Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 63,633 times

Advertisements

I was traveling on I-40 near chapel hill and my radar detector went off suddenly!

I didn't have a chance to react since I was traveling with a couple cars around me.

I knew I was comfortably traveling about 80ish... though the cop brought me to his car to show me 88 on his radar.

I now have a mandatory court date and I'm planning on getting a lawyer... how dead am I with a 23 over ticket?

FYI I have Jersey plates on a mustang but a NC DL(just moved down to G'boro).

Old 01-03-2008, 10:29 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times
I'd say that attorney is a good idea. Not sure, but there is some sort of cutoff in NC over which the tickets/points go crazy, I think it may be 80 or 90 mph. Then it gets kicked up to reckless endangerment or something. Hope its 90 mph for you

Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times
Sorry.... here is the link NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Suspensions & Revocations

"In addition to criminal penalties that the court might mandate, conviction of certain traffic offenses will result in the loss of your driving privilege.
Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:

driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph"

So in addition to the fees/points, looks like its an automatic suspension.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Note that it says "convicted of". Just going into court and talking to a DA would normally get you to a 15-over plea, I'd think. But definitely hire a lawyer for this much over.

Be lucky you had an NC license. Since 15 over is a mandatory court appearance, you may have been taken into jail and forced to pay bond with an out-of-state license.

Slow Down

Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Note that it says "convicted of". Just going into court and talking to a DA would normally get you to a 15-over plea, I'd think. But definitely hire a lawyer for this much over.

Be lucky you had an NC license. Since 15 over is a mandatory court appearance, you may have been taken into jail and forced to pay bond with an out-of-state license.

Slow Down
I'm pretty sure just about every sate has reciprical agreements with each other now and that kind of stuff is no longer done. I know it used to be done in the past, but with the computer age, etc. it is no longer necessary.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:19 AM

Default This isn't good...

Forgot to add...

I have a clean driving record... had one in NJ and then had one since I got my NC licence back in June.

If I get my license suspended... that would probably get me fired at my job since I need a car to get around to different client sites.

I heard something about a prayer for judgement... though in a mustang, I don't know if that is a good idea (i'm just a ticket waiting to happen). I would get pulled over in NJ just for looking good

Any ideas? I have court in March which gives me time, though its in Chapel Hill! What a pain

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Nuke, just so you know, this ticket will have a BIG impact on your insurance here in NC. Any speeding ticket over 75mph is 3 points against your record (note that these points are totally seperate from the points that the state will put on your license). A ticket like yours could easily double or triple your car insurance payments for the next 3 years.

We found this out the hard way. Back in our old state, my husband got a speeding ticket for about 80mph in a 75 zone. Not too bad, right? Wrong. We moved to NC less than a year later & our insurance payments went waaaaaay up. According to the insurance laws here, it didn't matter how many mph's over the limit it was ... just that it was over 75mph. And never mind that 75mph is legal in our old state, because it isn't here in NC. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 AM

10 posts, read 50,019 times
Default Get a Lawyer and a Prayer for Judgement

In NC, the laws for traffic violations are tough, and the penalties on your insurance can double it for one ticket. HOWEVER, my husband got a ticket for speeding and got the prayer for judgement which knocked it down to 0 points, 0 impact to insurance. It cost him 108 bucks total. However, he was only like 15 over. Key point - Talk to the lawyer, b/c you were really flying and who knows how the judge will read this. THe PFJ will help you, but the lawyer will know the best approach.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 AM

144 posts, read 520,424 times
You are in danger of lossing your license and having your insurance sky rocket.

My son was pulled over for 70 in a 55, which is also a mandatory court appearance. He had a PA plate and license. We contacted an attorney who went to the court house and pled him down to 9 over the speed limit. He was only able to do this because my son doesn't have a driving record, even in PA.

From what I understand, as long as he doesn't get another ticket for the next 3 years, his insurance will stay the same.

We were told by a lawyer friend that your best bet is to get an attorney.
It cost us, in total, $250 for the attorney and court fees. Significantly cheaper than what the hike in his insurance would have been. And he did not lose his license.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 AM

Default Pfj

This seems like the best "get out of jail free" approach... but isn't it saying that nothing (even car accidents that give tickets) are going to happen in the next 3 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary