one- not some flimsy inexpensive deal...

It's the little things, that give you the warm fuzzies and make you smile when you pull up to the house, and make you glad to be home, and proud to have family, friends and neighbors come over and visit and complement you on, that I want to do to make it 'mine'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:11 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
If you want to have the options you mention for your home, I would look for a home without a HOA. I agree with keeping mailbox the same and not painting house a crazy color, but flower choice and landscaping(softscape) should be up to the homeowner. I would suggest your realtor get the covenants for the neighborhoods you are looking at to see what you can and cannot do for each neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 AM

91 posts, read 309,132 times
When you neighbor paints their home pink with a purplish shutters, you are glad to have the HOA.. ( as one of ours did) when they tell you to take down your American Flag..you are not so happy anymore. I talked to the property manager recently for our HOA and she told me only 47 people cam to the annual meeting last year..I live in Prestonwood..that surprised me! But I did not go to the meeting either! So I think there is opportunity for change if you get involved..hey get elected president and make some changes!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
No one comes to or annual meetings. Its very sad. We have over 250 homes. The only time we see anyone is if they are unhappy about something. I guess we are doing a good job. If people are unhappy about HOA they need to run for a board position and get involved.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:16 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
So true! I saw one mailbox that was of a mail truck. Couldn't help but to chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
size of the birdfeeder? yeah, not so cool- enforced or not. I'm not a fan of HOA to begin with, and thusfar we've done well to stay far, far away from them, but with the size of house we are looking for, coupled with the fact we want it in a neighborhood for the kids, really points us into that territory....UGH.

One of my concerns (this is silly, i know, but important to me) is that I can have the mailbox I want. A mailbox that is not solid black with that conformist brass decoration garbage. Give me a fun, eclectic, bright happy painted mailbox! If I have to get bills from it, I may as well smile when I see it!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listlady View Post
When you neighbor paints their home pink with a purplish shutters, you are glad to have the HOA.. ( as one of ours did) when they tell you to take down your American Flag..you are not so happy anymore. I talked to the property manager recently for our HOA and she told me only 47 people cam to the annual meeting last year..I live in Prestonwood..that surprised me! But I did not go to the meeting either! So I think there is opportunity for change if you get involved..hey get elected president and make some changes!
Wouldn't bother me one bit.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Quote:
when they tell you to take down your American Flag
What???????????????

Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
What???????????????
Hedingham, Raleigh:
newsobserver.com | Agreement allows flags to fly on 4th (http://www.newsobserver.com/974/story/171780.html - broken link)

If you read down through this second story, it mentions a Cary (more precisely a Williamsburgh Commons) resident who was told to take down the American flag he put in front of his house.
newsobserver.com | Bill would expand solar panel rights (http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/569918.html - broken link)

I work with the guy. He put an American flag at his front door after 9/11 and was told, by the HOA, not by Cary, that it wasn't allowed. Fighting words for that Marine!

He handled it the only proper way. He went out and bought a larger flag!

And when all was said and done, he won the fines were forgiven, and laws were passed to protect displaying the Flag.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Glad the Marine won.

HOA's are plain stupid. City codes can deal with issues and provide needed services for your taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary