Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times

Advertisements

I like this idea, another good step in the right direction for downtown Raleigh!

Raleigh Looking at Downtown Land as New Concert Venue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I like this idea, another good step in the right direction for downtown Raleigh!

Raleigh Looking at Downtown Land as New Concert Venue

But...
But...
How will that affect the local Real Estate Market in 2008?

Actually, favorably, I would think.

I loved seeing the developers support Dix306. This is another amenity that will bring value, if it comes to fruition.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
I'm not sure I see the big need for this. What does this offer that Walnut Creek, the RBC, Koka Booth, the Art Museum, etc. don't already provide? Plus Moore Square and the old Alive After 5-type shows (not sure what the plan is for those with the convention center and f-street changes). Walnut Creek is struggling (as is the whole outdoor concert business right now). Just doesn't seem like the right idea at the right time.

IMO, Meeker is obsessed with making Downtown Raleigh into his little image of what it should be, to heck with whether it makes sense. And to heck with the rest of the city or county.

The chance was there at one point to have a downtown arena, btw. Way back in the 80s when discussions really got going about a new basketball arena for NC State, there were lots of proponents for building an arena downtown. IIRC the city didn't want it - worries about traffic, etc., so NC State decided to build it at the Carter-Finley grounds (it was MUCH later when the city came back to the table and Hockey got involved).

The real question is how much do they raise sales/propery/hotel taxes to pay for the initial construction? And then how much do they raise them again down the road when the place isn't making targets to pay for its
regular upkeep.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I'm not sure I see the big need for this. What does this offer that Walnut Creek, the RBC, Koka Booth, the Art Museum, etc. don't already provide? Plus Moore Square and the old Alive After 5-type shows (not sure what the plan is for those with the convention center and f-street changes). Walnut Creek is struggling (as is the whole outdoor concert business right now). Just doesn't seem like the right idea at the right time.

IMO, Meeker is obsessed with making Downtown Raleigh into his little image of what it should be, to heck with whether it makes sense. And to heck with the rest of the city or county.

The chance was there at one point to have a downtown arena, btw. Way back in the 80s when discussions really got going about a new basketball arena for NC State, there were lots of proponents for building an arena downtown. IIRC the city didn't want it - worries about traffic, etc., so NC State decided to build it at the Carter-Finley grounds (it was MUCH later when the city came back to the table and Hockey got involved).
I'll grant you...
The location of the RBC Center is a disaster, compared to a downtown or on-campus venue.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:35 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times
I really like the idea of more to do downtown, but it seems like the concery venues we already have are not being used enough. Many concerts I want to see jump from Charlotte or the Triad to Washington DC.

I am glad they are looking to keep the area green though.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 AM

836 posts, read 3,469,921 times
In the article. Meeker says the "tent cover" is already here. Are we sure they are talking about construction, or just fences, etc?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,107 times
I love this!!!

Especially if Pearl Jam finally makes their way here.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:20 AM

161 posts, read 602,230 times
The downtown amphitheatre would be for the acts that have been performing at Alive after 5 on Fayetteville St. Mall, and in Moore Square. Of course, the mall is gone, and Moore Square is not a great venue.

A downtown amphitheatre would not compete with Walnut Creek or RBC Center, which are for bigger acts.

I think it would be great, because one could combine a concert with a dinner and/or a walk and/or a visit to a bar, without driving from place to place. It would be a perk for the convention center.

I believe that a healthy downtown is good for the entire metropolis. A downtown is not just for the people who live or work there. Many people who prefer to live in suburban neighborhoods like to have a downtown to visit for restaurants, shows, bars, events, etc. Posters have stated on this forum that they decided not to move to the Raleigh area because our downtown was not up to par. Chain restaurants and bars in strip malls just won't cut it for many folks.

Since the lack of an exciting downtown has been Raleigh’s greatest shortcoming, it is only logical that improving it should be a major goal of Mayor Meeker and the City Council.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
The downtown amphitheatre would be for the acts that have been performing at Alive after 5 on Fayetteville St. Mall, and in Moore Square. Of course, the mall is gone, and Moore Square is not a great venue.

A downtown amphitheatre would not compete with Walnut Creek or RBC Center, which are for bigger acts.

I think it would be great, because one could combine a concert with a dinner and/or a walk and/or a visit to a bar, without driving from place to place. It would be a perk for the convention center.

I believe that a healthy downtown is good for the entire metropolis. A downtown is not just for the people who live or work there. Many people who prefer to live in suburban neighborhoods like to have a downtown to visit for restaurants, shows, bars, events, etc. Posters have stated on this forum that they decided not to move to the Raleigh area because our downtown was not up to par. Chain restaurants and bars in strip malls just won't cut it for many folks.

Since the lack of an exciting downtown has been Raleigh’s greatest shortcoming, it is only logical that improving it should be a major goal of Mayor Meeker and the City Council.
And that venue will be easy walking distance to the train station.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:09 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And that venue will be easy walking distance to the train station.
I agree with you and askmisterbrown as the better and more attractive Raleigh becomes the more us country folks will want to spend time up there.. Are they working on additional parking too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary